Need help asap Installing Brown Dog Motor Mount Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help asap Installing Brown Dog Motor Mount Lift

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Need help asap Installing Brown Dog Motor Mount Lift

I'm in the process of installing my Brown Dog Motor Mount lift and am having an issue. On the passenger side mount, I can't get a socket on the nut that's on the underside of the mount. There's a bolt that goes into the side of the block that holds the bracket on that seems to be in the way. What is the easiest way of getting a socket on that nut? Do I have to remove the bolt then tighten the nut then put the bolt back in? Any help would be appreciated.

05RedRME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
1fastR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get it done?
1fastR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm... I didn't have any issue with the passenger side when I did mine. Could you take some pictures to show us what you're talking about? The passenger side should be much easier than the driver's side if you have A/C.

M.O.R.E. Bombproof Jeep Motor Mount Lift Installation
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem that it sounds like you're having. There's pics in here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bm...e-help-795829/

My problem was that I hadn't loosened the 4 bolts for the transmission mount. Once I got those loosened up a bit, I was able to shift the drivetrain enough to take care of business...

Hope this helps.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
05RedRME
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to Brown Dog today and they told me the easiest way is to remove the bolt going into the block, tighten the nut then re-install the bolt back into the block. I'm gonna try tomorrow.
05RedRME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Engine mounts/lifts are quick & easy job.

Either way, here are the highlights of motor mount replacement.

1) Loosen the tranny mount bolts at the center of the skid plate. When the job is completed, this will allow it to sit in a "natural" state without putting unnecessary tension on the mounts.
2) Loosen, but do not remove both of the large center bolts that pass through the engine mounts & the brackets on the engine.
3) Remove the bolt & nut (on the stud) that attach the motor mount to the frame.
4) Support the oil pan with a chunk of 2X6 & a floor jack with a small amount of tension, enough to where the mounts just begin to lift off of the frame.
5) Remove the bolts that attach the motor mount brackets to the engine block on just one side only!

Remove that mount & bracket as a unit & change the mount on the workbench & reinstall it as a unit.

6) Tighten the bolts that hold the bracket to the engine to specification.
7) Repeat steps 5 & 6 for the other side. Lower the engine weight back onto the new mounts.
8) Install & tighten the bolt & the nut on the motor mount to frame attachment point. Then tighten the large bolt that runs through the center of the mount.
9) Tighten the 2 tranny mount bolts on the skid plate.

If it took longer than 1-1/2 hours you were screwing off.

Poly mounts last longer.
Poly mounts transmit more engine vibration through the frame.

You decide. We have 2 YJs at our house, both with poly mounts & I never noticed any difference myself.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good info.
Unread 12-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same issue with my build and took pics to send to brown dog. I was pretty pissed. I ended up reusing my old nut since it used a smaller socket THAT FIT.
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

going to try to knock this out this weekend hope all goes well!
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Tjosh97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
gy4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget that by raising your engine your fan is going to hit the fan shroud unless you do a body lift at the same time.
gy4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brown dog , mml , motor mount lift , install , installing , help , assistance , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.