Need guidance with TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need guidance with TJ

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
RayRay05
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Two inch with 35's looks real sexy but I don't know the first thing about how to go about doing that.

RayRay05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
slmason72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

He's BSing about the 2" and 35's... Just wont fit. Not even with the $1100 of tube fenders and flairs on his jeep.

I'm fairly new to all of this as well... Look up the Tj boot camp thread and the FAQ sticky... Loads of great info in those sections. Read up. You might even change your mind about the RC lift.

As far as what else you need, compare what you are getting to some of the other kits and see what's not included. I don't even see a drop pitman in that kit. What I do see, and you might not, is a transfer case drop... You know that pregnant looking belly pan under the center of your jeep? The one that makes it look 3-4 months pregnant? It's going to look 7-8 months pregnant with that kit.
The purpose of the drop is to (in-elegantly) try to preserve your driveshaft u-joints by bringing the severely adjusted driveline angle (4" lift = stock everything is outta whack) back close to the outside limit of acceptable.
Rather than drop the transfer case, go for a 1.25 body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. At least that way you should clear those 35s... Then is you have drive line vibrations, you can lower the Tcase Slightly with washers until it stops.

Your honest to god best bet is to read up and pick a better kit. Or go with a budget boost, body lift and 33's... You'll be happier.
slmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

I dunno I had a saggy *** 3.5 black diamond lift, with a homebrew hiline , on 35s with tons of room to spare . He's prob got a 2 " lift.....how are you gonna call bs when your new to the game ?
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
Nielubie
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You will need a new rear drive shaft for lifts of 4" or you will get vibration. I have a 4" RC installed and i'm dealing with vibration issues, next mod will be a Tom Woods rear drive shaft to eliminate that. Go to http://www.4xshaft.com and they have a HUGE writeup on why Jeeps (TJ)'s get vibrations with bigger lifts.

Bigger tires will equal less MPG. I had 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's and I was losing 50miles/tank. So if you decide to go with a 35" I have no idea what your MPG will be. Also you'll need to do something to make sure your wheels aren't rubbing when you turn. I have wheel spacers installed, work great on 33" but I still had a slight rub. Not sure if spacers would be enough for 35's, maybe they make bigger spacers for those applications.
Nielubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
slmason72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, back to the jeep thing after ten years... But not new to life. Yes, he could have an OME 2" kit under there and with tube fenders, he'll have the clearance sitting on flat ground. Doesn't mean he is going to have clearance, especially in the rear, when that suspension needs to flex. So, ok, maybe he isn't BSing, but he SHOULD be. I do like his metalcloaks though...

I've got a long way to go with mine, my jeeps PO installed a half *** 4" lift and half assed a few other things. To contrast the OP's plan, I'm headed for the currie-savvy 4" kit to replace all the crap installed on mine... Getting rid of the drop pitman with the savvy ultimate steering kit, Rancho or Bilstine shocks, 1.25 bl, 1" MML, SYE and dc shaft, UCF ultra high skid, Novak shifter, and 4.56 or 4.88's depending on if I bump up to 35's.
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #21
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't rush sticking a 4" lift under your rig, like mentioned above going to 35's is a big commitment.

A few things to focus on:

-You will want a stout front tracbar, Currie or JKS
-CV drive shaft in the rear, front can wait
-rear sway bar extensions
-new tt skid of sort (not necessary but should do it, may require MML & BL)
-Steering setup needs to be changed to a HD tie rod
-Consider upgrading the front sway bar
-Rear tracbar needs upgrading as well, you will constantly be messing with/repairing a relocation bracket if that's the route you go
-Upper and lower control arms (lots of options here)
-brake line extensions
-coils (based on your wheeling style and weight)
-shocks (don't go cheap here)
-Regear to 4.88 or 5.13 if manual trany
-I recommend 3.75 +-.15 backspacing on the wheels if stock width axles
-possibly relocate the rear shocks

I am sure there are several things I am leaving out here but you get the idea, this is a costly upgrade to do correctly. I have a very pricey lift that I have tweeked over the years and often it's a never ending mission to get the ride quality you want. Personally if I were to do it over again I would stick with Savvy/Currie on everything like others have mentioned (tho I am very happy with my Nth Degree Lift (AEV-Conversions, no longer in production)). I went for four years (purchased 2/03, lifted 01/07) waiting to lift my current Rubicon and glad I held out to get it done correctly.

my .02

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Trout98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im in the same boat as you... im 17 and my tj is my daily driver but i do like to take it off road every once in a while. I went with 33" tires. It gives you the looks of a 35" and the practicality of a 31". Also a 4" lift wouldnt be necessary for your situation either, i'd downsize a little bit img_1150.jpg
Trout98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmason72
Actually, back to the jeep thing after ten years... But not new to life. Yes, he could have an OME 2" kit under there and with tube fenders, he'll have the clearance sitting on flat ground. Doesn't mean he is going to have clearance, especially in the rear, when that suspension needs to flex. So, ok, maybe he isn't BSing, but he SHOULD be. I do like his metalcloaks though...

I've got a long way to go with mine, my jeeps PO installed a half *** 4" lift and half assed a few other things. To contrast the OP's plan, I'm headed for the currie-savvy 4" kit to replace all the crap installed on mine... Getting rid of the drop pitman with the savvy ultimate steering kit, Rancho or Bilstine shocks, 1.25 bl, 1" MML, SYE and dc shaft, UCF ultra high skid, Novak shifter, and 4.56 or 4.88's depending on if I bump up to 35's.
Sure you can. There are plenty of highline fenders on the market today that allow for large tires with little to no suspension lift. Ten years is a long time to be out of the game and a lot has changed! You shouldn't need a drop pitman arm unless you dropped the track bar too. If you use one without the other you get bumpsteer. Currie steering has nothing to do with drop pitman arms, it's about replacing an inferior tie rod and drag link. Inferior due to lack of strength not bad geometry!
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Surprised nobody has linked this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/. If done right can be a lot of money and/or work and sounds like overkill for what you want to do. Stick to 33s.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
slmason72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
You shouldn't need a drop pitman arm unless you dropped the track bar too. If you use one without the other you get bumpsteer. Currie steering has nothing to do with drop pitman arms, it's about replacing an inferior tie rod and drag link. Inferior due to lack of strength not bad geometry!
The PO installed the drop pitman... And most of the cheap kits now include one rather than do the front ends right. I don't have bad bump steer now, thankfully, but I do plan on gong back to the correct set up with the intent of eventually swapping my 33's for 35's. My current thought is that it currently works, if I'm going to fix it, I'm going to do it right the first time.

Not intending to hijack the OP's thread, but I'm dealing with the remnants of a lift kit like he's planning to install, so the issues I'm dealing with are ones he's going to face in the near future if he goes the cheap (and I'm not referring to $$) route.

And yes, ten years is a long time to be out of the game, but there's a lot more and much better options available today. And it's a lot more fun now, when my upgrades depend on when I have the time to do them and not when I have the money to do them.

I also went back and looked at those metalcloaks again. I do see where, with their modded rear option, they claim you can run 35's stock. I'm considering using them at some future point, but won't be doing it stock. Not sure that's where I'd sink my first $1100 though. YMMV.
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

Yea that is a ton of cash for some fenders. It would be a lot cheaper to buy that weld up kit on eBay and get yourself a lil Hobart handler and go to town . Then you'd have your fenders and a tool to boot.
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout98 View Post
Im in the same boat as you... im 17 and my tj is my daily driver but i do like to take it off road every once in a while. I went with 33" tires. It gives you the looks of a 35" and the practicality of a 31". Also a 4" lift wouldnt be necessary for your situation either, i'd downsize a little bit Attachment 509547
The looks of 35s?
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herklord View Post
Go two inch lift and 35s wayyyyy better

Attachment 509480
Your rig looks good with those 35s
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With 35s you'll want new axles. They stronger than the D35 and have the proper gear ratio.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.