need definitive answer on backspacing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need definitive answer on backspacing

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
derby

need definitive answer on backspacing

OK, I keep hearing different (conflicting?) information regarding the proper backspacing for TJs. I guess what I'm looking for is the definitive gospel regarding what is "correct" vs "what fits".

I have an opportunity to pick up (locally) some Rockcrawlers for $32-35 each. It seams that the Rockcrawlers come in 4.5 backspacing and I know that the AR767s come in 4, 4.5, 4.75.

What is the "correct" backspacing and why?

For what its worth, I have an '03 Sport and I'm looking at either running 32x11.5 or 33x12.5.

Thanks in advance!

derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
ShyD33

Derby, I was in the same corner. Here's the deal. Stop thinking backspacing and think offset ( they're related anyway to don't worry about the 3.75" vs. 3.62" vs. 4.oo" vs. 4.25 etc backspacing. Really its all gravy. Think Offset. The 15X8" wheels that come with the 30" alloy group ( what I have on my 2003 Sport) come with a POSITIVE OFFSET of +22mm. They're positive to fit underneath the fender. So if you go with a aftermarket 15x8" wide you'll get about a -22mm offset ( so the tires will stick out a bit ). 15x10" wide have "about" -44mm offset ( Ive seen this on AR and AE's). Finally 15x12" rims have about -56mm offset. One more...15x14" ( Huuuge) -72-ish mm offset. You're seeing confusing numbers ranging from 3.50" to 4.75" backspacing bc your seeing all different widths of rim. 15x8 you'll see about -22mm. 15x10 you'll see about -44mm. Now my opinion on tires: what goes up, must go out. ( to stabilize the side sway on a lifted jeep). So with 33's go with 15x10 for a "proper" stance since they'll stick out more than 8" wide to compensate for the height increase. (since you'd be4in up). 32's go with 15x8 (since you'd be only about 2.5 in up). Hope this helped.
4.5 Rubicon Express SuperFlex. Quick Discos. RE Front Adjustable TB. Tom Woods CV DS and SYE. TeraFlex Shock Relocators. 35x12.50x15 ProComp Muds. Cobra 75 WX ST CB. Firestik 2 Antenna. Teraflex Tailight Antenna Mount. Husky Floorliners. Wolo Train Horn. Rancho 5407 SS. TBT cage w/ spreaders ( now welded!) Optima Yellow Top.

" Jeeps should have passenger seat weight limits."
ShyD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
'drack

I think we spoke about this elsewhere, but it's gonna boil down to personal preferece. You can run 12.50's on stock Canyon/Gambler wheels with 5.5" bs. You can run them with 4.75 or 4" of AR767 bs(they don't come in 4.5", Tech one rockcrawlers do I believe, but don't quote me on that). You can run 8" or 10" wheels, depending on the desired level of looking like you're driving a convertable roller skate. I wouldn't go beyond 4" personally, just too wide of a stance. 4" would keep rubbing to a nonexistant factor, there might be some rubbing at 4.5" (all be it minor). 4.75" will create rubbing at full turn on the lower arms up front. It's doable, I run it. 5.5" is gonna require washers to adjust the front stops and grinding/cutting away some of the upper rear spring perch to avoid slicing a tire. Centering of the axles is also more critical when dealing with a tighter backspacing setup. So a definitive answer, there is none. Sorry.
Unread 11-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
derby

Quote:
Originally posted by 'drack
You can run them with 4.75 or 4" of AR767 bs(they don't come in 4.5", Tech one rockcrawlers do I believe, but don't quote me on that).
you again...

the rockcrawlers do come in 4.5 backspacing. my options as far as those go (according to 4wheelparts) are probably 3.75 or 4.5.
derby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.