Need a Battery.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need a Battery....

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
ATM?...
You know, the kind that dispenses cash to help replace itself.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

According to Johnson they fixed the problem with the Optimas in 11-09. So any Optima made after that date should be ok according to them. I have a Red top that was made 10-09 and it's ok so far.

I had an Exide Orbital out last the 84 month warranty! Hows that for a suprize? I couldn't locate another Orbital locally so thats when I went with the Optima.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
According to Johnson they fixed the problem with the Optimas in 11-09.
What? JCI actually admitted there was a problem? Where?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You know, the kind that dispenses cash to help replace itself.
Gotta get one of them!...
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
firefly21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Diehard Platinum P4, just installed so far so good, bought $200 worth of Sears gift cards @ Krogers so I can get 0.40 off 35 gallons of fuel sooo an extra $14 saved
firefly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
According to Johnson they fixed the problem with the Optimas in 11-09. So any Optima made after that date should be ok according to them. .......

Possibly so but with them still made in Mexico, I won't call them fixed till they move production back where it was and hire back those they put out on the street.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
...I had three... count them, THREE... Optimas die premature deaths in my '97 TJ within 8 years, two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top...
that was your problem right there, Jerry. Deep cycle batteries dont like to be used like normal starter batteries unless you have them set up as standalone batteries for your winch, welder, etc. deep cycle batteries like to be completely drained then completely charged. unlike starting batteries that only get used for a short burst of high amps to start the engine. thats the reason why your yellow and blue top batteries died a premature death.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #23
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the Diehard Platinum. Works great for me.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
mattttt25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a big boater, and boats need to handle the harshest conditions out there... trust me on this... go with the diehard platinum.
mattttt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
that was your problem right there, Jerry. Deep cycle batteries dont like to be used like normal starter batteries unless you have them set up as standalone batteries for your winch, welder, etc. deep cycle batteries like to be completely drained then completely charged. unlike starting batteries that only get used for a short burst of high amps to start the engine. thats the reason why your yellow and blue top batteries died a premature death.
While your comments are interesting, they don't match the Optima advertising for the Yellow Top:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/index.php

The YellowTop® high-performance AGM battery is one of the only true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and unparalleled cycling capability (rechargeability), it is perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YellowTop can repeatedly bounce back from deep power drains to full energy capacity, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Lower internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Trucks with winches, vehicles with multiple electronics, cars with high-demand audio systems, commercial vehicles and heavy equipment all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep cycle power.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i remember reading the optima site a few years ago when i was looking for a good replacement battery and for a while i did drink the kool-aid. but since learning about how normal starting batteries and deep cycle batteries as well as lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries, among others, work and their operating temperature ranges ive learned that deep cycle batteries should not be used in place of starting batteries. they just dont perform well in that application. hybrid batteries are pretty interesting as well and are much higher voltage, but have no place under the hood of our Jeeps.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #27
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
i remember reading the optima site a few years ago when i was looking for a good replacement battery and for a while i did drink the kool-aid. but since learning about how normal starting batteries and deep cycle batteries as well as lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries, among others, work and their operating temperature ranges ive learned that deep cycle batteries should not be used in place of starting batteries. they just dont perform well in that application. hybrid batteries are pretty interesting as well and are much higher voltage, but have no place under the hood of our Jeeps.
Really?
I've had the same 2 Yellow Top batteries under the hood of my 2000 Sport for going on 6 years and they're doing just fine here in Colorado...
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #28
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Really?
I've had the same 2 Yellow Top batteries under the hood of my 2000 Sport for going on 6 years and they're doing just fine here in Colorado...
interesting, my buddy has been through 5 red tops in the past 2-3 years...in Colorado.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
Jetscuh
O rly?

Just look for an AGM battery that isn't manufactured by Johnson Controls. Napa or Sears should be able to provide you with that.

We've never had a problem with any of our Red Top Optima's in the past, but I am not sure I'll buy them in the future. Leaning toward trying a Diehard Platinum next time.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #30
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
interesting, my buddy has been through 5 red tops in the past 2-3 years...in Colorado.
I may have got mine when they still made a quality product?...

Tags
battery , blue top , die hard , optima , platinum , red top , sears , yellow top

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.