Need assistance with Check Gauges Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need assistance with Check Gauges Light

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Need assistance with Check Gauges Light

A few weeks ago I took my rig out to do some wheeling. Driving on the highway at 65 mph I got the Check Gauges Light. Gauges all looked good and it drove fine. I pulled off the highway and checked everything and it looked good. Light went off.

Today took it out wheeling again. Was out all day and the light came on again on the way home. Gauges all looked good except the voltmeter had some movement. It was wavering from just below 14 to just over 14 on the gauge. Everything else looked good.

I stopped by Autozone and the battery tested good. Rig runs great and has no issues other than occasionally taking a few seconds on the key to start up.

03 TJ Rubi with 78 k, auto tranny. Battery is a 18 month old yellow top Optima

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check the battery cables, see if there's any green death on them. I had the same thing, Check Gauges and my voltmeter was moving back and forth. Checked my cables and they were corroded, switched them out and all has been good since.
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Low oil pressure, high coolant temp and voltage are the only things that will make the check gauges lamp illuminate. If the volt gauge is the only one you noticed moving it's likely to be battery related. Check the cables as suggested and clean up the contact surfaces of the battery terminals and clamps while you're at it.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.