Need advice on a weird (to me) problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice on a weird (to me) problem

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
FTW-TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Need advice on a weird (to me) problem

Excuse in advance the wall of text you are about to see, but I want to get as much info as I can in here.

My 2002 TJ 4.0 manual runs perfectly and stays right at 210 degrees coolant temp according to the temp gauge. The problem begins after it reaches this temp. Going down the road in 4th or 5th gear, all the sudden I get a huge loss of power, downshifting and revving causes a loud backfire. Eventually (2-3 minutes) it will clear up and run normal again. I get to my destination, turn off the jeep, and if I do not let it cool down, when I start it again it idles VERY roughly and sometimes will die. At this point, the only way to make it idle normally again is to disconnect the battery, clearing the PCM. I should mention, the CEL does not come on. If I let the engine cool down to around 180 (according to the temp gauge) it will crank and idle smoothly. I have removed the coil bar and checked the plugs, they are all look evenly used, no oil or gunk on them. I replaced the TPS a while back, had to tie wrap the plug to the TB to get it to stay, but it is fine. Anyone seen this problem? What should I try replacing first?

Thanks, and once again my apologies for the wall of text. I tried the search function, and can't find anything that matches my symptoms.

FTW-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
FTW-TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Also, when I put the coil pack on, do the plugs give a noticeable 'snap' back into place? I did not notice it.
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
FTW-TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did it to me again today. Shut her down, ran in the store, back out. Was in there maybe 15 minutes. I came back out, Jeep will not start at all (nor even fire). I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes, reconnected it, and after 3 tries it fired right over, backfired at the cat a couple times, and ran smoothly all the way home. This is really getting frustrating. I have read up on the TSB for heat soak, but it does not mention anything about the Jeep not even starting.

Tags
misfire , rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.