need advice/help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need advice/help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
smkuczka

need advice/help

Hello, I posted a new thread a few days ago about a problem I am having with my jeep and didn't get one reply. I really would like to get some help. Here is the problem: After my jeep warms up, which is about 5 minutes driving, it makes a whistling/squeeling noise. The noise isn't that loud when driving in gear and accelerating. When I let off the clutch it makes the noise very loud, it makes the noise even when I am stopped, but will go away within about a minute after being stopped. When sitting at a stop the noise will get louder when I rev up the engine in neutral. The noise is extremely annoying and I hope it isn't an actual problem with anything. Can someone please point me in the write direction.

smkuczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
qf4phlyer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just taking a stab here, sound like the throughout bearing to me.
08 Wrangler X DETN8R Yellow Rough Country 2.5" progressive rate coil lift, 2.2 shocks. 1.25" body lift, disco's, steering stabilizer. Benchmark EVAP skid. TeraFlex front bumper with shackles. 35x12.5x15 BFG A/T KO's on MB72 wheels.Cobra 75 on a Firestik. Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount. Ward bug shield, DayStar hood wranglers, upper dash panel. Qtech arm rest.

2002 Wrangler Sahara RIP
1979 CJ 7 258 RIP
1975 Cherokee S 401 RIP
qf4phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any addl info? Does it come from under the hood, under the jeep, the exhaust, a tire? Do you have throttle body spacer? Do you have deer whistles? and are you a deer?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
smkuczka

I don't think it is the throwout bearing, but not an expert. I had a 73 cj5 with a thorwout bearing going bad and it made more of a chattering noise than a whistle. I do know the noise if coming from under the hood. I don't have deer whistles and I'm not a deer, but thanks that would be cool. The noise does not start until the engine is warmed up. The noise gets louder when I rev the engine when in neutral, it still does make the noise when in gear but doesn't seem as loud. When I am sitting at a stop at idle the noise goes away in about 30 seconds. Thanks for help.
Unread 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's the Idler Pulley. Unfortunately it's very common on the TJ's. That's the small pulley next to your Alternator. You can get one at an autoparts store for $20.

Mine went twice already.
Unread 01-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If letting off the clutch makes the sound worse, I'd guess the Throwout bearing also. I don't see how a idler pulley would be affected by the clutch.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If letting off the clutch makes the sound worse, I'd guess the Throwout bearing also. I don't see how a idler pulley would be affected by the clutch. An idler is very easy to diagnose. You should be able to pop the hood and tell if the noise is coming from the idler. I use an old stethescope to listen for noises under the hood. Found a bad bearing in my truck altenator recently with it.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
smkuczka

Ok so having the clutch in or having it in neutral has the same exact effect on the noise, the noise isnt as loud when there is actually a load on the engine. I hope it isn't the throwout bearing, I like the stethoscope idea, I need to go pick one up. The noise almost sounds identical to someone whistling, thanks for the help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.