Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
SteveT77

Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP

OK Guys this is my last resort. I can't seem to figure this one out. Please Help.

Here are the stats on my rig:

2000 TJ
  • 5.3 V8 Swap with 4L60E
  • AEV Pintler 35" wheels with Spidertrax adapters / Falken AT tires
  • Stock Dana 30 up front
  • Ford 8.8 in Rear
  • Upgraded JE Reel Driveshafts front and rear
  • Super Short SYE

There are a bunch more mods but that the basics...

Problem:
I'm getting a moderate vibration at about 65MPH to 70 MPH on the highway. one large enough to be concerned with. From the frequency of the vibration I thought it was rotational it seems to come from either the center or the front of the rig but I can't really isolate the location. It doesn't escalate when you hit a bump and you can slow down to 50 MPH and it goes away.

What I've done:
I thought it was either a driveshaft or tires. I replaced both of my driveshafts and put brand new AT tires on with brand new wheels but no luck. I then went to steering did the whole move the wheel at 10 and 2 while someone checks the linkages... I replaced some of my stock steering components and nada. I checked for trackbar movement and it looked fine to me. I also checked Ball joints, unit bearings, all my control arm bushings.

I haven't been wheeling lately in the rig. It was perfectly fine and then all of a sudden out of the blue, the vibration appeared. So, I don't think it could be an axle.

I'm am at my end with this issue! Where do I go from here???

I know there are tons of threads and I have done everything I can think of....

Thanks for your advice!

SteveT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure your tires are perfectly balanced? How's your alignment?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you driven it with each driveshaft removed individually to see if it goes away?
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^This

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
SteveT77

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, I have driven it with the each shaft removed to see if it changes... nada

I could check the alignment but haven't thus far. It doesn't seem bad.

the interesting note is that it was driving just fine. Then one day out of the blue I got the vibration. no "event" to trigger the vibration.

I'm almost wondering if it could be an axel....
SteveT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem. I've taken the driveshafts out one at a time, bought new tires, changed u joints in the driveshafts and front axles, installed new steering stabilizer, checked all steering and suspension components, and it still vibrates. The only thing that helped a little was having the tires road force balance. I still have a vibration at about 65mph. It's been that way for 2 years and 50,000 miles. I hope you figure it out.
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.