Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
SteveT77

Mystery Vibration at 65 MPH - NEED HELP

OK Guys this is my last resort. I can't seem to figure this one out. Please Help.

Here are the stats on my rig:

2000 TJ
  • 5.3 V8 Swap with 4L60E
  • AEV Pintler 35" wheels with Spidertrax adapters / Falken AT tires
  • Stock Dana 30 up front
  • Ford 8.8 in Rear
  • Upgraded JE Reel Driveshafts front and rear
  • Super Short SYE

There are a bunch more mods but that the basics...

Problem:
I'm getting a moderate vibration at about 65MPH to 70 MPH on the highway. one large enough to be concerned with. From the frequency of the vibration I thought it was rotational it seems to come from either the center or the front of the rig but I can't really isolate the location. It doesn't escalate when you hit a bump and you can slow down to 50 MPH and it goes away.

What I've done:
I thought it was either a driveshaft or tires. I replaced both of my driveshafts and put brand new AT tires on with brand new wheels but no luck. I then went to steering did the whole move the wheel at 10 and 2 while someone checks the linkages... I replaced some of my stock steering components and nada. I checked for trackbar movement and it looked fine to me. I also checked Ball joints, unit bearings, all my control arm bushings.

I haven't been wheeling lately in the rig. It was perfectly fine and then all of a sudden out of the blue, the vibration appeared. So, I don't think it could be an axle.

I'm am at my end with this issue! Where do I go from here???

I know there are tons of threads and I have done everything I can think of....

Thanks for your advice!

SteveT77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure your tires are perfectly balanced? How's your alignment?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you driven it with each driveshaft removed individually to see if it goes away?
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^This

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
SteveT77

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, I have driven it with the each shaft removed to see if it changes... nada

I could check the alignment but haven't thus far. It doesn't seem bad.

the interesting note is that it was driving just fine. Then one day out of the blue I got the vibration. no "event" to trigger the vibration.

I'm almost wondering if it could be an axel....
SteveT77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
jpin86
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem. I've taken the driveshafts out one at a time, bought new tires, changed u joints in the driveshafts and front axles, installed new steering stabilizer, checked all steering and suspension components, and it still vibrates. The only thing that helped a little was having the tires road force balance. I still have a vibration at about 65mph. It's been that way for 2 years and 50,000 miles. I hope you figure it out.
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.