Mystery Tire Rubbing Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mystery Tire Rubbing Sound

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mystery Tire Rubbing Sound

OK, so today, I went for it and changed the rear brakes - disk & pads, adjusted the drum parking brakes, lubed all my suspension joints and ball joints, found out my exhaust was loose at the flange and tightened them up.

Everything was good before except I knew the rear brakes were dead. Now, whenever I turn two full wheels to the right while moving (i.e. typical 90 degree street without a stop sign, even at low speeds, it sounds as if my driver's side front tire is rubbing. I have inspected the tires lock to lock and there's no way it could be the tires on the flares - even in a turn at speed I don't get that much body roll with stock sway bar and quick discos.

I thought it might be my exhaust rubbing now that it's tightened up and in a "new" position, but it's really loud and sounds exactly like a tire on a flare. It doesn't sound like metal on metal. I can feel it through the floorboards while wearing tennis shoes. It's loud.

I also noticed that when going straight into my driveway at less than 10 MPH I get the same tire rubbing sound when I hit the little bump in the transition.

Before I did the rear brakes, when I first stared it rolling in the mornings, I would hear the tell-tale "woont - wount - wount" of a warped rotor coming from the rear that would go away as I drove for a little bit. I don't hear that any more at a rolling start as before. The rear e-brake drum pads were worn out, so I clicked them out a little. I do not believe I over tightened them because the e-brake is still worthless and won't hold against Drive idle with the handle all the way up.

I'm at a loss. This is not a necessary daily driver, but I was hoping to drive it more now to see if fixing that flange leak helps my mpg. That, and like everyone else here, I love driving my Jeep.

Could it be the front drive shaft u-joint going bad? If so, why would a right turn while moving set it off in this way and not a left turn? Any other ideas?

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Think I got it figured out, going to check the front axle u-joints.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well the tire rubbing sound while turning could be the tires rubbing on the LCA, look at those to see any signs.
Unread 06-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Well the tire rubbing sound while turning could be the tires rubbing on the LCA, look at those to see any signs.
Thought about that. The issue is it's not even near full lock when I get the sound. In fact, as I turn further, the sound goes away. I also notice the sound whenever the front suspension absorbs a load - albeit very briefly.

I could slap some masking tape on the LCAs and produce the sound to see if there's any rub, but it just doesn't make sense that a normal turn - that never produced any rubbing sounds before - would start at such a light turn now.

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Issues solved. When i tightened up my exhaust flange, it pulled the rear exhaust in towards the fuel tank skid. it rubs when I turn right . Bending that back tonight after work.

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.