Mystery - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Occulus

Mystery

Hi guys, I need the experts on this one. 2003 TJ Wrangler X.

The heater core went out and I put a new one in. The Jeep would crank and run fine before and after the core went out (every now and then I had to jiggle the keys to crank it.) After reinstalling the heater core I could not get the heater to come on (keep in mind it would still crank). I decided to sleep on it. The next morning I went out to continue working on it and to my surprise the blower would now come on but the Jeep wouldn't start. No clicking, nothing. Everything else has power (inside lights, radio, blower, headlights, blinkers, etc.) The starter is not getting power.

So here's what I have done. I checked the actuator arm (because of the prior jiggling) it was intact. I've changed the ignition switch and lock cylinder. I've got power coming to the ignition switch, inside fuse box and outside fuse box. I've switched out the relays under the hood. I can jump the starter using the terminals inside the starter relay spot (the starter just keeps turning over). I don't know what the big silver fuse is over the inside fuse box.

I thought about the neutral safety switch but I've never had to use the clutch to crank it before.

So here I sit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic by any means. I just think its crazy that it would stop starting by sitting over night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think for your year this is a large white connector on the driver side near door that, I've seen in previous posts, folks have not connected fully after swapping the heater core. They too had a no start issue until they re-seated it and made sure it was fully engaged. While yer at it check all the other connections you removed to get to the core as well.

Good Luck.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Occulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
I think for your year this is a large white connector on the driver side near door that, I've seen in previous posts, folks have not connected fully after swapping the heater core. They too had a no start issue until they re-seated it and made sure it was fully engaged. While yer at it check all the other connections you removed to get to the core as well.

Good Luck.
Thanks! I didn't disconnect those (I opted for the 'hanging the dash instead of removing it' way of getting the core box out) but I will reseat them anyway just to double check.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Occulus

So this monstrosity fell out from the depths of the dash when I went back poking around, saw a clump of electrical tape and this is what was coiled up. It was spliced into a yellow wire coming from the steering column. I looked it up and it was the ignition wire. I cut this out and wired the yellow back together and now the jeep fires right up! Anyone know what is this thing? Some kinda of rigged up alarm?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3982 (2).jpg  
post #5 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Occulus

more unwrapped
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3984.jpg   IMG_3983.jpg  
post #6 of 6 Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Jeepsr4me

its part of a alarm system... I have a box full of those things and the wires.... and the yellow is just the start trigger wire that they interrupt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.