my TJ heat soak issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my TJ heat soak issue...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my TJ heat soak issue...

So like the title says, i'm having the common heat soak issue. can somone point me in the right direction to a thread about a TJ having this issue and how to fix it, not a cherokee... all the information i'm finding is about cherokees or 99-01 TJ's. I have an 04, 4.0 AND i've already covered the #3 injector like everybody says...

urstolendesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been fairly active on this forum for some time, I have no idea what "the common heat soak issue" is.
(And I do understand heat soaking...)

Care to expand?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

when i've been driving around for a while after the temp has gotten up to normal range and I turn the ignition off, after maybe 20 minutes or so try to start it, it will start but run like crap like its mis-firing. common problem is vapor loc in the lines, the #3 injector gets over heated and the fuel gets too hot. So it runs like crap until new cooler fuel reaches the fuel rail (correct me if i'm wrong). The solution is to wrap that injector with some type of insoluation so that it wont get so hot. no matter how long it runs like that it wont throw a code, so i'm at a loss with anything else....
Unread 04-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe a bad ect sensor? You will need some way to view the obdii data to solve this without throwing parts at it. I've seen IAT temps in excess of 175*F and have never had an issue with anything. I seriously doubt the fuel is boiling in the rails with the engine off. Will it eventually start?
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
MudMonkey76
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2nd post down in the cherokee thread has the TSB # and all info, it states not just cherokee but all 4.0L 99-04

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...-p0303-669406/

hope that was what you were looking for
Savvy LED tailights, HID Xenon 6k headlights, JKS Quicker Discos[/CENTER]
MudMonkey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, thats exactly what i was looking for, but what happens after i've done that and it hasent worked?? I've noticed that my fuel lines run on the frame right beside my exhaust...should I try shielding those?
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't hurt...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check to see if the fuel psi is holding after engine shut down. If it does not, you will experience vapor lock related problems. Possible problems are the fuel psi regulator or fuel pump check valve.
Curly
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had luck double shielding ALL my injectors even though #3 was the only one throwing the code. Also make sure all the open webs in the intake are shielded closed. Since it does not return to the tank it is easier to vapor lock a returnless system (single pressure line). If I remember correctly I purchased my heat shielding for the injectors from summit it was much cheaper than buying from the dealer.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

urstolendesire,

What octane are your running in your TJ? You are supposed to run 87 octane. One time I ran 93 octane and had the exact same symptoms you are describing. I'm just trying to think outside the box on this one.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just running regular 87 octane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshively View Post
. If I remember correctly I purchased my heat shielding for the injectors from summit it was much cheaper than buying from the dealer.
do you remember what type it was? I was wondering what some sort of header wrap may work. but yeah, it is a return-less system, so that's a good idea checking that out. It'll work fine after the 20-30 seconds. If I start it back up immediately after, it runs fine. Once its had time to heat up, it runs like crap again.
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was just looking at Summit and I think it was DEI 010406. There was enough to do two engines. When I did mine I doubled it up, in other words I offset the cuts in the heat sleeve and put two on per injector. Offsetting the sleeves also helps keep the first one on. I don't remember paying that much for it you might want to check other sources. When I was done I had plenty left. Since I have yet to throw a P0303.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What plugs are in your motor?
My jeep came with NGK, I put in Bosch at 30K then started having heat soak issues, did the TSB repair on all 6 to be sure. Still had the issue, Bosch again at 60K, no change, and then back to NGK's at 80K. I rarely have any heat soak issues any more.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same issue even after the double insulation fix. From what I gather it was addition of the 2 mini-cats to the exhaust header (directly under the intake manifold) in 2000 that is what is causing the problem. The intake, injectors and fuel rail are just getting baked from the cats. It's fine with the engine running and the fan(s) cooling things down but when you turn it off after it's hot.... well it not a good design. Mine almost always throws a code in the summer if it doesn't have a chance to cool down for at least a half hour or so. When I go wheeling I just leave it running now. I've been thinking about this alot recently as it just happened a few days ago and the engine light is still on. I was thinking of doing the whole header and s-pipe with that header heat wrap insulation stuff they use on race cars and motorcycles. It should fix the heat soak problem as well as my "hot as hell" floor boards and feet on long trips in the summer. I need to confirm first if I can use it on the cats too or just wrap everything except them.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
urstolendesire
2004 TJ Wrangler 

interesting on the spark plugs, I changed them out a while back I cant remember exactly what i put in there but i did alot of research on here and put in the ones that everybody was saying I should for that year without a distributor. My check engine light did come on but it turns out one of my mini cats is bad (from what the after) o2 sensor is reporting, would that have anything to do with it??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.