My TJ has the shakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My TJ has the shakes

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ has the shakes

Okay so i have a 98 5spd 6cyl with a 2.5" RC lift and 30" A/T. Here recently my jeep has began to shake when going around gradual turns at speeds from 40mph - 70mph. It will shake violently until i slow down to about 20mph or slower. I realize its not a death wobble but it is so violent that i cannot just keep driving and it will stop, i have to slow down imediatly.

I do not have sway bar connects and im not for sure but i think my tierod is bent. I feel that this may be the issue, but before i started buying replacement parts I wanted to get some feedback on what my fellow JF's think.

Thanks guys and any input is welcome!

( )_) ( )_)--)_)
NakedCreekTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check your steering components for wear and loose hardware, also check the control arm bushings for wear. To rule out any alignment issues, go here --> http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
TheOrffs
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tie rod end bushing maybe?
TheOrffs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check the Track bar bushing and tre for play.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCreekTJ View Post
Okay so i have a 98 5spd 6cyl with a 2.5" RC lift and 30" A/T. Here recently my jeep has began to shake when going around gradual turns at speeds from 40mph - 70mph. It will shake violently until i slow down to about 20mph or slower. I realize its not a death wobble but it is so violent that i cannot just keep driving and it will stop, i have to slow down imediatly.

I do not have sway bar connects and im not for sure but i think my tierod is bent. I feel that this may be the issue, but before i started buying replacement parts I wanted to get some feedback on what my fellow JF's think.

Thanks guys and any input is welcome!
Not sure why you say it's not death wobble - sounds very much like it is.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps it is.. I was just basing my information from what others have said. And the tierod ends are good checked all of those. I believe my draglink may need to be tightened and the control arms need to check those. I also did the alignment and that didn't seem to help. But I do appreciate the input and keep the ideas coming I'm checking them all as I go.
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just had the same thing going on. I knew it wasn't my steering cause I had just replaced that, and found that it was a lower ball joint that was just barely gone. Not enough to tell with the wheel on unless driving, but on close inspection is was and the replacement of it fixed everything.

Hope that helps.
JeepManager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
jkjrngn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check your u joints, I had a shake when I got to 55 and replaced the front right wheel u joint and now I only get the shake on bumbs, I Jose replaced my track bar bushing and a rr steering stabilizer but the u joint did it for me, it's also pretty cheap if u do it yourself
jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First things first! I agree with "Mukluk'
Since it's intermitant, I would crawl under her and check ALL connections for loosness.... especially steering components, track bars and control arms. Ck front and back! Retorque wheel bolts , just for good measure.

How many miles in this TJ?

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Tj has 154000 on it roughly... I bought it at 151. I've been off roading and enjoying it. So by my inspections I'm being to thing that my drag link was just loose I tightened down on it, although it didn't seem to move to me... The shaking has gone away momentarily. However I can see some wear on the balljoints that probably are soon due to be replaced
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check this thread about the same thing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/death-wobble-1295392/
JeepManager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
death wobble , disconnect , problem , shaking , tie rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.