My Tire Dilemma.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Tire Dilemma..

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Tire Dilemma..

I currently have 32 x 11.50 Pro Comp mud terrains and are more than satisfied. They are nearly worn out ( its been about 3.5 years)

I have a 6spd, '06 with 3.07s out back. Currently, I have no complaints about gas mileage or performance. I don't offroad much at all and whenever I do its very light.

I'm thinkin about going for their 33x12.50..

My dilema is the 32's only measure 31.4" tall and the 33's actualy height is 32.5"....i'm wondering with this specific tire if I could get away with it...

what do you guys think?

FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It makes no difference.If you can deal with 3.07's and 32's,33's won't hurt anything.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
doubleroost
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just make sure that extra half an inch on each side of the tire isnt going to rub on anything. You should be ok though.
doubleroost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

bump..forgot to ask..i have 15x8 steelies on there now..i'm guessing I would have to go wider?

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
bump..forgot to ask..i have 15x8 steelies on there now..i'm guessing I would have to go wider?
As long as they have 4.5" or less of back spacing they will be fine.

What size lift do you have?
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As the others have already stated, you'll be fine.
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
15x8 is perfect for 12.5" tires though I'd sure start saving up to regear your axles to a lower ratio. 3.07 with 33" tires is gonna be a real dog, performance wise.

By the way, I sure like your new signature. As you can see, I'm a real fan of Jane Fonda.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
15x8 is perfect for 12.5" tires though I'd sure start saving up to regear your axles to a lower ratio. 3.07 with 33" tires is gonna be a real dog, performance wise.

By the way, I sure like your new signature. As you can see, I'm a real fan of Jane Fonda.
Thanks Jer lol, ..i don't mind how the performance is now with my 32x11.5's (actual height is 31.4) so I figured id stick with the same tire and just go an inch bigger..which happens to also run shorter than advertised at 32.5".

I go wheeling probably once a year and it's very light trails so breaking the axle shafts isn't a big concern really..plus I have a set of Yukons sitting in my shed that are supposed to be a little stronger.

My main fear is that the 1" increase will be a HUGE difference...

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

Unread 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To me, that last inch can be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Unread 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

My advice is your fears will be realized as the difference between the 32's and 33s on 3.07 gears will be night and day. I was suprised what a difference it made on mine when I went to 33's...and I have 4.11 gears. Listen to Jerry, it'll be a pooch on or offroad.
Your only saving grace is the 6 speed tranny can ease the pain to some degree of being undergeared, but since you state you don't wheel much anyway you have no real need to go up in tire size and further lug the drivetrain.
In other words: You'll feel the difference much more than you'll see it.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya, guys. I'll have to look into re-gearing. If I recall 4.88" is the size for the best performance? What's the step below that and can you reccommend a brand?

Unread 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hear ya, guys. I'll have to look into re-gearing. If I recall 4.88" is the size for the best performance? What's the step below that and can you reccommend a brand?
For your 6-speed and 33" tires, 4.88 would be too low of a ratio. I'd probably go 4.56 though with your 6-speed's slightly lower ratios, you could get away with 4.10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.