My suspension has been ordered, now for my rims !! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My suspension has been ordered, now for my rims !!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My suspension has been ordered, now for my rims !!

My 3.25 RC lift came in today. I don't plan on installing it until I have my set of rims and tires. My question is, I plan on mainly doing trails and such, would 15x10 be better then 15x8 ? Also, what kind of back spacing would I need ? I am also installing a 1.25'' body lift. What tire size should I run ? I plan on a 33'' with stock gearing on my 97 TJ S.E, Thanks in advance

LMG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
saddis
2003 WJ 

15x8 for sure unless you go really wide on the tire.

P.S. fill in your profile a little better stock does not cut it. We need to know what gears you have if your planning on running 33's.
BTW welcome to JF!
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddis View Post
15x8 for sure unless you go really wide on the tire.

P.S. fill in your profile a little better stock does not cut it. We need to know what gears you have if your planning on running 33's.
BTW welcome to JF!
Well, it's a stock 97 TJ s.e 6 cylinder. Don't they come with 3.73 gears ? I actually have no idea . The P.O never wheeled it, I believe the owner before last didn't either. The car is pretty mint for having 145k miles on her. I like the beefier look on the tires but don't want the tire stick out past the fender.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
saddis
2003 WJ 

Check the tag on the rear diff, it will tell you what gears you have. Yours being a 97 model the tag may not be readable or even there anymore. If it's not go to a dealer give them your VIN# and they will print you a spec sheet telling you everything about your jeep. Also while your under your jeep look at the diff to figure out if it's a D44 or a D35. The D35 has a rubber fill plug and has a round shape, the D44 has a screw in fill plug. As far as tires go 33x10.50'' look good if you dont want them sticking out of the fenders. Plus it will save some weight. If you do have 3.73's 33's will be ok, but it wont be no racecar.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check the tag on the rear diff, it will tell you what gears you have. Yours being a 97 model the tag may not be readable or even there anymore. If it's not go to a dealer give them your VIN# and they will print you a spec sheet telling you everything about your jeep. Also while your under your jeep look at the diff to figure out if it's a D44 or a D35. The D35 has a rubber fill plug and has a round shape, the D44 has a screw in fill plug. As far as tires go 33x10.50'' look good if you dont want them sticking out of the fenders. Plus it will save some weight. If you do have 3.73's 33's will be ok, but it wont be no racecar.
Well, my front diff has a screw on it to fill it in, the rear has a rubber, I changed the fluids out last week. I don't care much about speed, I own a wrangler don't I ? I on occasions go 75mph, but not much. More often then not, I cruise at around 55-60. Thanks for the help saddis !
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
saddis
2003 WJ 

Rubber plug= D35 join the group.Sorry dude Did you check about what gears you have? It'll probally be either 3.07's or 3.73's. DO you have a 5speed or a auto?
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rubber plug= D35 join the group. Did you check about what gears you have? It'll probally be either 3.07's or 3.73's. DO you have a 5speed or a auto?
Auto. No idea on the gears.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

please be sure to post how the lift performs! i have been looking at the exact same one
NoVaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
saddis
2003 WJ 

Your still in better shape to run 33's than us newer auto's b/c of the three speed compared to our OD.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your still in better shape to run 33's than us newer auto's b/c of the three speed compared to our OD.
So, 15x8 or x10's ? WIill the 10's stick out of the stock flares much ?
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
saddis
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMG23 View Post
So, 15x8 or x10's ? WIill the 10's stick out of the stock flares much ?
15x8's for sure! You will plenty of warnings not to go to a 10'' wide wheel b/c when you air down for wheeling a 15x8 will hold a bead alot better than a 15x10. And yes the wider the wheel it will stick out more.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
LMG23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
15x8's for sure! You will plenty of warnings not to go to a 10'' wide wheel b/c when you air down for wheeling a 15x8 will hold a bead alot better than a 15x10. And yes the wider the wheel it will stick out more.
Thanks !! One last quesion lol, should I get it with any backspacking ? And what is the bolt pattern ? I believe it's 5x5... thanks a bunch !
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Plus, the 15x10 wheel will get chewed all to hell a lot quicker than 15x8.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
saddis
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMG23 View Post
Thanks !! One last quesion lol, should I get it with any backspacking ? And what is the bolt pattern ? I believe it's 5x5... thanks a bunch !
Bolt pattern is 5x4.5
Normal BS for aftermarket wheels usually go b/t 3.75'' to 4.5''
The wider the tire the lower the # BS you want to keep from rubbing control arms.
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
saddis
2003 WJ 

There is a sticky on the top of the main page stock TJ specs. It will help you fill your profile out a little better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.