My RMS or Not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My RMS or Not?

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
jdg80129
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My RMS or Not?

I have a '99 Sahara 4.0 and it was dripping from the backside of the oil pan so being the inline 6 I instantly diagnosed the rear main seal. I have since replaced it but it has started leaking at the same spot again. Could it be anything beside the rear main?

jdg80129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
TJ4Jim
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Very common for the rocker cover bolts to be loose allowing oil to drip down the backside of the block winding up with a drip in the exact same spot as the RMS
TJ4Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check the valve cover back by the firewall.
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oil spilled when removing the oil filter can also end up there if not cleaned up.
Unread 01-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Oil spilled when removing the oil filter can also end up there if not cleaned up.
Not just that but also the oil filter adaptor o rings are notorious for leaking which again goes down the block to the back side of the oil pan giving the impression its the RMS leaking.
Unread 01-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg80129 View Post
I have since replaced it but it has started leaking at the same spot again. Could it be anything beside the rear main?
Very common to not seal properly and leak again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.