My RC 3.25" lift install (Pics and tips) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My RC 3.25" lift install (Pics and tips)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My RC 3.25" lift install (Pics and tips)

So, I finally got my lift in. It's the Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift (no body lift). I did the install almost completely by myself. I started at about 9am and finally got it knocked out by about 4pm. Whoever stated in the instructions that it could be completed in 2-3 hours, I wanna see that!!

I started off with the front which went fairly well once I really compressed the new front springs. As a tip, GET A SPRING COMPRESSOR. The old springs didn't require the compressor but did require my buddy to push down on the axle while I pulled the spring out. When putting the new springs in, make sure both front springs are out and jack up the opposite side from what you're working on. This will drop down the other side as far as it will go. Compress the spring almost as much as you can and then it will go in. The rear springs were really easy.......once I removed the rear track bar. Definitely do that first thing. It will make getting the old springs out much easier. Speaking of the rear track bar; when you put the new bracket in and drill your holes, the smaller bolts were supposed to through the holes top to bottom. With the front most bolt, I had to put it in upside down with the nut on top. It was the only way to get both washers and the nut on.

The lift in all wasn't bad and could easily be done in a day. I think maybe I got lucky though and had NO rusted bolts at all. The ride is fantastic. The ride is better than stock, handles great and does allow you to feel some bumps in the road which I personally like. I did not have to use the transfer case drop kit. I drove it afterwards and it only has very slight vibrations under acceleration so I decided against the TC drop. Your mileage may vary.

Now, here's some pictures.

Before

The new springs are definitely longer!

Pry bar to push down on.

I got to work in the presence of this YJ too!

Driver's side in.

Rear track bar bracket.

After

Very level without using rear isolators.

From the front. New steering stab in there too.

TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
So, I finally got my lift in. It's the Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift (no body lift). I did the install almost completely by myself. I started at about 9am and finally got it knocked out by about 4pm. Whoever stated in the instructions that it could be completed in 2-3 hours, I wanna see that!!

I started off with the front which went fairly well once I really compressed the new front springs. As a tip, GET A SPRING COMPRESSOR. The old springs didn't require the compressor but did require my buddy to push down on the axle while I pulled the spring out. When putting the new springs in, make sure both front springs are out and jack up the opposite side from what you're working on. This will drop down the other side as far as it will go. Compress the spring almost as much as you can and then it will go in. The rear springs were really easy.......once I removed the rear track bar. Definitely do that first thing. It will make getting the old springs out much easier. Speaking of the rear track bar; when you put the new bracket in and drill your holes, the smaller bolts were supposed to through the holes top to bottom. With the front most bolt, I had to put it in upside down with the nut on top. It was the only way to get both washers and the nut on.

The lift in all wasn't bad and could easily be done in a day. I think maybe I got lucky though and had NO rusted bolts at all. The ride is fantastic. The ride is better than stock, handles great and does allow you to feel some bumps in the road which I personally like. I did not have to use the transfer case drop kit. I drove it afterwards and it only has very slight vibrations under acceleration so I decided against the TC drop. Your mileage may vary.

Before

Pry bar to push down on.

Driver's side in.

Rear track bar bracket.

After

click free
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
brooksjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

EDIT: Beaten to it

Quote:

Before

Pry bar to push down on.

Driver's side in.

Rear track bar bracket.

After

no clicky......
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Yelladog1

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you run 33's with that lift?
Yelladog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Airdoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you say without using rear isolators, I'm guessing this means you did not use the rear 3/4" spacers?
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice......

I'll give you a few months and I'll ask you again to see how it's holding up since I've been really considering one of these lifts over OME.
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm gonna add this to the Upgrades section of my TJ Tech Boot Camp thread.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are those 31s or 33s, they look pretty big for 31s?

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The tires are 33x12.50-15 BFG AT's. They clear great. I would highly recommend getting some 2" extended bump stops though (which I have yet to do).

Quote:
I'm guessing this means you did not use the rear 3/4" spacers?
True.

I just took it up the canyon today and it rode great. Handled very well around corners, on washboard roads, etc.

Here's my dog holding my Jeep from rolling.

And my girl and her YJ.

And thanks for the no clicky!
Unread 03-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The tires are 33x12.50-15 BFG AT's. They clear great. I would highly recommend getting some 2" extended bump stops though (which I have yet to do).

True.

I just took it up the canyon today and it rode great. Handled very well around corners, on washboard roads, etc.

Here's my dog holding my Jeep from rolling.

And my girl and her YJ.

And thanks for the no clicky!
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
marylandjeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good! Those springs look like they are progressive rate, right?
marylandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks Good!
I have the same lift only with a 1.25 BL and 1"MML.
I DID add the TC Drop kit.
I did NOT relocate my front track bar.

Did u relocate the front track bar???
Jeep Green

Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
JKS 1.25" Body Lift & 1" Budget Motor Mount Lift
33x12.50/15 BFG All-Terrain's on 15x8 ProComp Series 51 w/ 3.75" BS
jrb470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well done!

Not a big deal, but I see that you put the 3/4" spacer between the spring and stock isolator. When I install 3/4" spacers I like to have the stock isolator in contact with the spring. Just a personal preference.

I've seen 3/4" spacers warp pretty badly in the rear. Over time those springs just push up into the spacer and cause all sorts of distortion.

Here's how I like to set it up in the front:

thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb470 View Post
Looks Good!
I have the same lift only with a 1.25 BL and 1"MML.
I did NOT relocate my front track bar.
Your front axle IS shifted over to the driver side with that much lift. You will need to run an adjustable track bar to re-center it.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did u relocate the front track bar???
I forgot to add that but I DID NOT relocate the track bar. I wanted to see where it was at first and it was still in the same place after the lift.

Quote:
I see that you put the 3/4" spacer between the spring and stock isolator.
I see your point there. It does look better with the spacer up top. I'm thinking about actually adding in the rear spacer. The more I look at it, the more it looks like the front is higher than the back.

Anybody else experience that?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.