my most significant mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my most significant mods

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
onemoretry
Oldbie

my most significant mods

So this weekend was the time to beef up the jeep... (no pictures yet, I'll have them up next weekend).
I started with a new best top two piece hard top. Looks great and fits well. The front squeeks a little, but will likely settle in after a little wear.
I did a performance accessories 1 inch body lift. I had been pb ing the thing for a couple of weeks so the bolts came out easy. This was the easiest part of the weekend. I highly recommend a 1 inch body lift if you want a little extra space. I liked having it a little higher for the rest of the job.
I did the 1" MML next (MORE bomb proof). This was a pain on the drivers side, not so much on the passenger. I don't have air, so I don't know if this would be different for others. I would have really liked to have directions here that were a little more detailed. Not just instructions, but rather tricks of the trade. Like lining it up etc.
I took the bumpers off for an upgrade and decided to do the quick discos. Not really a hard thing to do at all. Seemed to just fit.
I did the 2.5" HD OME next (No instructions at all, not really needed, but it would have been nice). The spring compressor made this an easy deal. Getting the old shocks off were a little pain in the... Next, I put spring spacers on (Teraflex). Took me forever to figure out that I just needed to pull the rubber stop out to get the spacer in the right spot. I really wish that there was even a basic set of directions with it, it would have saved me some time.
The Teraflex adjustable front track bar was next. Even with a pickle fork, it was a real PITA. The only thing that was harder was the rear bar. I had to grind a little of the bushing off to get it in. The two bars took about 3 hours. Seemed to me that it should have taken half that.
I put a Body Armor (not road armor) front and rear bumper on. They went on pretty easy. The directions for the rear bumper were written for any model, not just a TJ, so it took a little while to figure out that some of the bolts weren't needed. The swing out tire carrier was a 2 minute job. Both bumpers look fantastic and fit perfectly. I put the winch mount on for next month's upgrade.
Next I took it out for a drive. 60 miles an hour, no hands, went straight as an arrow. No wiggle, no jumping or bumping. I was totally amazed, so we took it in a little mud. It tractored through some pretty thick crap no problems at all. Took it home and looked everything over, no problems.
Took most of the weekend 2 people ( 1 guy that knew what he was doing (not me) and me).

33" 12.5 Pro Comp muds go on it next weekend with Rock Monster internal bead lockers. I haven't heard too much about them, please let me know if anybody has an hands on info.
Next month, I am planning on the TNT front tube fenders with extended flares. The psc back corners with the welded in 6" flares, tummy tucker, oil pan skid, diff armor, etc. Any thoughts on brands would be great. I am looking at the warn TI series winch and synthetic line. I am still deciding on rockers. Don't want to start anything here, but I remember Blaine etal talking about a rocker to end all rockers that was to be coming out around now, but with all of the rocker threads, I can't find where I read about them. If anyone has help here (MrBlaine?) please let me know. ToughStuff gaskets?
Thanks for reading, pictures will be up as soon as I get them...

Scratches, dents, recently revived transmission, more coming soon.
onemoretry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great to hear of all of your mods, please pass on pics and any "tricks of the trade" that you may have found out while putting in the M.O.R.E. MML as I plan on doing the same this spring.
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Silver TeeJay

Sounds like you had an excellent weekend !

Grats on the MODs!

[COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Silver"]Proud member of the KC Jeep Club![/COLOR][/U][/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Silver TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
onemoretry
Oldbie

Mml

The motor mount lift wasn't that bad...
1 st trick (I know the directs say this, but believe it) don't jack it up much at all even though it looks like it needs to be.
I still am not sure which one goes on which side. The look almost identical but they aren't. I don't think it matters, but I am not sure.
The passenger side stud was a little long for me, so I had to grind it off to get it to fit. I spent forever trying to figure out how to get it to fit. After I decided to cut it down (1/4 inch) it went it without a hitch.
If not too much of a pain, I think it would have been easier to remove the power steering box.
Do the body lift at the same time, chances are you have to do this anyway, but it really was easy to not have to mess with the fan (easy, but why do it twice) or the TC drop etc.

I just realized how much of a snot my original post made me sound like. Sorry. It took me 9 years to get through school and get a real job. I decided to do this right so I saved up for a long time and got the parts that I thought were the best all at once.

Unread 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
onemoretry
Oldbie

free stuff

Forgot, since I did all the mods, I have free stock bumpers, bumper ends, and springs for anyone in West Lafayette Indiana that wants them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.