My jeep will only go 15mph? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My jeep will only go 15mph?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
koen2005
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep will only go 15mph?

a week ago I replaced the radiator, after that I can turn the jeep on, but you can step on the gas, but it does not move, just revs up. It also will only start on the third try of starting it. anyone have any answers please
while trying yo start it throws out the code P230

koen2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Please be more specific. You have at least two issues
If your jeep goes 15mph then it is moving.
Revs up to redline?
We have to assume its in gear right.
What prompted the radiator change?
Were any of the starting issues present before the radiator change?
Did you need to remove any wires/connectors?
Disconnect the battery? Wierd stuff happens when there is a bad connection.
When it wont start on the first try does it click (Bad electrical connection) or turn over and not run? (No fuel, spark, computer/sensor issues)
Not trying to be difficult but its very difficult to diagnose a machine run by a computer, messed with by the owner over the internet.
CODE: P0230 Transfer Pump (Lift Pump) Circuit Out of Range Problem detected in fuel transfer pump circuits
Thats an odd code. Its your fuel pump, electrically related. Although they do go bad it seems to be uncommon for the pump itself to go out. Not starting without multiple tries could mean its losing pressure when its off.
Check fuses and relays first. (probably not since it does eventually run)
Check fuel line pressure w/o turning it on. Depress the schrader valve on the fuel line to insure you actually have pressure.(Fuel should squirt out at high pressure have a rag under/around it.) If not maybe bad pump, leak in line, bad check valve.
Next you turn the key ON, NOT start, you should hear the fuel pump cycle on and pressurize the system.
Check for pressure again.
Now start it. If it starts we may again be at the losing pressure issue. (I have had a similar problem)
You can get more technical and get a pressure guage. but were not there yet.

Last edited by Piratejonh; 07-17-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Piratejonh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
koen2005
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No, it does not redline-and yes it does move, but only when you push accelerator to the floor. It does go into gear, and the radiator was changed due to having a leak in top and bottom. the only issue that was present before was the starting issue - it would turn over on the second attempt. I never messed with any electrical parts during the process-and there is an engine wine coming thru the speakers too. when I try to start it, it sounds like no spark, have not heard the clicking yet. Ant today when I went out there, the turn sig and everything on the dash does not light up. when I depress the brake, it flashes check guages and the dome light turns on
koen2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
kuebelwagen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yikes...

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
kuebelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
mgaspard
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Your profile says you have an automatic transmission. Did you check the transmission fluid after you changed the radiator? The radiator has a cooler built into it. When you change the radiator, you lost some of the oil due to removing the lines from the radiator and fluid still in the cooler. As for as the starting, maybe some one else will know.
mgaspard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had a whining through my speakers in an old s10 I used to have. Turned out to be a bad ground
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let the Jeep sit for a while, then turn the key to the ON position, just electrical turns on, you should hear the fuel pump priming. Once the fuel pump turns stops priming, turn the key off and repeat the priming a few times. Then after a copule times try firing up the engine. If it fires up no problem its the fuel pump, if not it's something else.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , radiator , rpms , turn over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.