my jeep stinks-HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my jeep stinks-HELP

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep stinks-HELP

Hopefully someone can help here.
The jeep developed a very noticeable oily smell all around it back in April or so. For instance, you can smell it in a parking lot once you get close to it.

Some history:
I am at a point where I want to start opening up my differentials, transmission, and transfer case to smell the fluids.
I changed all of these about 25k miles ago, so I don't think believe they could be stinking. I put Royal Purple Synchromax in the transmission, not sure if this may it?

I used two cans of R134a trying to make my A/C work and it all leaked out before I found out I had a leak in my condenser. This was all fixed a week and and a half ago. For a while thought that might have been causing it, but am under the impression R134a doesn't smell?

I switched to synthetic engine oil two changes ago, and am now back on dino oil. I was thinking that the timing of the smell was about the same time that I switched to synthetic so I switched back. I cannot recall the exact dates, so this was only a guess.

I changed my rear main seal about 8k miles ago and just replaced the valve cover gasket, thinking oil may be leaking onto my exhaust manifold. I still see some residue where the exhaust manifold mates with the block. Don't know if this is coming from the valve cover or not, or if it could cause the strong smell.

I've sprayed the entire engine bay and basically washed the entire Jeep inside and out with Simple Green. Also pulled the carpets and roll bar padding and washed them completely.

It's driving me nuts. I see Pigpen from Charlie Brown when I think of myself sometimes. A few of the guys at work can definitely smell it on me even after working in the office all day. One guy says it smells like motorcycle carb cleaner. Another guy was looking at my jeep outside today after it had sat for 6 hours in the breezy air and said it kind of smelt a little like rubber.
Anyone have any suggestions.

J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Discovery
2007 WK 

If it smells like gear oil, than look at the 5spd shifter boot, I had a 95 montero that used to push transfercase gases up through the shifter boot and stink the whole cab up.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

eat breathe sleep smell JEEP
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

could it be diff fluid? i know that stuff has a very distinct smell when it gets old. maybe check to see if its oozing out your breather lines?
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
vic_sinclair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

R134a, like most refrigerants, boils away at room temps. It is long gone. But, they do add a lubricant to it that travels through the refrigerant system that would not as readily dissipate. No idea if that has a smell, but I have never detected a smell and I have been around several R134a accidental vent-offs.
IMHO, it's your gear oil. That's the most pungent smelling stuff in your Jeep.
vic_sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Ghaniba
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_sinclair View Post
IMHO, it's your gear oil. That's the most pungent smelling stuff in your Jeep.

+1, I agree.
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
hefightsfire
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I changed my rear main seal about 8k miles ago and just replaced the valve cover gasket, thinking oil may be leaking onto my exhaust manifold. I still see some residue where the exhaust manifold mates with the block. Don't know if this is coming from the valve cover or not, or if it could cause the strong smell.
If you have the leak fixed now maybe the smell will start to dissipate. My Jeep stank for almost a month after I spilled a good bit of oil on the block during an oil change. I tried to wipe it down but just the residue and places I couldn't get to was enough to make is smell like a hobo's taint.

Abraham Lincoln
hefightsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Forget the thread, I'm curious as to your life experiences that render you knowledgeable about the aromas centering around unwashed homeless people's nether regions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefightsfire View Post
smell like a hobo's taint.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Forget the thread, I'm curious as to your life experiences that render you knowledgeable about the aromas centering around unwashed homeless people's nether regions....
Now THIS is quote-worthy
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Removed, saw the reference to the previous post. funny now that the joke isn't on me.
Sorry.
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, I know gear oil is stinky, but I don't have any leaks at my breather tubes or diff covers. can the stuff go bad and get pungent enough to smell up a non leaking jeep?? Also, I was concerned about the oil in the A/C lines, that is mainly why I sprayed the engine compartment and jeep down with simple green before pressure washing it.

I don't notice the smell going away since my valve cover gasket replacement two weeks ago. stinks just as much as ever.
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do you shower?
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
do you shower?
Daily.
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check your rear axle vent tube behind the fuel filler. Sometimes oil can spew out of there leaving a mess you don't see but sure can smell! Also check for any oil caught in your TC skid. Wash that out really well. Simple Green is a pretty good de-greaser.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Check your rear axle vent tube behind the fuel filler. Sometimes oil can spew out of there leaving a mess you don't see but sure can smell! Also check for any oil caught in your TC skid. Wash that out really well. Simple Green is a pretty good de-greaser.
Purple Power is much stronger.

Tags
jeep , smell , stink

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.