My jeep is smoking!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My jeep is smoking!!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is smoking!!

Well when i got home to day from my GF house i pulled in my driveway and smelled a burning smell and got out and smoke was pooring from my passeger side front tire, not from the tire itself but from the brake area. Now im thinking my caliper locked up, because i have been noticing a pull to the right, but i thought it needed alineed, but with this happening i think it was my brake caliper slow going to hell. Whats your thoughts??

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Time for new brakes,rotors and calipers.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^ the funny thing is, i finally got a weekend off so iwas doing my brakes on Saturday, i have the parts in my back seet, although i only planned on doing pads and shoes, damn!!

Believe.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 View Post
^^ the funny thing is, i finally got a weekend off so iwas doing my brakes on Saturday, i have the parts in my back seet, although i only planned on doing pads and shoes, damn!!
Mine did the same thing. I replaced both calipers for about 40 bucks if I remember correctly. Depending on how far you had to drive it like that you might not have to replace the rotors...just have to take a look!
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ were those calipers new or junkyard parts???

Believe.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
kfbagt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

the jeep calipers go bad frequently. if it got hot enough to smoke you'll have to have the rotor turned or replaced. should be a quick job either way
kfbagt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

sounds like a frozen caliper. i'd personally replace both sides if thats the case. better safe than sorry. i mean hell i'm a cheap penny pincher like the rest of us, but i am never cheap on safety stuff. as far as the alignment goes, it might be a good idea too. having your vehicle properly aligned promotes even tire war for increased life also gives better handling fro improved safety. and better yet find someplace that offers lifetime alignments so you can go in anytime you smack a wheel into something too hard or it just doesnt feel right or suddenly your steering wheel is off center. also having your alignment checked regularly will help spot bad front end components. worn joints, bushing, etc can cause a vehicle to be unable to hold an alignment or sometimes even be aligned. best to spot problems early when they are cheaper to fix.

i often see coupons for free alignment checks from some of the major chain shops, so heck you can get it looked at for free even sometimes.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the bad part about this is my machanic lives 1/2 hr. away, do you think it would be okay to drive there? Maybe i could make frequent stops to let it cool down? And BTW i drove 15 min. before i got home and noticed the smoke

Believe.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
kfbagt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the bad part about this is my machanic lives 1/2 hr. away, do you think it would be okay to drive there? Maybe i could make frequent stops to let it cool down? And BTW i drove 15 min. before i got home and noticed the smoke
no... not safe. it could catch fire or pull you off the road or lock up all together and not roll if you heat the bearing up enough that it fails. its an wasy 30 minute fix with hand tools and a jack. you can do it yourself with a buddy to help bleed the brakes.
kfbagt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
DIY,it's very easy to do.
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should do it yourself. With two people(brake bleeding), changing rotors, calipers, pads shouldn't take more than 30-40 mins per side even if you've never done it before. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I changed into EBC yellows and centric rotors for the first time months ago and was worth doing it myself. Much money saved i'd say.
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane7962 View Post
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when i said machanic, i ment my GF's dad, me and him always work on my jeep together. Then again i think he has a trailer, so maybe he can tow it for me

Believe.
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
muddernaught
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So, you're gf dad helps you wrench on your jeep all time and lives 30 minutes away. You want him to load up a trailer and haul your Jeep to his house to do a brake job.

Why don't you just ask him to come over and help you do the brake job in your driveway?

Work smarter not harder.
muddernaught is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.