My jeep interior is wet and smells ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My jeep interior is wet and smells ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
chaznad
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep interior is wet and smells ?

My last jeep had a line-x tub but this one is carpet . It rained in it now the carpets and seat are wet and smell terrible especially since the hardtops on ,,, whats the best thing to do to prevent bad odor and mildew

Unread 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
AngusTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Take your carpets out, and line X it

honestly, i took my carpets out, and got floormats for the winter. you dont have winter, i'd just run bare floors, or have the floor pans line x'd or do it yourself. the carpet loves to hold in moisture and mildew to make it moldy smelling in the jeep

just my opinion though

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjleslie03 View Post
I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj View Post
yes, you wouldn't be able to steer
98' TJ, 4" Superlift, JKS 1.25" BL/ 1" MML, 8k Gorilla winch, Cowl intake, D30 Aussie, shafts/D44 Powertraxx, shafts (4.56's), Rusty's Adj CA's front/ RE Adj CA's rear, Recessed tails, sway discnct'd, 152 db train horns, 34x10.5 LTB's Amer Rac/36x13.5 Irok's Streetlocks, Grenade shifter, Pioneer deck/speakers, Warn bumpers, KC upper lite mts/Slim lites, EBC yellows, 40 series Flowmaster, couple tasteful more ...
AngusTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Febreze(kills oders,doesn't cover them up) and baking soda.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Jchris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I took my carpets out and herc'd it for this very reason...

Don't mess around when it comes to your nuts...
Jchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My wife's carpet and interior were the same and smelled bad.Vinegar and water kills oders well.
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

It all a part of the Jeep Experience...
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

take the top off and dry it out. and i agree with boogie man frebreeze works the best in my opinion
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The smell is from mold and/or mildew. The only way to effectively get rid of the smell is to kill the mold/mildew, the odor can't simply be removed with a deodorizer like Febreeze because the odor is caused by a living organism and Febreeze can't kill anything. It may remove the odor temporarily but so long as the mold is alive, the odor will return.

Get the carpeting dried out but while you're waiting for that to happen, start spraying it liberally with Lysol disinfecant which is what it takes to actually kill the mold & mildew. Spray it thoroughly every other day for at least 8-10 days since mold & mildew is not all that easy to kill. Laying the carpeting out in the sun will hasten the entire process.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The smell is from mold and/or mildew. The only way to effectively get rid of the smell is to kill the mold/mildew, the odor can't simply be removed with a deodorizer like Febreeze because the odor is caused by a living organism and Febreeze can't kill anything. It may remove the odor temporarily but so long as the mold is alive, the odor will return.

Get the carpeting dried out but while you're waiting for that to happen, start spraying it liberally with Lysol disinfecant which is what it takes to actually kill the mold & mildew. Spray it thoroughly every other day for at least 8-10 days since mold & mildew is not all that easy to kill. Laying the carpeting out in the sun will hasten the entire process.
Febreze did what Lysol couldn't when my cat peed on my floor futon bed.Lysol mixes with cat urine and is bad.Febreze kills the oders.You should give it a shot before condemning it.Lysol is toxic to pets too.I have a couple 5' plus monitor lizards and Lysol will kill them on the spot.I guess that's why I mention it,they ride with me often.
Unread 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I put a dri-z-air cannister with those white moisture collecting pellets in mine in the winter. Stuff still gets wet but it keeps it off the windows. I then just garage it every few weeks and let the carpets air out. I usually just leave out the little one behind the seats during the winter because thats where most of the water sits in mine.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
Febreze did what Lysol couldn't when my cat peed on my floor futon bed.Lysol mixes with cat urine and is bad.Febreze kills the oders.You should give it a shot before condemning it.Lysol is toxic to pets too.I have a couple 5' plus monitor lizards and Lysol will kill them on the spot.I guess that's why I mention it,they ride with me often.
I have Febreeze and use it all the time, just not when there is mold or mildew involved. Febreeze is great with pet urine smells since urine is actually sterile (yes, really) and nothing needs to be killed in order to get rid of that type of odor as is the case with mold and mildew odors. Since the OP's problem has to do with mold and mildew and not pet urine, I recommended (and still recommed) Lysol.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.