My Jeep with 5.5" RE Long arm kit installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Jeep with 5.5" RE Long arm kit installed

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Jbirdman97TJ

My Jeep with 5.5" RE Long arm kit installed

This is my second post on this site so I'm a little new. Just wanted to show off my jeep and see what yall thought of it. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jay
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286816107

Jbirdman97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Optik45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbirdman97TJ
This is my second post on this site so I'm a little new. Just wanted to show off my jeep and see what yall thought of it. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jay
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286816107

Looks good Jay, Welcome to the forum. What Gears are you running on your rig?
Optik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
SirGCal

Too tall for me. Nice to see you got rid of the thornbird tires though... (those are just bad... and not in a good way...)

I would take the Jeep t-braw thing off the hood as it will only drap dirt and dust and scratch the paint and the sun will not fade the paint evenly with it on so what isn't scratched will be darker if you do take it off in a few years. It's one of those things that I just don't understand why they make cause they surve no positive purpose. Just my opinion though.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Jbirdman97TJ

Well the thornbirds didnt look as good on my Jeep because there 33's and they had'nt been clean. I liked the tires they do great offroad and provide a lot of traction in the mud. Did you not like them because of how they looked? Anyways the bra thingy looks good to me. I wont leave it on for long periods of time. Maybe every other month. I should have a problem. The gears in the Jeep are 4.10s because its a 4 banger. I dont have any problems getting into 5th and the tires feel the same as the 33's. Thanks for the input.

Jay
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
SirGCal

You liked em? Your the first person I've ever heard admit that. Every once in a while someone around here joins up on a trail with a set and they usually have nothing but problems. We find them horrible in mud, on the rocks, even on wet roads. Just all-around a bad tire. If they were the first tires on your Jeep and you thought they performed well, I'd expect you to really like the new MT's.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
Jbirdman97TJ

Aight well I have some Super Swamper TSL's on my truck for a while and didnt have a bad experience with them. Even wear was tuff but I managed. Then I got the Thornbirds. I had them on my truck for a month maybe and they made a huge difference. Everything road smooth and they did good in the sand and the mud. They ended up on my Jeep and didnt have any problems with them. I found them to be a good tire on and off road. I just traded them to a friend for his 35's that I have. I havent noticed a change. I just dont want to have given him a bad trade. Thanks for the input. I have never heard that about those tires.

Todd if you read this and you have any problems with those tires I'll be happy to switch back.

Sir u live in Austin.. so where do wheel at? I live in Round Rock and havent found a decent place to wheel at yet.. I havent looked very hard though.

jay
Unread 08-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
PB Foot
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah where are the wheeling spots? I am in Round Rock also
PB Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics, and timely for me since my 5.5" RE LA kit is sitting in my garage awaiting installation. I'm actually seriously considering swapping the 5.5" for 4.5" springs since I'm not really planning to go bigger than my current 35" tires. What are your thoughts on the 5.5" lift height which is actually considerably higher than that? Where I like to wheel, it's easy to get too tall which raises the center-of-gravity too much which encourages tipovers or rollovers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 07:48 PM   #9
SirGCal

There's a big mud pit uptown behind the VFW in N Austin I hear (havn't been to that one myself). But I do some in SA lately since the slab closed down due to the new wounderful texas river law... But actually, I havn't been on the trails too much lately... I need to get back out there.

Quote:
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #10
under_psi

to add another + for the thornbirds, i love mine...i have about 1500 miles on them and they are both on and off road.....teh are not bad in the wet either, after considering the the size difference compared to the stock ones...i just added some heave duty hawk brake pads and get better gripping than the bfg at ko's that i had........

i like them offf road too....sand, mud, clay, and gumbo ***** are what i have to go through, and they preform like they should.....

many of the negatives posts and reviews that i read about them were from bandwagon haters (not implying that any of you are), that had never actually owned a set and made their OWN opinion....truth is, they do well on light vehicles like a jeep and if aired down properly (12-16psi) getting the side lug closer to the contact patch, they are the best all-terrain tire you can buy....they are also some of the best priced tires out there.....

nice looking jeep.....do you not need a swaybar with that kit?? or am i missing something??

lou
What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
under_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Great pics, and timely for me since my 5.5" RE LA kit is sitting in my garage awaiting installation. I'm actually seriously considering swapping the 5.5" for 4.5" springs since I'm not really planning to go bigger than my current 35" tires. What are your thoughts on the 5.5" lift height which is actually considerably higher than that? Where I like to wheel, it's easy to get too tall which raises the center-of-gravity too much which encourages tipovers or rollovers.
Talk to Jason over at Redrock. He has run both and prefers the 4.5's. From the people I've talked to with the 5.5's, you still get some wheel hop like on the short arm kits (that's what I have) when the tires spin. It goes away with the 4.5's. Again this is just what I've heard. I've ridden in jeeps with both but just on the road or in a field, no real testing. On a different note, the 5.5 kit has plenty of room for 37s.
Unread 08-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
Talk to Jason over at Redrock. He has run both and prefers the 4.5's. From the people I've talked to with the 5.5's, you still get some wheel hop like on the short arm kits (that's what I have) when the tires spin. It goes away with the 4.5's. Again this is just what I've heard. I've ridden in jeeps with both but just on the road or in a field, no real testing. On a different note, the 5.5 kit has plenty of room for 37s.
Very good input, thank you. I'm probably going to do the swap for the 4.5" springs based on that plus everything else I've been considering and hearing/reading. Plus I already had one 5.5" lift and it was a bit too tall for much of what I enjoy doing.

With the 1" BL, that's more than enough to run my 35" tires. I'll stick with 35" tires and avoid 37" tires, especially since even with my Warn inner/outer front axleshafts and hubs plus other drivetrain upgrades like rear Superior axle shafts, etc., 35" tires are all they can really take with the trails we tend to run out here. I've already broken one front axleshaft with just 35" tires, thank you.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #13
red89tj

Hey Under_PsI
I am the one that swapped tires with Jbirdman and I noticed a 100% improvement in the way my jeep rides....... love the tires !!
Hey Jbirdman, Under_PsI just saved you from my bounty hunter coming after you to get my 35"s back ha ha
Unread 08-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #14
SirGCal

All you thornbird-lovers must be suffering under some hallucinogen that's in the rubber...

Seriously though, if you like em, more power to ya. I have never has a set on my vehicles but I have wheeled and driven quite a few that have. My old neighbor used to have a set on his YJ. We took it all over the place and tried to beat the heck out of it on the trails.

The centers are too slick for the rocks around here and the didn't wrap the rocks as well as other tires, they slide on the slick texas roads when it rains and the soupy mud around here just makes em spin... Alot of it is probably due to the area and conditions but no one around here really likes em much that I've seen. You only see them on the occasional vehicle here and there and very few that were regulars on the trail.

But if you like em, that's all that matters... I guess... But after my experiences using them, I wouldn't take a set for free...

Quote:
Unread 08-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #15
Jbirdman97TJ

My thoughts on the 5.5" are that it's taller and I plan to run 38.5" tires eventually. The 5.5" kit doesnt really seem that tall to me but I'm a pretty tall guy so. Before that though I will be upgradeding my axles to Sunray engineering 1550 series axles.

I agree with Under_PsI. I think that most of the people that dislike the tires are just going along with everyone else. JMO though. Thanks for the support Under_PsI now my buddy doesnt have to jack his tires back.

Not taking a set for free.... HMM you must really hate that tire. Well if anyone every offers some to you free tell them to give them to ME!!

Thanks again for all the input

Jay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.