My HEMI build thread - chronicles of a NOOB. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My HEMI build thread - chronicles of a NOOB.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My HEMI build thread - chronicles of a NOOB.

Alright guys and gals, Santa came a few days early this year and brought me a 5.7L V8 HEMI from a 2007 Grand Cherokee. I must have done something good to deserve it! Besides, I always wanted to start a new thread with this title!

This will be a slow build due to time restrictions and mechanical inexperience. I'm a complete NOOB but hard-set to do something about it. I have never attempted anything like this before so I'm hoping that with the help of a few friends and JF this can turn into a great learning experience for everyone involved.

HISTORY
This engine came out of a 2005 WK which was bought by the previous owner at a bank auction. It was a good deal and he bought it with 25K miles on the clock. He was a hardcore offroader running a YJ on 14-bolt axles and 44" boggers, so he needed a powerful engine to handle the job. He pulled out the entire drivetrain and fuel system from the WK and bolted it onto his YJ. The ECU never knew the difference as he used the WK's gauge cluster. After some hard offroad use, the WK's transmission got fried so he beefed up the flywheel and clutch of his YJ's original AX-15 and used that successfully without any failures.

Eventually he was forced to drop the extreme offroad sport due to the "wife factor". He's got a Nissan Patrol which he still uses as the occasional offroad/hunting vehicle so he no longer needed this monster. Several people offered to buy the YJ complete but he turned them down as he didn't want someone else driving his baby. He decided to sell it in parts and that's where I came along.

Check out a couple of action videos with the HEMI in the YJ running 44" boggers.

REASONS
Several people have asked me why I'm doing this without previous experience or much mechacnical knowledge. Here are my answers:
1) I know how to turn a wrench, so why pay mechanics to do it for me?
2) My mechanic has never done a swap like this before so I figured I know just as much as he does at this point.
3) I will control the quality of the job.
4) I will learn everything about my Jeep, inside out.
5) I will repair or improve sensitive areas (eg. rust, wiring close to exhaust, etc)
6) I will proudly drive a rig that I built personally.

PREPARATION
Being an apartment dweller I could not do this out on the street so I rented a 430 sq. ft garage and bought myself some tools from a couple of retired mechanics. I now have an engine crane, a floor jack, axle stands, a 130A MIG welder, an air compressor and some basic hand tools among other things. I still need some more tools such as a lifting chain or sling for the engine and other stuff but I'll get them as I go along.

Many have told me that the most important part in preparation is correct labeling and storage of everything I pull off. I got myself a couple of rolls of masking tape, some Ziploc bags and permanent markers which should help in the logistics of this project. Let's not forget my fully charged camera as well.

So with the above all said and done, I'm eagerly waiting for your comments and/or suggestions as I plunge into the unknown. I'll start posting pictures tomorrow.

Unread 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Today's plan:
1) Remove the front bumper and winch (I've done this before so it won't be a problem).
2) Remove the radiator and electric fan
3) Remove the grille
4) Remove the fenders (this will be tough as I have the ABS assembly on the drivers side).
5) Figure out how to remove the A/C tubing...
Unread 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a hell of a build. Good luck!

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im assuming (sp?) that you are putting this in your TJ? Subbed!
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont_24 View Post
Im assuming (sp?) that you are putting this in your TJ? Subbed!
Yes! I thought that was a given!
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0blcktj6 View Post
Sounds like a hell of a build. Good luck!
Thanks! Will be needing lots of luck for this one!
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGeorgakis View Post
Yes! I thought that was a given!
Haha it kinda was. But I just wanted to check!
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to be glued to this thread like a fat girl to golden coral. Good luck. How much did the hemi set you back?
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
I'm going to be glued to this thread like a fat girl to golden coral. Good luck. How much did the hemi set you back?
hahahahaha interesting analogy! I bought his custom 4-row rad, WK e-fan, engine, engine mounts, headers, ECU, harness, gauge cluster, transmission, transmission mount, pedals, fuel tank with pump, NVLD pump and cats for 6000 euro ~ US$7800. Note that the beefed up flywheel alone costs 1500 euro ~ US$2000 so I think it was a pretty sweet deal. That's my starting price. Don't know what other parts I'll be needing down the line yet. Tools cost me 1200 euro ~ US$1500.
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Post up some pics!
Unread 12-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGeorgakis View Post
hahahahaha interesting analogy! I bought his custom 4-row rad, WK e-fan, engine, engine mounts, headers, ECU, harness, gauge cluster, transmission, transmission mount, pedals, fuel tank with pump, NVLD pump and cats for 6000 euro ~ US$7800. Note that the beefed up flywheel alone costs 1500 euro ~ US$2000 so I think it was a pretty sweet deal. That's my starting price. Don't know what other parts I'll be needing down the line yet. Tools cost me 1200 euro ~ US$1500.
Are parts always that expensive where you are located?

We can get Hemi drivetrains here in the U.S. for quite a bit cheaper.

Good luck with the swap.

Since the previous owner provided the harness, that should help. Hopefully he cleaned it up really well and eliminated all unecessary wiring for WK options.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried getting new All Terrains while I was stationed in Germany. It would have set me be back something around 300 Euro a tire. So I waited until I got back to Texas. Seriously though, I really want to see how this turns out. I might do something like this in the near future.
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Are parts always that expensive where you are located?

We can get Hemi drivetrains here in the U.S. for quite a bit cheaper.

Good luck with the swap.

Since the previous owner provided the harness, that should help. Hopefully he cleaned it up really well and eliminated all unecessary wiring for WK options.
Generally speaking, parts are two to three times more expensive here than in the USA. But I think I got the hemi for a decent price. I found the same engine on ebay.com for almost $4000 and that didn't include anything else with it. For around $7800 I'm picking up the entire drivetrain so it isn't all that bad if you think about it. Plus, it's coming out of a Jeep which I've seen first hand how it works so that's some sort of guarantee.
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Today I made some progress. A couple of friends came by to help me out which was great. I met my goal in 5 hours. Below are some picutres:

I started by removing my winch and my front bumper:

I then started disconnecting whatever I could find - radiator hoses, wire plugs, etc. I labeled most of the wire terminations so that I won't have to scratch my head when I put things back together. At some point I found a plastic box laying under the battery location. It has a small hose going to it. Does anybody know what it is?

I'm assuming this is my evap canister?

Grille off. It surprised me that some of the bolts holding the grille with the fenders was reverse thread.

After having the fenders removed.

Draining the A/C circuit.

Job complete
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I want to get rid of my ABS lines because I don't have ABS ever since I changed my axles.
How do I go about removing all that junk? The tubing is connected to the master cylinder so if I remove it I'll just drain the brake fluid out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.