My heater won't work??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My heater won't work???

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My heater won't work???

my jeep is a 99 tj with a 4.0......
it recently for some reason the heat won't heat up very warm at all the engine temp is perfectly normal and it has plenty of coolant but i have noticed that the coolant looks rusty colored... somebody said it might be a thermostate???? could that be the reason my heat won't work... i'm just tryin to find out what it could be because i'm aboout the flush the radiator and i want to fix it all at the same time

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
byrdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump it up
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Spike101188
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Drop the coolant. Maintain that or you'll have much bigger problems. Replace the coolant and thermostat at the same time, thermos are really cheap. Maybe give your system a flush but then u risk opening up and holes in your radiator that are currently clogged up. I would try flushing the system though... sounds like there is air in your system.
Spike101188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is the best way to flush the radiator ??? i'm going to do it myself
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Spike101188
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well if the wrangler is like the cherokee its a real pain. On the cherokee the drain valve for the radiator is passenger side by the headlight. This means u have to take off the header panel//headlight assembly. You can always pop off the bottom hose leading to the water pump but that can be a pain too because of the clamp. Prestone sells a flushing kit that you can splice into your system, prone to breakage though. The few times ive flushed mine its been either for a radiator replacement or hoes breakage so i had a simple way to flush. maybe someone will have a better insight for a wrangler. The technical way to flush it is drain all the coolant through the stop **** on the rad, then fill it up with DI Water, run it for 5 mins with the heater on full blast and let the thermostat open up. Then let it cool back down, drain the DI from the stop **** and fill it back up with coolant.
Spike101188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
rmellish
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get a higher temp thermostat. Problem shouldn't be the coolant.
rmellish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i think my thermostate is not shutting and thats why it's not heating up... i just want to change the fluid because it needs changed
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok new thermostate and flushed the radiator and still no heat.... the upper heater core hose is really hot and the lower hose is not as hot????? what is wrong with it???
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
57phinney
2003 TJ Wrangler 

your ther isnt opening. you have thermstate in the rite way.
57phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdi View Post
ok new thermostate and flushed the radiator and still no heat.... the upper heater core hose is really hot and the lower hose is not as hot????? what is wrong with it???
Blocked heater core .. or air lock (unlikely).

Give it a thorough flush .. do it properly.

Get some radiator flush (Prestone), dump all the coolant that will come out the bottom rad drain, re-fill with water adding the flush liquid .. follow instructions about running the engine. Let it cool down and dump the fluid again.
Repeat with another bottle of flush (if you can afford it and can be bothered).
After the final flush, dump all the water out the botttom of the rad drain, refill with clean water and run the engine up to temp again. Let it cool and dump again. Keep doing this until the water comes out clean(ish). On the last fill, fill with pure antifreeze.

If this doesn't cure it you'll need a new heater core.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

x2 on a blocked heater core.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
byrdi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i hooked a water hose to the upper heater core hose and water came out the bottom hose so i really don't think it is the heater core...... one thing i forgot to mention is.... i drove my jeep home from work (25miles) got out and immediately opened the hood to cool off and i went to let the pressure off the radiator by loosing the cap and it had zero pressure whatsoever and i had just driving it 25 miles????? what would cause that
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i hooked a water hose to the upper heater core hose and water came out the bottom hose so i really don't think it is the heater core...... one thing i forgot to mention is.... i drove my jeep home from work (25miles) got out and immediately opened the hood to cool off and i went to let the pressure off the radiator by loosing the cap and it had zero pressure whatsoever and i had just driving it 25 miles????? what would cause that
Sounds like two things. You have a low coolant level .. and you rad cap is leaking off pressure.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
charliekimberly
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i had problems with my 2000 jeep. you need to flush the heater core backwards. hook a water hose to the top connection and then a length of hose to the bottom connection to a pan and turn the water on. let it run for about 15 minutes. You'd be surprised how much dirt comes out. The owner before me put block seal in mine and when i flushed it the first time it just clogged up the heater core.
charliekimberly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what is the best way to flush the radiator ??? i'm going to do it myself
Did you conduct a FLUSH or just dump the old coolant? You can purchase a "FLUSH KIT" and flush chemicals from places like Walmart or your local auto parts store. You will have to cut the hose going to (or coming from) the heater core to install the flush connection. Pour in the coolant flush chemicals (into the radiator) and drive the vehicle around (as per instructions) and dump and flush the coolant system. If you have too you might have to remove the hoses from the heater core one at a time to insure that you are getting flow in the heater. NOTE: Carefully remove the hoses as not to damage the heater core. If you have good flow in the heater core the next thing to check in the thermostat. Remove it and insure you have flow thru the block. (You will be inserting water from the radiator to do this. I handle comes in your flush kit.)

If you have good flow re-install the thermostat, re-connect hoses and re-fill coolant system. Re-test the system.

You can leave the flow hose connection on the heater hose for future flushing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.