My heater is stuck on hot! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My heater is stuck on hot!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
AdamJ3000

My heater is stuck on hot!

This one of very few times I miss living up north. This may not be such a problem if it were 40 degrees out. But at a warm 70 degrees its a bit miserable.

The problem comes from something being wrong with the temp lever on the dash. It is stuck about 3/4 of the way to the right. It would be great to fix this, but it seems like parts are broken inside and will probably need to be replaced. Until I can afford to do this I would be happy just shutting off the whole heating system. Is this possible???

I tried pulling the HEVAC fuse, but all that did was kill the fan. It still generates heat which is blown in with natural air flow when I drive.

Please Help!
Thank you.

AdamJ3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

remove the whole HAVC controls, will have a hole in dash but wont be cooked, once you have it out see if something is jamming the control, and get new one from junk yard cost about $10 or so

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
tcox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when im not using the heat and i just want air, is it suposed to be hot air? i have no A/C btw.
tcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your lucky! Lets trade jeeps I have no heat!

But as said before pull of the black dash pieces then inscrew the HVAC control and see if you can see the problem from there. Maybe be an easy fix like the cable is caught on something...
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
gUanoTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, mines been stuck for about 4 years. Won't go more than 1/2 way to cold, but will go all the way to heat. I took it to the dealer when it first happened and they said no fix, just replace it. I guess I'm lazy but I never fixed it. Let us know if you find a way to fix it.
gUanoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Myers97TJ

This hapened on mine too, i went to turn it from hot to cold and it felt like something broke. Turns out all it was was a cable slipping off the back, just put it back in and it works fine
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
JeepnJames

Just pull the fuze out until you can fix it. Does the fuse for the heater work on anything else.
JeepnJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling the fuse or the HVAC controls will do nothing for you. You'll still have hot air coming through because the blend door on the heater box is still going to be stuck in the hot position.

For a temporary fix, look under the dash just to the right of the console. You'll see where the cable attaches to the heater box. You can move it manually right there.

Mine has been broke for quite awhile now and this is how I adjust my temperature. You can even do it while going down the road once you get familiar with where it is.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For a more permanent solution find the heater hose going to the heater core and put an inline shut off valve in it. My grandpa did that to his 48 Chevy when it was new because he didn't want heat in the summertime. We still have the truck and the valve.

I haven't looked at my TJ but there may already be a shutoff under there, if so just pull and plug the vacuum line and that should shut it off. I just had to replace the valve on my 79 F250, it rusted out.

No hot coolant, no heat.
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That happened to my temp control (I have no A/C, either). It was simply a kink it the wire.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #11
PFM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is a little arm on the core that the cable attaches to. You can manually move the arm to close the vent until you can get the cable squared away.
PFM is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.