OK, so we all know the TJ TC (transfer case) skid hangs to low, and aftermarket skids cost a lot. Building your own is nice and cheap, but what to do about those bolts? Get rid of em? We need to remove it still so cant weld it. Here is the fix,
I went to the local metal shop and ordered a piece of steel was 54" by 24" of 1/4" plate (its a little wide cause i wanted the extra for gussets for new cage). I then took measurement in rear of frame (bout 2" behind rear bolt hole) then went 24" toward the front and took that measurement (since frame narrows). Then I took these measurements and marked them on the plate and since I have access to a 112 ton press at work I had guy I work with bend it on my marks to 90 degrees, ending up with this.
I then measured height of frame and location of the body mount and cut them out and trimmed skid down.
Then with skid in place I drilled 3 holes on each side, and added some grade 8 bolts and ended up with this.
Now I don't have this finished but I will added some steel tube in the holes of the frame to keep it from crushing (I will weld it but not needed, just easier to install) and for now I drilled holes in bottom of skid and trans bolts just hang below. I will end up building a cross member like this one
, and I will weld some 1" angle on top edge of skid in a "^" pattern to help with bracing, hope this helps As of now I have $110 in steel, $30 in drill bits (broke one so really only $20, and burnt one up due to no cutting oil so could be $10) and $15 in bolts/washers/nuts.
New muffler is needed since OEM hangs below skid
A SYE (Maybe even a super short) will be needed if you have ANY lift since this accounts for a 3" lift in your drive line, you will need BL as well, a tub massage. I have 2" BL and it clears fine.
Edit; I checked upon request a 1.25" BL MAY clear with stock mount, but a 1" BL plus a 3-5 lbs hammer will work as well.
Edit 2015; I added the bracing and built a bridge to hold the stock mount. A Lo-pro and a SS-SYE is needed with my 4" lift.
You can also see where I had to notch out for the front shaft.