My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #61
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
thats what i was also thinking. with the size of the intake tubing and all, didnt yall say that the smootheness of a cold air intake wouldnt help performance? if not then i might just leave the filter and reroute the filter intake to the cowl. also, how have yall mounted your airboxes? i do rough offroading all the time so it would have to be mounted durably.

also, what about a cone or cylinder filter? that would eliminate the whole concept of an airbox and mounting. i was thinking a similar setup to kiddo's first pic in this thread, just in the cowl.
Feeding the the intake into the cowl and then attaching to the connecting tube to the throttle body makes the box pretty snug. There's also not a lot of room under there for it to move generally I did put one (or two) zip ties on it, but its not going anywhere.

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #62
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i meant if the airbox was relocated underneath the cowl, which is what a couple people have done if i understand correctly.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #63
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i meant if the airbox was relocated underneath the cowl, which is what a couple people have done if i understand correctly.
Its pretty snug in the cowl, I would imagine by the time you get your filter and any connecting tubing in there and tighten the cowl cover down that nothing will be moving.
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #64
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok, well i havent taken a look for myself so i wouldnt know. but are there any negatives to using a cylinder or cone filter under the cowl compared to the setup by kiddo?
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #65
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok, well i havent taken a look for myself so i wouldnt know. but are there any negatives to using a cylinder or cone filter under the cowl compared to the setup by kiddo?
I don't have personal experience with those so not my place to just repeat what I have read. Do a search for any of the brand names of popular under hood after market filters and you will find plenty of opinions . . . . most of them negative.
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #66
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well im thinking a cylinder or cone filter would be much simpler, and just provide cover from rain and mud with a scoop and some screen/prefilter on the cowl vent.
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #67
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

and the bad opinions about after market air filters are either lack in performance increase or lack in filtration, im just talking about the idea and concept of a simpler filter that does NOT require an airbox.
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #68
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! This post has given me SOOOOO many great cold air MOD Ideas! WELL DONE! I even have a Ford F-150 filter assy off my old 97 F150 that I can use!

I also like the Idea of moving the IAT sensor. I plan on making a MAP sensor scaler and using my wide band O2 sensor to adjust my Air Fuel Ratio. Cant wait to see the results. You can BET that there will be picture attached!!!

BC
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #69
wahooz04jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz2000 View Post
I recently modified my air intake using the stock air box. Ive seen a lot of these aftermarket filter on a stick designs for over 200 bucks but all i did was remove the small stock snorkel and made a small ram air with a smoother bend in it about 2 1/2 in diameter with the opening sitting right next the core support next to the gap when the hood is closed. No more sucking in hot air and that gap on jeeps is so wide it sucks or rams in plenty of cool outside air. Then i kept the stock air box but put in a drop in K&N filter. Next i replaced that cheesy stock intake tube with all the extra bends , that accordion section and the small diameter of 2 inches with ABS tubing,connectors from Home Depot, gained an extra inch in diameter and more direct to throttle body design. oh plus i put in a push in breather filter on top of valve cover. Wow, what a difference it made in performance plus it looks good . Im telling u, i used to fall back going up hills , now it pulls away. i can send pics , email if anyone interested.
You're PM box is full Robz. Can you PM me:
build up w/ parts, tools, and some pics?

OlllllllO http://dirtroad.com/jeepwave/ I wave
wahooz04jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #70
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look like he's been on since April 2009.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.