My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #46
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
And your stock intake or an open under hood filter would be better? If water is over the top of the hood those are going to be underwater. If you've got enough water coming over the top of your hood such that its all the way to base of the windshield the only type of intake that saves you is a snorkel. Actually, even with this mod I wouldn't want to be deep enough that water was coming over top of hood. Would worry about cowl filling from the bottom up through the drain. That being said IMO cowl is better place for intake than stock for a couple reasons - higher, cool air, avoid dipping front end into holes, fan doesn't throw water into intake, etc.
When water enters the stock box it enters below the filter. There are holes in the stock box for the water to drain. Water is heavy and you motor isn't going to suck it in unless you saturate it. I have had water come into my box more than once. The bottom of the box had mud, twigs and leaves in it but the filter is still dry. It is a good design. There have many times where I have gone through water and it has run acroos my hood, not water that deep but it has washed across my hood esp. when moving with any speed. With this design you have gravity working against you. The water will settle on the filter and quickly saturate it, no avoiding that. With much more than a puddle or a heavy mist that desgin but the motor at risk.

I will admit it will draw cooler air, but a snorkle would be a better option.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #47
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
When water enters the stock box it enters below the filter. There are holes in the stock box for the water to drain. Water is heavy and you motor isn't going to suck it in unless you saturate it. I have had water come into my box more than once. The bottom of the box had mud, twigs and leaves in it but the filter is still dry. It is a good design. There have many times where I have gone through water and it has run acroos my hood, not water that deep but it has washed across my hood esp. when moving with any speed. With this design you have gravity working against you. The water will settle on the filter and quickly saturate it, no avoiding that. With much more than a puddle or a heavy mist that desgin but the motor at risk.

I will admit it will draw cooler air, but a snorkle would be a better option.
If you're talking about water just washing over the hood but not truly that deep the OP's setup could result in a soggy filter. My setup breathes through the cowl, but the filter is in a windstar box under the hood. My intake is not directly under the vent, obviously comes into the cowl at a right angle to the vent and is a couple inches off the bottom of the cowl. Water going down vent should just go straight down and out cowl drain (which is pretty big on my 06) as long as I keep it open and not get pulled into the intake.
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #48
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get to the area underneath the cowl vent? i understand all of this, just not completely understanding how the whole filter/airbox gets underneath the vent.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #49
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmblack3 View Post
sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get to the area underneath the cowl vent? i understand all of this, just not completely understanding how the whole filter/airbox gets underneath the vent.
Remove wipers, remove screws, remove cowl...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
03JeepTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really thinking about doing this.. I mean, what do you honestly have to lose? But I like the way the filter sits in the Before Picture.. But could it stay there? or did you move it because it was getting water or something?
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #51
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok, makes sense, thanks! just didnt know how yall were going about it but i thought it was something like that. forgot how simple removing jeep parts was lol.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #52
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Remove wipers, remove screws, remove cowl...
If you do this mod and then put on a cowl scoop be careful not to cover up the screw by the vent with your cowl scoop. Makes it hard to remove the cowl next time if you do cover it up. Seems simple right? Of course nobody would ever be that dumb. Well . . . . .
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #53
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

lol, hate stupid mistakes. so what airbox should i use for this? i want to be as direct as possible to have best performance.
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #54
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol, hate stupid mistakes. so what airbox should i use for this? i want to be as direct as possible to have best performance.
I used a Windstar box. I believe Buick boxes are popular also.
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #55
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ive looked at them, cant seem to find what yall are talking about, can someone link me one?
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #56
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ive looked at them, cant seem to find what yall are talking about, can someone link me one?
mudb8's post #41 in this thread has a picture of the windstar box. In that picture he hadn't run it to the cowl yet, although says he was going to. My box is from 98 3.8L Windstar. Bought it on Ebay.
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #57
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

so the reason that yall are preferring these airboxes is because the intake hose location will work with the cowl induction setup right?
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #58
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cowl removal can be a bit tricky, so if you care...tape up the edge of the hood and perimeter outside the cowl because you could scratch up those areas removing/reinstalling it. It has to be finessed into place. Also, think about lubing the working parts of the wiper mechanism under there. Mine was bone dry at every moving point/part.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #59
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so the reason that yall are preferring these airboxes is because the intake hose location will work with the cowl induction setup right?
I think leaving box under the hood is a lot simpler. Didn't have to mess around with fitting anything in the cowl. Just had to drill through the firewall with a holesaw for the intake. Don't have to pull the cowl when I want to change filters.
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #60
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thats what i was also thinking. with the size of the intake tubing and all, didnt yall say that the smootheness of a cold air intake wouldnt help performance? if not then i might just leave the filter and reroute the filter intake to the cowl. also, how have yall mounted your airboxes? i do rough offroading all the time so it would have to be mounted durably.

also, what about a cone or cylinder filter? that would eliminate the whole concept of an airbox and mounting. i was thinking a similar setup to kiddo's first pic in this thread, just in the cowl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.