My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Final Word On Cold Air Intakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #16
Kiddo86
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Looks good. Move the IAT sensor onto the intake tube. I had to extend the wiring and buy a new sensor so that the old one keeps the hole plugged up on the air intake. When Jeep put the sensor in the manifold, it heat soaks the IAT and causes the computer to think the air coming in is really hot. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the intake tube and put in a rubber gromet and put the new IAT into that hole. This is why Jeep moved the IAT on 05 and 06 Jeeps.
Is that the sensor mounted just below the where the header meets the head pipe?

Kiddo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
jake1977
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Looks good. Move the IAT sensor onto the intake tube. I had to extend the wiring and buy a new sensor so that the old one keeps the hole plugged up on the air intake. When Jeep put the sensor in the manifold, it heat soaks the IAT and causes the computer to think the air coming in is really hot. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the intake tube and put in a rubber gromet and put the new IAT into that hole. This is why Jeep moved the IAT on 05 and 06 Jeeps.
That is very interesting,any feedback on this? Anyone notice a difference?
jake1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddo86 View Post
Is that the sensor mounted just below the where the header meets the head pipe?
This is it. Mine was located behind the throttle body though.

PSC full corners and modded 3" flares
4.56s, Aussie front and Detroit rear
Building a HP30...
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
Rikarus
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome mode, that lookspretty nice, do you have any performance numbers yet?

The joint looks like it is a tad smaller than your intake tube, does this added ventri cause and issues?
Unread 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Kiddo86
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
Awesome mode, that lookspretty nice, do you have any performance numbers yet?

The joint looks like it is a tad smaller than your intake tube, does this added ventri cause and issues?
The joint is very slightly smaller... but I seriously doubt that it's a bottleneck in the intake.

On top of getting cold air into the engine... I really appreciated being able to wash my engine without covering the filter after wheeling this weekend!
Kiddo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
Heavylift
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On the topic of the IAT relocation:

I messed around with a couple intake setups. Ended up with my current one, threw relocating the IAT sensor and a computer reader,I mapped out air/fuel mixtures and intake air temperature. There's huge differences between the free air temperatures. Stock intake my temperatures were 99-101 degrees at running temperature. I relocated the IAT sensor just short of the stock intake box and it was still around 98-100 alibi: i did not have that little horn on the box. After making a super low budget ie. 50 dollar, intake setup and mounting the IAT sensor prior to the cleaner the temps dropped to 94-95. Then I made a heat shield and attempted to close it off totally from the engine compartment and made sheet metal modifications so air flows around the hood into the chamber and around the passenger side headlight into the chamber, the temps dropped significantly to more or less outside air temperature, I've seen low 50's in the winter since, but the day I did it for comparison sake was 77 degrees. When the ECM maps out the fuel mixture it takes the IAT and manifold absolute pressure together to configure the air-fuel mixture. So yes the ECM does know. This is no theory, I've worked on the Turbine engines on the aircraft I now fly, their are giant curves in performance for intake air temperature. Obviously not as substantial on our 4.0L. And it doesn't just ramp your mixture up to rich either, it maps it out, at idle and up threw 1/4 throttle there's little difference, where it jumps is prior to and at WOT. I try not to end up there, but there is a change in fuel mapping. I try to be conservative in the modifications I do and driving, I don't want a gas guzzling hog, I could care less about being fast, my goal is overall engine efficiency with a delectable exhaust tone.

Notice the postition of the IAT sensor right prior to the heat shield:

This video was before the porting of 99+manifold and head, and before the APN headers.
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7rDRwBGyGs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7rDRwBGyGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
Background on my engine setup: 98 4.0L with homemade intake, Flex-a-lite electric fan, 62mm throttle body, 99+ ported intake manifold, ported head, indexed and side gapped auto lite spark plugs, APN headers 2.25" at the collar to 2.5" pipe around and out to a Flowmaster super 40 series and out the back. Choking it down to 2.25, then back up to 2.5" helps the low end torque.

Last edited by Heavylift; 07-16-2008 at 03:39 PM..
Heavylift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #22
valacech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is outstanding. Nice Jeep if I do say so myself. Interesting design you came up with there... very unique. I am fearful that you will encounter some serious issues with that design, however. First of which would be the water/snow situation. I am not sure where you are from, but if it snows you could face a potentially damaging situation. I am interested in seeing how you will tackle this potential problem given your ingenuity with this design. Please keep us posted. Also, what is that vent exactly for anyway? I do not even know that. I am hopeful that you are not causing potential problems for yourself by perhaps blocking off something that is very much necessary for your Jeep to perform over time. I am greatly intrigued by this and am curious to see the future of this project. Outstanding!
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valacech View Post
That is outstanding. Nice Jeep if I do say so myself. Interesting design you came up with there... very unique. I am fearful that you will encounter some serious issues with that design, however. First of which would be the water/snow situation. I am not sure where you are from, but if it snows you could face a potentially damaging situation. I am interested in seeing how you will tackle this potential problem given your ingenuity with this design. Please keep us posted. Also, what is that vent exactly for anyway? I do not even know that. I am hopeful that you are not causing potential problems for yourself by perhaps blocking off something that is very much necessary for your Jeep to perform over time. I am greatly intrigued by this and am curious to see the future of this project. Outstanding!
This is where your rig brings fresh air for the AC/Heat unit. The fan is on the passanger side under the cowl. You will have no worries unless your Jeep backfires through the TB (something would have to go really wrong). One of those "truck master" cowl scoops turned backwards would do a find job at keeping the filter dry. It would also be possible to stick some sheet metal in there to simply redirect the water down and out the cowl drain.

I have a cowl intake too. I do believe it helps.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad design. I guess its not so bad for you since you have a 'rain' vehicle. What if it decides to rain while your at the supermarket??? your screwed.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i had a setup just like that one, and i did get stuck in the rain and it flooded my engine, didnt hydro lock tho. i have since changed the design to one that uses a fram filter inside a gallon paint can that sits just above the valve cover. my milage jumped from about 15 to 17.5. i also have a scoop (air vent deflector from lowes/home depot ($4)) facing the windshield which helps too.

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #26
brian674
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just make a Snorkle? It would solve both problems, I would think.
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #27
TOLjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ehh Im gonna stick to my K&N kit. To me that was the best thing i have yet done to my Jeep for performance. Brought the 4.0 to life.
Mopar Rubicon Rockers,Warn Front Bumper, Bestop Rear Bumper, Banks Exhaust, K&N FIPK
Next: 1.25 Inch Body lift, SAVVY Corner Armor and Steering, PSC Rocker Knockers
Down the Road: Ford 8.8, 3 Inch Springs, 35" Mud Grapplers on Black 20's
TOLjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #28
socatevoli
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valacech View Post
I really dont think you would have to worry about rain or snow. I had a cai on my jetta that was 2 inches from the road right in front of my drivers side tire, and it went through heavy down pours and snowy winters with no probs. You really have to be submerged in somthing to hydro your engine. Just put a cover over it like you were saying and you'll be fine
socatevoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #29
Fourbycor
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How come nobody just louvers the hood to disapate some heat? Gen-right and a couple of others make some nice louvers...simple to install and keeps the changing of the air filter (or checking it) simple....my 2 cents
'02 YellowTJ Sport, 5-speed, Custom 4-link/3-link, King Coilover's, GenRight stuff, 37" Nitto's on Raceline's, Tom Woods Shafts, ARB's, RCV Shafts, Reid Knuckles, 5.13's, PSC Hydro assist, Rock Hard Cage, Warn M8000, Teralow 4:1.
Proud member of the 2011 & 2012 Ultimate Adventure
Fourbycor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #30
Robz2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

home made air intake

I recently modified my air intake using the stock air box. Ive seen a lot of these aftermarket filter on a stick designs for over 200 bucks but all i did was remove the small stock snorkel and made a small ram air with a smoother bend in it about 2 1/2 in diameter with the opening sitting right next the core support next to the gap when the hood is closed. No more sucking in hot air and that gap on jeeps is so wide it sucks or rams in plenty of cool outside air. Then i kept the stock air box but put in a drop in K&N filter. Next i replaced that cheesy stock intake tube with all the extra bends , that accordion section and the small diameter of 2 inches with ABS tubing,connectors from Home Depot, gained an extra inch in diameter and more direct to throttle body design. oh plus i put in a push in breather filter on top of valve cover. Wow, what a difference it made in performance plus it looks good . Im telling u, i used to fall back going up hills , now it pulls away. i can send pics , email if anyone interested.

Last edited by Robz2000; 10-18-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: more info
Robz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.