My bumper fabrication thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My bumper fabrication thread...

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My bumper fabrication thread...

A little background:

I bought my '00 Wrangler Sahara in early August and immediately joined this forum. As this was my first Jeep, I had a lot to learn (and still do). This TJ is my daily driver but I wanted to make it more off-road capable. I knew that one of the first things I needed to do was to get rid of the silly chrome tube bumpers and fit it with some recovery capable bumpers.

This is how it looked when I first got it:

After spending the last 2 months poring over various bumpers online, I decided to fab my own bumpers. To clarify, I decided to have my good friend and talented mechanic/tuner/welder fab me some bumpers.

We started with 20 feet of 2"x 4"x3/16" steel tubing

This is how we ended it on day one, shot a coat of primer and bolted it on.

In addition to the six grade 8 bolts, we are going to weld it to the top of the tow hitch which is (obviously) mounted to the frame. This should give it more than enough strength for any recovery. We will also be welding on clevis mounts for D-rings, and fabbing up a spare tire carrier.

Stay tuned for the final product, as well as the front bumper which will be getting underway very soon.

HHI-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Had to add a pic of "Bev" Bev-Tech Inc. Bluffton, SC

Unread 10-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got 4 of these ordered today.

BTW, I realize at this point that nobody gives a f*** about my bumpers, but I'm still going to document them for me.
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
jeep0312
1996 ZJ 

I have been following them actually. They look nice.
jeep0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
rickyantanies
2000 XJ Cherokee 

looks good. i wish i could fab my own bumpers. i dont even know anybody that owns a welder. what are your plans for the front bumper?
Colorado jeep club member #1992
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/patriot-blue-build-1179435/#post11126000
rickyantanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep0312 View Post
I have been following them actually. They look nice.
Thanks for the pity post bro.

Seriously though, I think they're gonna be nice.

Probably going to be a slow process though due to scheduling and work. So far we've got about 4 hours into the back bumper. In addition to the shackles its going to eventually have a tire carrier too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyantanies View Post
looks good. i wish i could fab my own bumpers. i dont even know anybody that owns a welder. what are your plans for the front bumper?
Thanks. I'm planning a stubby front with a small stinger/brush bar and light tabs. I like the looks of the Bulldog bumper

Hope to start on that one soon. I'm fortunate. I've known Bev (pronounced beev) since he was a kid. He built his little import tuning business into one of the most successful shops in town. There's practically nothing he can't do, and they do it all. Its funny to see a minivan getting an oil change next to a lifted monster truck and a supercharged Viper.
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got the shackle mounts in the mail today. Hope to get them mounted up soon!

Unread 10-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, can't wait to see the front.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
tucanbob

amazing fab skills, imo.

looking good.
Unread 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How are the mounting bolts held onto the rear bumper? In the pics it appears that they are tack-welded to the bumper from the outside. If not, how did you get them inside the bumper and out the holes? Also, are you going to remove the rear bumper and cut slots the whole way through for the clevis mounts, and then weld them on the front and back surface of the bumper? Just curious as I would like to fab up some bumpers just like yours when I have time at work to do it. Thanks.

cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
HHI-Dave
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep06 View Post
How are the mounting bolts held onto the rear bumper? In the pics it appears that they are tack-welded to the bumper from the outside. If not, how did you get them inside the bumper and out the holes? Also, are you going to remove the rear bumper and cut slots the whole way through for the clevis mounts, and then weld them on the front and back surface of the bumper? Just curious as I would like to fab up some bumpers just like yours when I have time at work to do it. Thanks.

The grade 8 mounting bolts were installed through the holes from the inside before the ends were sealed up. We used a small hand-held extendable magnet. Then they were tacked into place from the outside.

I realize that welding the clevis mounts front and back is the strongest way, but we are going to cut slots in the front only and weld them. Bev assures me that they will be plenty strong enough to drag the Jeep out when it gets stuck in the local mud bogs.
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
drift2death
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey bro like the work looks like my rear bumper ( i have a 2" reciever welded in ) i wanna throw on some d-rings its a work in progress n i like that bulldog bumper too
drift2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like how you bent the ends in. Looks good.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Why not add the 2" receiver into the rear bumper, and make you own bumper tie-ins so you can tow with it, because the next problem you are going to have off road is getting hung up on the receiver. Also weld you clevis mounts front and back, it's more work because you have to measure but they will be much stronger, especially since you are talking mud, the suction alone can make your jeep 2x it's own weight.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Love the way ur bumper is turning out! I have gotten really sick of having anything identical to everyone else's. Thats why I modded my bike and why I am modding my jeep other than the kewl factor!
er2ergrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.