My bottle jack won't go down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My bottle jack won't go down

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Kerovick

My bottle jack won't go down

I had to change my tire the other day, put the jack in the wrong place (******* that I am) and extended the jack fully before noticing and know I can't get it to go the whole way down. I actually had to use the jack out of my wifes truck to change my tire as I can't get mine under the jack point as it's up to high.

I have tried fully extending it again and lowering it several times and it always gets stuck at the same point (just as the last "riser" starts to go into the base).

I have also tried yelling at it, cussing at it, beating it on the ground and throwing it across the lawn. Suprisingly none of these helped resolve the issue.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
ps49556n
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This has happened to me too...the only way i could get it to work properly was to use a set of pliers and turn it back and forth until it would work on its own smoothly.
ps49556n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you're 'jack' remains 'up' for more than 4 hours you should consult your physician.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get it drunk first....It'll go down!

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just a thought, but you may want to consider buying a Hi-Lift jack, rather than using the bottle jack. If you fully extended the bottle jack, it's obviously not enough. Hi-Lifts can be purchased for less than $100 and there are plenty of write-ups on the forum for mounting the jack.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFjeld View Post
Just a thought, but you may want to consider buying a Hi-Lift jack, rather than using the bottle jack. If you fully extended the bottle jack, it's obviously not enough. Hi-Lifts can be purchased for less than $100 and there are plenty of write-ups on the forum for mounting the jack.
Not a good idea to rely only on Hi-Lift. Some tasks, like tire changing, much safer and easier to do with the bottle jack.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Not a good idea to rely only on Hi-Lift. Some tasks, like tire changing, much safer and easier to do with the bottle jack.
x2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
HELMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So you've tried pushing down on it with your hand as you turn the knob? Mine has gotten stuck once or twice but that took car of it.

By the way, the factory jack is more than tall enough for 35" tires and can handle 37" in a pinch too. The jack doesn't care what height your suspension lift is because it lifts the tire off the ground via the axle. Positioning the jack under a control arm or shock mount is all you need to do. I use it for my 35" tires and it isn't even close to being fully extended.

Don't use a Hi-Lift for changing tires, it's not the right tool nor is one needed except in the most unusual cases.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.