Is my blower motor resistor bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is my blower motor resistor bad?

April Savings Save 5% Off Of Jeep HeadlightsBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSave on Rancho Products !

Unread 02-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is my blower motor resistor bad?

My blower motor works in the following speeds on my 03 Wrangler: low, medium, and high. The only speed it does not work on is medium high. I am thinking I have another problem going on since the resistors are in series with one another. So could it be my resistor or something else? I replaced the resistor back in November. If I remember correctly low, and medium high would not work back at that time.

Mopar03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
greenjp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd think so and it's cheap so if it bothers you change it
greenjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Since this is my second resistor I have been doing a little reading. Could my blower motor be going bad causing my resistor to fail? I have read that the 90's Wranglers had this problem only the wires were the bare minimum size and they would melt. My wife had a Dodge car back in the 90's and I could not keep a resistor on it. I finally bought a motor and resistor from a junk yard and she drove it a couple of years before we traded it with no more issues. I would hate to spend the money if I don't need the blower motor. Any positive input is appreciated.
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^Bump^^^^
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
ParaRigger
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You can get the blower motor and resistor fairly cheap from amazon. I looked when getting the resistor at both for less than 60 shipped.
ParaRigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar03 View Post
My blower motor works in the following speeds on my 03 Wrangler: low, medium, and high. The only speed it does not work on is medium high. I am thinking I have another problem going on since the resistors are in series with one another. So could it be my resistor or something else? I replaced the resistor back in November. If I remember correctly low, and medium high would not work back at that time.
I've had the same thing happen, with my previous 97 TJ and my current 2000. Replace the resistor and you'll get the other speed back. It may seem like overkill but removing the passenger seat makes it MUCH easier to do, unless you are a contortionist.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When my medium speed went out, it was the switch. Most of the time when you only loose on or two speeds, except for high, it's the resistor pack. But as I said sometimes it can be the switch.

Yes, the blower motor can cause your problems. But that is only because of a poor circuit design. As you have found out yourself. The blower motor begins to wear with time and starts to pull more current and because of the design of the circuit the weakest link goes first. In our case the resistor pack and speed switch fail. Some to the point where parts melt. Does this mean your blower motor is bad? No, it means the circuit needs to be redesigned. The first five years of my JEEPs life, I replaced the speed switch, mode switch and resistor pack at least 3 times each. Then I discovered if you were to install a relay between the switch and the resistor pack/blower motor it would fix the circuit design. JEEP seemed to think it would be okay to have a low rated amp switch control a high amp blower motor. As we know this does not work very long. So the fix has the switch controlling the relay which in turn controls the blower motor and all is good. This works because the relay acts like a buffer in circuit and protects the fan switch, mode switch and resistor pack from failing. 9 years ago I added the relays and up until this past fall on the original blower motor where it just quit spinning all together.

Many have done this upgrade and if you can solder takes maybe 30 minutes and less than $50 to do. It was one of the best upgrades I've done to my JEEP, well along with the headlight wire harness upgrade.
JBTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Ryan0186
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Get yourself a volt meter and test the volatages going to the blower on each setting. I had to replace the resistor in my 05 this past weekend. The highest speed setting on the blower was the only one that worked. 1,2, and 3 had nothing.
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #9
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My climate control module in my Jeep was replaced back in November. So I took it out of the jeep and traded it in for a new one under warranty. Now all my speeds for the blower works. I'm concerned that the new one wore out in only three months. Seems like the blower switch should of lasted a lot longer. Wonder what went wrong?
Unread 02-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My climate control module in my Jeep was replaced back in November. So I took it out of the jeep and traded it in for a new one under warranty. Now all my speeds for the blower works. I'm concerned that the new one wore out in only three months. Seems like the blower switch should of lasted a lot longer. Wonder what went wrong?
Please re read post #7. You will continue to have these problems until you do the relay mod or replace the blower motor. Which you would have to keep doing every few years until you do the relay mod.
Unread 02-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Please re read post #7. You will continue to have these problems until you do the relay mod or replace the blower motor. Which you would have to keep doing every few years until you do the relay mod.
I replaced the blower motor. It has a lifetime warranty. I'll consider the relay this spring.
Unread 02-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I replaced the blower motor. It has a lifetime warranty. I'll consider the relay this spring.
Good, because you will need it. Good Luck

Lets hope you don't get a fire before you do the mod. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/el...re-prevention/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.