My Bestop is sagging on the left rear.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Bestop is sagging on the left rear..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My Bestop is sagging on the left rear..

So I noticed over the last few days that my Bestop was sagging a little on the left rear. I noticed because the rear window would seem kind of sucked in when I was driving with the top up, then I started looking at it and realized that the top was leaning to the left (left side was lower). I thought it might be as easy as tightening the allen bolt in the rear bracing, but that seemed to have no effect. The left rear bracing has a lot of give in it and the right rear doesn't have any. How do I fix this? Has anyone else had the same problem? The top was on it when I bought it but the previous owner put it on less than a year ago.

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Dgaunt1

2012 JK Wrangler 

Could you get a few pictures? I've had my Bestop Supertop for a few years now and it doesn't lean or anything. Maybe something isn't buttoned up.
Dgaunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgaunt1 View Post
Could you get a few pictures? I've had my Bestop Supertop for a few years now and it doesn't lean or anything. Maybe something isn't buttoned up.
It's super dark and I didn't think to take any pictures but I'll try to do that tomorrow when I get off of work. You know the brace that goes from the top to the bottom of the window frame and curves back up to the top of the rear? That part moves up and down on the driver side. The passenger side does not. The rear flap that connects by the tail gate is too droopy to pull tight as a result of that.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Dgaunt1

2012 JK Wrangler 

So you have the Bestop material but it still uses the stock hardware, right? My Bestop was a complete soft top so I don't have the same hardware as you. Mine works a different way so I may not be much help.
Dgaunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem with my jeep right now. There is a strap that supports the back bar of your soft top, it should connect to the middle bar. See if it ripped. Thats what mine did. It is the only thing that supports the rear soft top bar on mine.
phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllllO View Post
I have the same problem with my jeep right now. There is a strap that supports the back bar of your soft top, it should connect to the middle bar. See if it ripped. Thats what mine did. It is the only thing that supports the rear soft top bar on mine.
^^^This happened to me a week ago, and I'm seeing the same symptoms:
I tore the left strap loose at the back bar, now the left window bulges out more, and the right window is constantly sucked in, even with the fan on High at 55mph.
Unread 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I've figured out what the problem is. I think the brace/bow/support is loose because that part has become undone from the glue or epoxy or whatever it is that holds it to the skin of the top. It's tight on the other side, and I checked to see if it was still glued, and it is. I'm pretty sure that's all it is. Any advice for reattaching it? What type of glue should I use?
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My buddies was doing this. One side of the rear bar was lower on one slide then the other where it mounts to the front bar. just moved it up one notch
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

moved what up a notch? what are you talking about?
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

he had a best top frame. The rear bar is adjustable up and down on the front bar. If you have stock bars that mount to the roll bar disregard my reply.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ohhh... if that's the case then maybe mine is just the replace-a-top from Bestop rather than the Supertop that the previous owner told me was on it. I'm embarassed to admit that I took his word for it and am unsure of the differences.

Tags
bestop , sagging , sag

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.