My '97 TJ 'self diagnostic test' let me down! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Mr_Super-Hunky

My '97 TJ 'self diagnostic test' let me down!

My 1997 TJ has a built in 'self diagnostic test' which will display error codes if anything is wrong on the odometer, but mine let me down!

My jeep recently wouldn't start at all so I did the three time ignition key turn self diagnostic test. The test came up with codes '12' and then '55'. Code '12' just means battery was disconnected recently, and '55' means the test is complete. But the problem is the jeep still didn't start.

Long story short, I had a bad fuel pump relay which caused fuel pump not to come on, thereby jeep wouldn't start.

So why didn't the jeeps 'self diagnostic test' come up with a bad FP relay? I ended up doing a LOT of unnecessary work [dropped fuel tank/removed fuel pump] to eventually find the problem which could all have been avoided if the TJ's 'self diagnostic test' actually worked!

Or am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The OBD II system doesn't have a diagnostic code for low or no fuel pressure for your TJ...
post #3 of 6 Old 08-08-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Mr_Super-Hunky

My fuel pump relay was not sending the electrical signal to the fuel pump. The circuit was not complete, however, no error code given after performing test.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Super-Hunky View Post
My fuel pump relay was not sending the electrical signal to the fuel pump. The circuit was not complete, however, no error code given after performing test.
What self diagnostic did you do?

Dakar Style Rally Raid in North America: www.sonorarally.com
post #5 of 6 Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Built in diagnostics only detect a limited set of issues, mainly electronic components, and even those are often misdiagnosed.

No substitute for getting in there with your tools and DVM.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So why didn't the jeeps 'self diagnostic test' come up with a bad FP relay? I ended up doing a LOT of unnecessary work [dropped fuel tank/removed fuel pump] to eventually find the problem which could all have been avoided if the TJ's 'self diagnostic test' actually worked!

Or am I missing something here?
The diagnostic check did work. It isn't designed to check every single piece of wiring in the vehicle. It will tell you what it can. Even when you do get codes further diagnostics are usually required by the person doing the fault finding.

The reason you unnecessarily dropped the fuel tank was nothing to do with the self diagnostic test. It was down to not following the first piece of advice given to you by Rubi4MyMrs. You even said it yourself.
Quote:
Looking back, I never needed to drop the tank to begin with had I just checked the fuel pump relay first.
You are not the first to jump in the deep end without checking things out first and you certainly won't be the last.

Online factory service manuals and parts lists - http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If it doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link at the bottom of the page.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.