My 5.9l Magnum Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 5.9l Magnum Swap

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 5.9l Magnum Swap

Well, I figure I might as well start a thread on my swap. Haven't started yet, just need to get a few more parts and I'll be set. If only someone would buy my 4.0 then I could get started. (Hint hint! Check the classifieds!)

I got the motor from a '96 ram with a manual transmission. I'll be reusing my nv3550, so I finally picked up a bellhousing from a dakota with the 3.9l and ax-15 (took forever to find). I spoke with Evan at Backwoods and he steered me in the right direction for a clutch to match everything. The clutch kit is for a 99 Dakota with the 5.2.

Since I have a '96 motor, guy who I bought it from told me it was a '98 and I trusted him enough to not check the block casting, I will be running all new gauges. So far I have the fuel level, oil pressure, and engine temp. Still need to get the tach and speedometer. I'm going to cut a piece of aluminum and use the factory cluster as a template and go from there. Should look pretty good when I get done, or so I hope.

The motor came with starter, flywheel, complete wiring harness except for two plugs that were cut (but I won't need em anyways), all new power steering lines still in the box, and all the hoses still attached. I ditched the factory air box, didn't think it would fit under the hood, plus it's just so bulky. I just picked up a new throttle cable from the stealership yesterday. Gonna run an autozone special electric 16" fan. I'm not sure how well it will do, if it doesn't work out then I'll just get a flex-a-lite one. I still need to get block hugger headers, and a CPS, then I should be all set to go.

The hardest part will be the wiring, of course; however, I have a friend thats gonna help me with that part so it should go pretty smoothly with two people tackling it. Plus, it will be good to have someone to make sure I'm not splicing in the wrong wires!

More to come soon!!

SGjeeper36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You know that if you get a 98+ PCM it shoulod work with your gauges? Just would need to change the wiring on the transmission relay, the alternator, and get an electric oil pressure sender. Be cheaper than buying all new gauges...
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

True, but its a good excuse to switch out the factory cluster. Plus, I got the hook up on those gauges from a buddy of mine.
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can use a clutch fan off a v8 zj 93-98 . It's a perfect fit for the 4.0 fan shroud . I'm using this one on mine and it doesn't even attempt to over heat.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is that a non egr engine? And what plug ends are on the harness . My 98 harness has different sensor plugs then a 96 has! The block casting doesn't really tell the whole tale. They could have a reman in it.
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
Is that a non egr engine? And what plug ends are on the harness . My 98 harness has different sensor plugs then a 96 has! The block casting doesn't really tell the whole tale. They could have a reman in it.
It has egr. Which plugs are you specifically talking about?

As for the fan, the motor came without one and Evan kept pushing I would be happier with an electric, so I figure why not try it. I don't think it will make a difference other than being able to turn it off for water crossings.
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If its egr it's likely a 96 . If you are going to waste the money on a cheap electric fan, then buy a good one anyway start off with the zj fan. It should cost about twenty bucks from a you pull it type yard and save you money to get things you really need to get your jeep running! Also be sure you got the right year accelerator cable. They changed the linkage on the tb in the mid 90's. Also shop ebay for a v8 swap radiator. I got mine for 230 shipped.
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Let the fun begin....
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is awesome. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I started my swap! Had a buyer for my old motor finally. Got it pulled on Friday and sold it Saturday. By Sunday I had the motor mated to the transmission for a test fit. Had to do some firewall clearanceing. Got the motor mounts welded on Monday night. Dropped it into its permanent location on Tuesday. Started the wiring then. So far I've got the hoses hooked up, besides the radiator. The throttle cable is hooked up, and my new headers on. My buddy came by to help me finish the wiring last night. We got it to turn over, but didn't start. It didn't start because the crank posistion sensor isn't hooked up. Plus the new fuel line I got from a junkyard dodge must be damaged at the frame side spring lock. I thought it was clipped in but nope. Had gas spraying out from under the jeep. Still can't get it clipped in. Today I'm going to get some oil, oil filter, new cps (auto parts store gave me the wrong one), clean up the wiring, and mess with the fuel line. Hopefully have it started up by tonight. I will upload pictures later and go more in depth into some things, but for now, back to the garage!
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So, got the motor running after loads of problems. Still isn't driveable. Taken it for test drives and worked out the small bugs. Now its stalling out after a whille. Got exhaust put on it the other day. The o2 sensor is hooked up but not in the exhaust, forgot to tell them to weld in a bung, so its running rich and flooding the engine. Should be able to fix it today and drive it around. I must say, this Jeep sounds amazing.

Everyone says the wiring is fairly easy and straight forward, which it kind of is, but its by no means easy. Lots of headaches.
The first two test drives I ended up on the side of the road. The first time my powersteering return line popped off. Second the lower rad hose had a pinhole leak that turned into a gushing leak. After the exhaust shop it stalled out and wouldn't start back up on the highway, ended getting towed home by an ambulance
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can we see some pics of the motor installed in the jeep?
DerekXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
SGjeeper36
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the huge size, photobucket won't let me resize any images. Ill post more photos of the swap when I get home today.

Unread 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
T-Jay
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Huba huba
T-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna see a 4wd burnout.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.