my 4.0 s engine is flaking into pieces - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my 4.0 s engine is flaking into pieces

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
asphaltcowboy56

my 4.0 s engine is flaking into pieces

my 2000 TJ's 4.0 s engine is rusting into small pieces. Their are no oil or coolant leaks. It runs fine and the coolant plugs are holding and so are the bolt holes around the mounts ,the area around the oil pan is thinning but still hold the pan flush. I am worried that like body rust eventually the coolant walls will start to leak .The cylinder head does not show any of this condition, what is up! its bad!

asphaltcowboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds a little dramatic. No pics so I can only go off what you said and what I know. Surly you are not talking about the block or head, if those were "rusting into small pieces" I would be a monkeys uncle! Sooo... are you talking about surface corrosion? maybe the edges of the oil pan? maybe oil pan itself? ( i.e more details/ pics needed.) Mating surfaces of different alloys and metals can and in most cases will encourage corrosion too fyi...
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Turfzilla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My block is really rusty and flakey. I'll run until I can see oil thru the side if it
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfzilla View Post
My block is really rusty and flakey. I'll run until I can see oil thru the side if it
Both you and the OP should take pics of your rusty engines. Call me naive, but this sounds weird.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
ShogunTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're talking about the surface finish, mine did it too, but I have a 2in body lift and I like driving through mud and puddles at high speeds, so it was bound to happen eventually. It's just a cosmetic finish, so unless there's any cracks or damage, just get some POR15 and coat the whole thing. Then paint it with whatever high-heat paint you want. I did orange.

Stock 4cyl and 35's=Rock Crawling like a bus!
ShogunTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

pictures...
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

...no offense but POR-15 Probably isn't the fix for the engine block. I have to imagine the OP's standards are like mine and when I see my beloved have cancer (even in the most minor of forms...) I can panic! Honesty being Policy...: ANY block rust CANNOT be of "terminal concern" OP. It would have to be exposed to salt water daily and be a CJ in order to be of any "possible" concern... I hope this helps your "espirit-de-jeepness". If not, fellow jeepers PLEASE console our fellow jeeper!
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.