My 2003 Wrangler Idles From 1000 RPM to 2000 RPM whats wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2003 Wrangler Idles From 1000 RPM to 2000 RPM whats wrong?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 2003 Wrangler Idles From 1000 RPM to 2000 RPM whats wrong?

hey jeep just recently started idling high. it does it about 80 percent of the time. when i turn it on it idles around 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm when i put it in first and let go the clutch it seems to go do down and it drives fine while driving but when i idle in neutral or have the clutch pressed it idles high anyone have any ideas what could be going on. i have replaced the TPS sensor and all 4 O2 sensors as well already! and there is no check engine light on what else can it be help please thanks!

erics1019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
wytewolf00
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go to Advance Auto Parts and use their scanner anyway. Just because the CEL isn't on, doesn't mean that a monitor is throwing a code somewhere.

You might want to take apart the TB and give it (and everything attached to it) a good cleaning.

Also, please fill out your profile...hard to see what we're dealing with here...
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #295
wytewolf00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i was thinking of doing that but i was scared when i was reading the write up and it says the gasket for the AIC do i need the gasket or can i re-use everything i take off will i need anything new?
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics1019
i was thinking of doing that but i was scared when i was reading the write up and it says the gasket for the AIC do i need the gasket or can i re-use everything i take off will i need anything new?
Clean the IAC valve. That can make it idle rough. Hell clean out your throttle body and you'll probably fix the problem
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i want to do that but i was reading a step by step guide and it said to use a new gasket or gasket sealer will i need that or can i just take the TB a part clean it and put all the original stuff back on?
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
gotmudd1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem awhile back. Cleaned TB and senors and no problems since. You can reuse the gasket if it comes off in one piece and in good shape. No need to use sealer on the TB. Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
wytewolf00
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ripped the IAC mount gasket when I tore my TB apart, but used Permatex Copper to seal it up on the re-install. Been fine since. I also keep a sheet of adhesive-backed gasket material in the garage, in case I need to make one...

Just be careful and don't over-torque the bolts. Clean and scrape every surface, spray it thoroughly with TB cleaner and be sure to get into the small spots. I used Q-tips and an old tooth brush for most of it, and a razor blade to scrape oxidation off of the surfaces.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #295
wytewolf00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks i am going to give it a shot this weekend thanks!
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A high idle like that is more often caused by a vacuum leak. Cleaning the IAC won't hurt but has any work been done on the engine recently, like on the intake manifold or exhaust header? Work like that can easily cause a vacuum leak which invariably causes high idle RPMs.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

no nothing has been down for almost a year to the engine. if i bring it to a shop can they find the leak if i have one and how much would they normally charge i don't think i would be able to find a leak and fix it?
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
A high idle like that is more often caused by a vacuum leak. Cleaning the IAC won't hurt but has any work been done on the engine recently, like on the intake manifold or exhaust header? Work like that can easily cause a vacuum leak which invariably causes high idle RPMs.
Jerry that totally slipped my mind.

Vaccum leaks can very easily cause your problem.

LISTEN to jerry. He's the man.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

is a vacuum leak something i am going to have to bring it in to a shop to have them find and fix and is it expensive?
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics1019 View Post
is a vacuum leak something i am going to have to bring it in to a shop to have them find and fix and is it expensive?
No. It could be as easy as sticking a hose on a corresponding spot on the intake manifold.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
erics1019
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i am confused what you mean sticking hose? what hose and how will i know which hose? sorry i am some what mechanical and stuff but i actually have never done this before!
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It simple, open up your hood and start poking around the intake manifold and you will find hoses going into intake manifold. Make sure those hoses are all attached and not dry rotted or leaking...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
idle issue , jeep , nuetral , wrangler tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.