My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #46
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wanted to put an update in this thread since its a good bit of info on the BDS lifts. Im very pleased with mine I have about 1500 milse and one quick wheeling trip on it and am very happy with it. I am getting some tire rub on the swaybar up front I think this may be due to running the shorter factory links. I did 2" springs front and rear with a 3/4 inch spacer up front to offset the winch and bumper. I took before and after measurements in my garage these measurments are with 0 miles and the old tires on it. This is measured next to the tire from the ground to the flare. I will try to take more measurements soon and post with new 33" mtrs and for any settling. I will also add that we did my buddys tj with the heavy duty OME lift at the same time and im glad i got the BDS even though its a less complete kit as it rides much better.

before
front l/r 31 3/8 | 31 3/4
rear l/r 33 1/4 | 33 5/8

after 1.25" body lift

front l/r 32 3/4 | 32 1/2
rear l/r 34 3/4 | 34 3/4

after 2" bds lift and 1.25 in body lift

front l/r 36 | 35 3/4
rear l/r 36 3/4 | 36 1/4

rubijeep33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #47
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you are liking them. I still like mine. I haven't measured anything but I don't think I have any sag on them after approximately 5000 miles. I still like the adjustable Ranchos, but I think they could have more damping for the rebound. I would like to try some OME or Bilstiens at some point down the road.

I was amazed to hear that these ride better than your friends OME. I thought the OMEs were the best. Can you further explain the difference?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #48
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

his rides harder/stiffer without question. It is a 98 Tj with a hard top or a bikini no bumpers no armor yet. He got the heavy duty lift and got significantly more lift than I did buy an inch or more at least. When he had a heavy load of firewood in the back he did say that it softened up and rode/handled better, so I can only assume that with bumpers/armor it will feel better but in stock form with nothing done it rides crappy in my opinion.
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #49
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks rusty. That is interesting. I wonder if its due to the springs or the shocks. If you look at spring rates his should actually ride softer than yours. It makes me wonder if those spring rate numbers put out by the various manufacturers are accurate. I know I have questioned the rates on the OME JK springs as well when my buddy was looking at them for his 4dr.

EDIT:

Looking at your lift numbers I think I need to call someone at BDS. I still don't understand why I only got 1.5" of lift up front.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #50
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

whats the difference front to rear on yours is there much rake? any bumper/ winch? I believe I had much softer springs so when you see that mine went up that high its because my stock ones were sagging very badly. In the rear I went up almost exactly 2 inches and I do have a 3/4inch puck up front as I have a heavy bumper and a 90lb winch on the front.
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #51
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty79 View Post
whats the difference front to rear on yours is there much rake? any bumper/ winch? I believe I had much softer springs so when you see that mine went up that high its because my stock ones were sagging very badly. In the rear I went up almost exactly 2 inches and I do have a 3/4inch puck up front as I have a heavy bumper and a 90lb winch on the front.
My rake is not too bad. The rear sits about 1/2" higher than the front. I gained the full 2" in the rear. I was hoping to gain the same in front. I have stock bumper upfront and an aftermarket in the rear. No tire carrier though so its not too much heavier than stock. Since I have a Rubicon my stock springs were likely stiffer than yours and I had no sag. So its possible that is the reason for the difference.

I wish I could get more help from BDS on it. It would be nice to know how tight their tolerances are on spring length to know if I got a short set or if its due to having a Rubicon. They were helpful at first but then they quite responding to emails about it. So I don't know if their is anything they will do to help. For now I have chalked it up to having good springs to begin with. I'll check my sag sometime and if I have lost more I will contact them again.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #52
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bump! Fargo, I apologize for losing track of you, I thought Ted had followed up with you, and he thought I had- I certainly didn't mean for you to fall through the cracks. Call me when you can, I work M-Th 9am to 8pm eastern time, and take lunch @12:30.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
Bump! Fargo, I apologize for losing track of you, I thought Ted had followed up with you, and he thought I had- I certainly didn't mean for you to fall through the cracks. Call me when you can, I work M-Th 9am to 8pm eastern time, and take lunch @12:30.
Hey, I tried to get a hold of you today and they told me you are out of town for the week. I'll try again next week to see if we can get things figured out. Thanks for the help.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #54
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Hey, I tried to get a hold of you today and they told me you are out of town for the week. I'll try again next week to see if we can get things figured out. Thanks for the help.
Fargo, I'm back in the office today.

tech@bds-suspension.com

Unread 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #55
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to say thanks to Jason for taking the time to help me get my lift figured out.

We took a bunch of measurements and compared numbers and it seems that I am within BDSs specs for the 2" lift. So apparantly my factory springs were just a good set and didn't have any sag to them. So for now I'll just keep what I have. If I notice any sag or have problems in the future I'll call Jason/BDS back and see what we can do for warranty. But for now things will stay as they are.

I think I did find a good way to measure spring height in all of this though. Since tires, body lifts and so many factors can throw off measurements, the BDS dealer and I were looking for good places to measure too. I think the best place I found was to measure the front was to actually measure the shock mount. If you measure from the top of the bottom mount to the bottom of the top mount (basically the space that the shock resides in) you should be able to compare spring height most accurately since this is basically a measurement between the axle (bottom mount) and the frame (top mount). So if any one wants to further compare lift heights this would be a good place to measure from since it omits the tire and body lift variables. I only wish I had a stock measurement here now. I didn't get a copy of the measurements we took for BDS, so I will have to measure again, but if anyone is curious about lift heights I can get some in a couple of days when the storm resides.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #56
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fargo, I do like the shock mount idea- that or Brennan had suggested measuring the distance from the coil pad to the bottom of the bumpstop. I have mentioned Brennan's idea to the engineers, and I will pass yous on as well.

tech@bds-suspension.com

Unread 10-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #57
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
Fargo, I do like the shock mount idea- that or Brennan had suggested measuring the distance from the coil pad to the bottom of the bumpstop. I have mentioned Brennan's idea to the engineers, and I will pass yous on as well.
Yeah, Brennen and I looked at that as well. The problem that I saw with measuring the coil pad to the bumpstop is twofold.

1) People will be adding bumpstops or extending them with lifts. So you would really need to measure to where the bumpstop mounts to, to account for different bumpstops.
2) The Rubicon has a 1/4" steel plate welded onto the coil pad, so your Rubicon measurements would need to be adjusted to account for the different pad.

So from what I could tell the shock mount seemed like the place with the fewest variables and the best place to measure. I hope that helps you and your engineers in the future. If we have found a consistent place to measure spring height it would make all the hastle worth it.

Oh yeah, if you still have my measurements from Brennan and the specs that we spoke about please send me an email.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #58
TonyToca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I called my local BDS vendor to get a price quote for the 2" lift and they quoted me $599 just for the spring and shock package. I was amazed it was so much more expensive than the $414 on the website.
TonyToca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #59
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToca View Post
I called my local BDS vendor to get a price quote for the 2" lift and they quoted me $599 just for the spring and shock package. I was amazed it was so much more expensive than the $414 on the website.
Yeah, thats not right. They must have quoted you a price for the 3" lift kit. Otherwise, just purchase it on BDS's website and have them ship it to the dealer for free. I'd call the dealer again.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #60
TonyToca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Yeah, thats not right. They must have quoted you a price for the 3" lift kit. Otherwise, just purchase it on BDS's website and have them ship it to the dealer for free. I'd call the dealer again.
Called him again and he remembered me. He kind of backtracked and then asked what the price on the website was and then said he'd sell it to me for that plus $30-40 for shipping plus some other fee. I'm probably just going to end up ordering it straight from the BDS website and just having it sent to the dealer for pick up and not have to pay the other charges he's trying to add on
TonyToca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bds , lift , rancho shock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.