My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have the part numbers on the ranchos you ordered?

rubijeep33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I forgot to measure the rear end before installing the BDS lift on mine, but in the front I did get 2" of lift.

Also, my axles definitely shifted - not tons, maybe 1/2" or so, but definitely noticeable if you strand in front of or behind the jeep and study it. Given the physics of the track bar attachment, I don't see how they could not shift. So far I've just been living with it.

I'd also be unhappy if I only got 1.5", but as long as my 31" tires still cleared, I'd probably get over it, since solving the problem would require several hours worth of work.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #33
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
I forgot to measure the rear end before installing the BDS lift on mine, but in the front I did get 2" of lift.

Also, my axles definitely shifted - not tons, maybe 1/2" or so, but definitely noticeable if you strand in front of or behind the jeep and study it. Given the physics of the track bar attachment, I don't see how they could not shift. So far I've just been living with it.

I'd also be unhappy if I only got 1.5", but as long as my 31" tires still cleared, I'd probably get over it, since solving the problem would require several hours worth of work.

Well since I have a Rubi my 31s cleared stock. From reviews of others, it seemed everyone was getting a solid 2 - 2 1/4" of lift. So that is what I was expecting after settling. So I was very disappointed to only be at 1 1/2" front and 2" rear before any settling. On top of that, I am still concerned about what will be left after the springs settle into the seats. I know Rubis have stiffer springs stock, but even other Rubis were getting 2". So I'm not sure whats going on with mine.

I checked my axles this morning and they did shift a little. They are now offset about 1/4 of an inch. Before they were dead center perfect.

Rusty - the Ranchos I purchased are the RS999239 and the RS999241. You can see below how they stack up to others. I was looking more for ride quality and liked the adjustability of the Ranchos. If you are looking more at offroad articulation the OME and BDS will compress smaller and extend further than the Ranchos.

Code:
Front#......Rear#......Front ex.....Fr Comp.....Rear ext......Rear com

Rancho				

OME					
N66.........N67...........22.4............13.2.........22.1.............13.3

BDS				
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know it's a PITA to swap out the springs again but... I'd call BDS or the distributor & explain the situation. OK, yea, your hard top is going to make a difference but I'd expect that at the back rather than the front . If nothing else, drop in another set of front springs (hopefully from a different batch) and see what the result is. If you're still not getting the full 2" I'd be tempted to go with a 3" coil & add a spacer to the back (or winch to the front) to level it out.
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #35
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fargo, judging by what happened with the 2 inch springs, if you got 3 inch ones you'd be around 2.5or so.
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
I know it's a PITA to swap out the springs again but... I'd call BDS or the distributor & explain the situation. OK, yea, your hard top is going to make a difference but I'd expect that at the back rather than the front . If nothing else, drop in another set of front springs (hopefully from a different batch) and see what the result is. If you're still not getting the full 2" I'd be tempted to go with a 3" coil & add a spacer to the back (or winch to the front) to level it out.
It is a lot of work changing springs but I'm not against trying a couple sets of springs to get it right. For me the biggest part of the job was setting up the bumpstop length for the shocks. So my plan is exactly as you stated. In fact, I have been in contact with someone from BDS. I gave him some more measurements this morning and he is looking into things for me.

If I have any options, my first choice would be to see if he can find some taller 2" springs from another batch. I'd be willing to swap mine out and try another 2" set from different batch to see if they are taller. If that didn't work I would consider a 3" spring, but I would prefer to keep with a 2" lift. I really don't want a 3" lift. I could deal with 2 1/2" but 3" starts to get into track bars, control arms, and just changes suspension geometry more than I want to. But if that is my only option I would have to consider it.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the BDS Tech comes back with. Hopefully, it won't be to long.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #37
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ted at BDS is a great guy if that's who you're speaking with. He's helped me a bunch of times.
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #38
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach06 View Post
Fargo, judging by what happened with the 2 inch springs, if you got 3 inch ones you'd be around 2.5or so.
I don't know if thats the case or not. Since this happened I have come across another guy on ROF that had a similar problem with his 2" springs. He switched them out for 3" springs thinking he would be at about 2 1/2", but then he got the full 3" of lift. So I don't think I can count on a 3' spring netting only 2.5".

EDIT: Jason is who I've been in touch with. He seems nice enough though. Actually I talked to a couple of guys before I purchased my lift and they all seemed very knowledgable and helpful. It was their customer service when I called that really help me to decide on the BDS springs. (Along with the warranty of course. Although I was hoping to never have to use it)
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #39
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty79 View Post
Do you have the part numbers on the ranchos you ordered?
Hey Rusty, I wouldn't rush out and order those Rancho shocks just yet. I'm still playing with my setup and I haven't determined if I really like it or not. The more I drive my Jeep the more I am finding it to be stiffer than I like. This really surprises me after all the reviews that I have read about how smooth the BDS kits are. So I am inclined to think the Ranchos may not be the best shock for this setup. Although they are adjustable I'm not sure that the valving is quite right for a stock Jeep. I found that they feel very nice and controlled set at #3 but they really ride the best at #1. But at that low setting they don't feel as controlled as I would like. Now granted you said you have a heavy bumper and that will make a huge difference. I have the stock bumper on front so I am relatively light up there. So the Ranchos may work great with the BDS for you. But if you're not in a rush just keep watching this thread. I'll try to keep it updated after I get some miles on the setup and play around with different shock settings. I might even throw a different set of shocks on at some point just to see how much difference shocks make. I'm also still trying to figure out what is going on with my lack of height issue.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well my wife surprised me with the bds 2 inch kit today so I will be trying the bds springs and shocks and throwing a 3\4 inch spacer on front to compensate for the bumper. Ill see how they ride and may replace them with the ranchos if I feel they are to soft but ill keep updating to let you know what I think.
rubijeep33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #41
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Hey Rusty, I wouldn't rush out and order those Rancho shocks just yet. I'm still playing with my setup and I haven't determined if I really like it or not. The more I drive my Jeep the more I am finding it to be stiffer than I like. This really surprises me after all the reviews that I have read about how smooth the BDS kits are. So I am inclined to think the Ranchos may not be the best shock for this setup. Although they are adjustable I'm not sure that the valving is quite right for a stock Jeep. I found that they feel very nice and controlled set at #3 but they really ride the best at #1. But at that low setting they don't feel as controlled as I would like. Now granted you said you have a heavy bumper and that will make a huge difference. I have the stock bumper on front so I am relatively light up there. So the Ranchos may work great with the BDS for you. But if you're not in a rush just keep watching this thread. I'll try to keep it updated after I get some miles on the setup and play around with different shock settings. I might even throw a different set of shocks on at some point just to see how much difference shocks make. I'm also still trying to figure out what is going on with my lack of height issue.

I honestly would have stuck with the BDS 5500 shocks that are made for the kit and that are specifically valved for the TJ/LJ. Mine ride great.
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #42
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rusty, glad to hear it. I'm sure you will be happy with the BDS shocks. Keep us informed on how you like them. Also, I would recommend putting in a short bumpstop extension. Even though BDS doesn't include them I think you could bottom out your BDS shocks without them.

I put about 600 miles on my setup over the weekend. Mostly Interstate cruising, but I did drive on a couple miles of low maintenance gravel roads. My Jeep was loaded down with my family and camping gear for the highway cruising. I had the shocks at #3 for most of the trip. With the extra weight things felt very smooth on the highway.

I also left it at #3 when I did my low maint road driving. I was alone at this time and only had a light load. But I was actually pretty happy with how it handled offroad. Somehow, it feels smoother offroad than it does on the road. I did a little flexing with the sway bar connected and I felt that the stiffer rear springs worked very well with the swaybar stiffness. The road I was on had some deep ruts in it and I made it a point to cut across the ruts at a good pace. I found the setup to be very stable across these ruts with minimal side to side bobble. I was impressed with this stability and it made me feel I might have a better setup than I realized.

For my return trip home I put the shocks at #2 on the front and #3 on the rear. This felt even a little more balanced for me. I think if I had a winch or heavy bumper upfront the spring rates would be about perfect for an LJ.

Overall, I feel that my Jeep is well balanced and mostly void of the back and forth flopping I felt from factory. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if my setup may actually be better than factory. But I had just gotten so used to the factory setup, that I think thats how things should be. I have a feeling that if I drove a factory Jeep and my Jeep side by side with no preconceived notions of how the Jeep should feel, I would probably prefer my setup. I think it may just feel stiff and unnatural to me because I have been driving a factory Jeep setup for about 7 years (2 Jeeps). So anything outside of the factory bobbing feels unnatural to me.

Also is it possible that the springs can soften up a bit after they break in? My setup now feels similar on #3 to what it did before on #2.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Fargo; 07-06-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #43
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did a little more work on my lift this weekend. I loosened up all my control arms and I jumped up and down on the bumpers to get the bushings to seat at their natural state. Oddly enough this appears to have allowed the Jeep to raise a little. It appears that I somehow gained about 1/4" of lift by doing this. Something must have been binding in my control arms go keep it from lifting completely before. So if my measurements are correct, I now have seen about 1.75" of lift from my BDS springs. Thats still short of the 2" I was expecting but it is a little more palatable. The ride also feels a little looser and freer now as well. So all in all it was a good move to loosen the control arms and reset them.

I also put on a Monroe steering stabilizer. This helped to tremendously dampen the steering kickback I was feeling.

Driving my LJ back to back with my friends JK Unlimited proved to be quite interesting. I was very surprised at how similar my LJ now feels to a JK. I think my springs are still a bit stiffer than his, but the balance of my vehicle is very good. I also think that the balance will only improve as I put on an engine skid and possibly a winch. I feel that the frequency of my spring rate front to rear is nearly identical and with the ability to adjust my shocks, I can really get a nice balanced feel. I think that, as I get everything dialed in, this is going to prove to be a very nice setup, especially on the trails. It might be a little stiffer than I was used to, but its definetly an improvement. I am excited to get out to Colorado later this summer and hit some trails. Then I will know if its set up as good as I am hoping it is or if its just a stiffer than stock ride.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #44
phdsk8
2004 TJ Wrangler 

planning on BDS + Bilstein 5100 on an unlevelled jeep

After reading this thread I am sold on BDS 2" coils and going with Bilstein 5100 shocks. From the online research and a few phone calls this looks like a good combination.

I have a quick question. My 04 TJ with stock spring sits 1.25 inch lower in front than rear. Its also .25 inch lower at drivers side than passengers. This is with a 70 lb front bumper and soft topand soft doors. Should I add 3" springs in front and 2" in back instead of a poly bushing up front? I would like the front lower but not by an inch. Even considered doing just the front coils to see what I get before I do rear.

God knows what will happen if I add winch the front will go .25 inch lower! And my jeep rides empty with just me and my wift in front seats no one in back no tools either.

And I would also go for local vs. online for a few bucks.
phdsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #45
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you have that heavy bumper up front and just the soft top in the rear I think the 3" spring up front and the 2" in the rear is a good choice. Especially if you ever want a winch. Worse case scenario would be you have to put a small spacer in the rear. But with a soft top in the back and all that weight up front I personally think it would sit pretty level with the 3" springs up front and 2" in the rear.

I also think that Bilstien shocks re a good choice. However, I will warn you that they don't have a good sized shock for a 2" lift. I really wanted Bilstien as well but I didn't like the lenght of the shocks. They basically have 2 shocks for Wranglers. One set is for a 3" lift and the other set is for stock Rubicons (or 1" lifted jeeps according to them) You can run the short shocks with stock suspension and no bumpstop extensions. But the longer shocks will require about a 2" bumpstop extension. So you will be loosing any additional travel that you may gain from the taller springs. Here are the numbers as dimensions extended and compressed that I found for them.

Code:
                  Front #          Rear #      F. ext F. Comp  R. Ext  R comp
3" lift           BE5-2731-H5    BE5-2732-H5    24        15    22.5    14
Rubicon 1" lift     BE5-784-HO    BE5-785-HO    21.06    13.03    20    12.8
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
bds , lift , rancho shock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.