My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My 2" BDS/Rancho lift review, comments and info

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #16
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

ill try and check the springs and take some measurements tonight im assuming it would be stamped or tagged on the spring somewhere.ill try and take some pictures of it too so you can see what its doing. I may just stick with the 2 inch springs and throw a 3/4inch spacer up front I was just hoping id stay more level without the spacers. Im very curious on how much your axles shifted too because if i can do with out trackbars/ relocating thats a plus.

Thanks
Dave

rubijeep33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The springs should have some tags on them. They will almost look like pieces of tape stuck on them.

I'm sure my axles haven't moved much. Most 2" lifts don't. Thats one of the reasons I went with a 2" lift. I'll measure them and my height to the frame tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty79 View Post
ill try and check the springs and take some measurements tonight im assuming it would be stamped or tagged on the spring somewhere.ill try and take some pictures of it too so you can see what its doing. I may just stick with the 2 inch springs and throw a 3/4inch spacer up front I was just hoping id stay more level without the spacers. Im very curious on how much your axles shifted too because if i can do with out trackbars/ relocating thats a plus.

Thanks
Dave
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

where are you going to measure from and too so i can do the same? Ill check the tags when i get home from work and do my measuring then. Did you buy local or online? would you mind pointing me to your distributer?
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You might want to try & measure from the top of the axle tubes to a common point on the frame or body. If you measure from the ground you'll have to account for your tire sizes. To do that, lay a level across the top of the tread at each corner to get a tire height (ground to level) then from the ground to a point on the bumper or body. That'll give you two measurements per corner per Jeep. With a bit of math you can then compare lifts. Be sure the Jeep is level before you start :->
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

ok ill go from the tube and figure something out while im under there and post it up ill get it as level as i can
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
where are you going to measure from and too so i can do the same? Ill check the tags when i get home from work and do my measuring then. Did you buy local or online? would you mind pointing me to your distributer?
OK I ran out and did a quick measurement. Measureing to the bottom of the frame directly behind the front bumper I am 21 1/8 on the drivers side and 21 3/8 on the passenger side. Measuring to the bottom of the frame directly behind the front control arm I am 16" on each side.

I purchased mine locally. I doubt my guy will sell and ship out of state, but I know that Bob Supplee also carries BDS and he gave me a very good price too. I just went locally because he could sell me both BDS and Rancho. I got Bobs number from Jerry Bransford. I have it somewhere and I can pm it too you once I find it.

Also, if you want a complete BDS kit, you might be interested in knowing that they have a new gas charged twin tube shock coming out this summer. I think the tech I spoke with said it would be out in July. I was going to wait for them to come out, but I got impatient and wanted my lift done by the 4th of July. If your not in a rush it might be worth waiting to see what they come out with. My understanding was that they will only be about $10 more per shock than the hydros.

EDIT: I found Bobs Supplees number on Stus website: http://www.stu-offroad.com/round2/Round2-3.htm
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #22
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
You might want to try & measure from the top of the axle tubes to a common point on the frame or body. If you measure from the ground you'll have to account for your tire sizes. To do that, lay a level across the top of the tread at each corner to get a tire height (ground to level) then from the ground to a point on the bumper or body. That'll give you two measurements per corner per Jeep. With a bit of math you can then compare lifts. Be sure the Jeep is level before you start :->

Good point. Not only tire size but also difference in tire pressure and tire wear. I'll look again later tonight. Gotta keep working now.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

RubiOR - could you take a measurement on yours too. I'm curious how I compare to you. We'll have to figure out a good standard first.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well my springs appear to be 129ab on the front but I just drove for an hour so its a little to warm to take measurments ill try to get to it later tonight but it may not be till tomorrow or thursday
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sound like you've got the softer spring then. I'll try to get out and measure mine tonight yet.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #26
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

At all four corners the tires measure out to 30.75
The center of the axles are approximately 15". The passenger side may be 1/8 shorter, the lighting was bad & the tape was hard to see.

The front frame just behind the bumper is 22.25 on both sides
The frame just behind the front LCA is 16.75

The frame just in front of the rear LCA is 17.25
The frame just in front of the rear crossmember is 19.5

The measurements are consistent on both left and right sides.I also check that the door sills & bumpers are level.

In table form:
Code:
Tire height	30.75	15.75
Axle center	15.00	 0.00
Front frame	22.25	 7.25
Front LCA	16.75	 1.75
Rear LCA	17.25	 2.25
Rear frame	19.50	 4.50
The second column is using the axle center as the point of reference.

The doors are currently off and the ragtop is hanging on a nearby wall. The front bumper is stock, the rear is a bit heavy as is the storage box behind the rear seat.
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just went and got measurements from the bottom of the spring (Flush with spring perch it sites on) to the underside of the the shock tower. This was easy to measure and should eliminate the hassle of figuring tires. My measurements were about 14 3/8 on each side doing it this way.

Now I will go and measure my tires and see if I can figure it the way RubiOR did.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
rubijeep33
Just Lurking around

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just measured my spring it was 11-11.5 inches from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the perch and 16 inches from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the fender. And from what I gather fargo that means yours are over 3 inches taller. Any one know uncompreseed stock spring height?
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #29
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just measured my spring it was 11-11.5 inches from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the perch and 16 inches from the bottom of the spring to the underside of the fender. And from what I gather fargo that means yours are over 3 inches taller. Any one know uncompreseed stock spring height?
Wow you really are sagging if that is accurate. I'm still trying to calculate mine the way RubiOR did his but my number are not adding up.

My stock springs measured 17 3/8 front and 12 3/8 rear. This was taken uncompressed after I pulled them out.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK here is how my number worked out. Since my measurement were slightly different left to right I averaged the front and the rear seperately. That is why my numbers appear to be accurate to .000. They are really not that accurate.

Quote:
Code:
Averages    Front    Rear           Calculated from axle center
tire height     29.7    29.5    
axle center    14.5    14.5              0
Front frame    21.375                   6.875
Front LCA      16                        1.5
Rear LCA       16.375                   1.875
Rear frame     19.5                      5
So if I compare my number to those of RubiOR they look something like this.

Quote:
Code:
Location             Fargo       RubiOR      Difference
Front frame         6.875        7.25       -0.375
Front LCA           1.5           1.75       -0.25
Rear LCA            1.875        2.25       -0.375
Rear frame          5               4.5         0.5
So if we are anywhere near accurate in our measurements and our calculations, I indeed got about 1/4" - 3/8" less lift than RubiOR did. I am ruling out our measurement at the rear frame. We must have measured differently there. It wouldn't make sense for me to be a 1/2" taller there and shorter everywhere else.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
bds , lift , rancho shock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.