My 1st Jeep! 2000 TJ - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
My 1st Jeep! 2000 TJ

I'm happy got my 1st jeep. it's a 2000 wrangler sport 6cyl. auto. I'm fairly new to jeeps. I've drove a few because of my girl and my inlaws. I really really like them, wish i could afford a brand new one but the way my bank account is set up...haha. I would appreciate any tips or any knowledge any one would like to share. I've done some research the past few weeks as i've been really excited. I'm looking to do some mods. 3" lift, 1.5" lift with 33" tires. I would like to do a lot more but that would be my top mod. If you guys could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it any tips on the brands for the suspension system,the lift, and the tires. It would be a daily driver as I'll be driving to work, gym, and school. also around how much would i be looking to spend? id be saving up some extra cash all the way till June before doing any work on it.


Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 AM
DTMOOOO
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Purchase
Posts: 52
Welcome

Sounds like you have nice plans for the new ride. How much offroading do you plan to do & what axles/gears do you currently have?
Certain suspension & tire setups will affect the daily driver aspect & geometry of the Jeep.

I am in the same boat of you right now but am upgrading my steering control arms & gearing first before hitting the suspension & tires. (mainly because my tires are pretty new & I have 3.07s.)
DTMOOOO is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,642
Don't forget to regear for those size tires you want. To me, it's the most important part of what you want to do. Though if you do have 3.73 gears you may be able to pull it off.
JBTJ is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
its all stock like day one. not exactly sure at this moment but I'm pretty sure I have Dana 30 & Dana 35c. on 3.07. I'm really new to anything that has to do with jeeps besides driving them. That's why i don't think i'll have any work done on it until the summer.

Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Don't forget to regear for those size tires you want. To me, it's the most important part of what you want to do. Though if you do have 3.73 gears you may be able to pull it off.
I've read about how important it is to regear. Would it be recommended to change axles or can i keep what i have and regear to 3.73 or 4.11
This is just stuff i've picked uo from reading, i really don't have any knowledge on this. Ill spend lot of time on this forum educating myself on lifts,axles,and every important component on jeeps.

Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMOOOO View Post
Welcome

Sounds like you have nice plans for the new ride. How much offroading do you plan to do & what axles/gears do you currently have?
Certain suspension & tire setups will affect the daily driver aspect & geometry of the Jeep.

I am in the same boat of you right now but am upgrading my steering control arms & gearing first before hitting the suspension & tires. (mainly because my tires are pretty new & I have 3.07s.)
its all stock like day one. not exactly sure at this moment but I'm pretty sure I have Dana 30 & Dana 35c. on 3.07. I'm really new to anything that has to do with jeeps besides driving them. That's why i don't think i'll have any work done on it until the summer. Don't plan on much offroading, live on Long Island NY, don't really know many place to go off road but it is something i would love to try.

Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtx9 View Post
I've read about how important it is to regear. Would it be recommended to change axles or can i keep what i have and regear to 3.73 or 4.11
This is just stuff i've picked uo from reading, i really don't have any knowledge on this. Ill spend lot of time on this forum educating myself on lifts,axles,and every important component on jeeps.
For your current needs as a DD the stock axles are fine. The optimum gear ratio for your 32RH transmission and 33" tires would be a 4.11 ratio. You can upgrade the current rear axle to a D35 Super 35 kit. This will be the cheapest compared to an axle swap, unless you can get a D44 for super cheap.

I have the 32RH with 32's and 3.73 gears. It's okay, but not as good as 4.11 will be.

Also, don't forget to change out the little speedometer gear in the transfer case for when you do change tire size and or gear ratio. Got to keep that speedometer accurate.
JBTJ is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
For your current needs as a DD the stock axles are fine. The optimum gear ratio for your 32RH transmission and 33" tires would be a 4.11 ratio. You can upgrade the current rear axle to a D35 Super 35 kit. This will be the cheapest compared to an axle swap, unless you can get a D44 for super cheap.

I have the 32RH with 32's and 3.73 gears. It's okay, but not as good as 4.11 will be.

Also, don't forget to change out the little speedometer gear in the transfer case for when you do change tire size and or gear ratio. Got to keep that speedometer accurate.
Thanks so much for the tips! I really appreciate it.

Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21,580
The first thing to buy would be the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) Factory Service Manual (FSM) and follow the maintenance schedule on page 0-3. When you have the time, start reading the manual. Its the best money you'll spend on your Jeep.

How many miles on your new to you TJ?

If you don't know the maintenance history, change all of the fluids including power steering and brake fluid.

Drive it and see if you can do what you want to with it in stock form.

Read everything you can get your hands on about modifications you may want to do.

See if you can find any local Jeep groups near to you.

Ask lots of questions and welcome to the forum...
Knuckelhead is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Vtx9
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westbury
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The first thing to buy would be the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) Factory Service Manual (FSM) and follow the maintenance schedule on page 0-3. When you have the time, start reading the manual. Its the best money you'll spend on your Jeep.

How many miles on your new to you TJ?

If you don't know the maintenance history, change all of the fluids including power steering and brake fluid.

Drive it and see if you can do what you want to with it in stock form.

Read everything you can get your hands on about modifications you may want to do.

See if you can find any local Jeep groups near to you.

Ask lots of questions and welcome to the forum...

I bought the Jeep father in law and he loved it. Maintenance has been on point since day one. It does have miles on it tho. It just hit 241,000. As for lifting it i was wondering if 2" budget boost spacers and 33" tires would be fine? I won't be doing any off road. It's just going to be my DD. Thanks for your help

Slikk_Vic_TheRuler
Vtx9 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtx9 View Post
I bought the Jeep father in law and he loved it. Maintenance has been on point since day one. It does have miles on it tho. It just hit 241,000. As for lifting it i was wondering if 2" budget boost spacers and 33" tires would be fine? I won't be doing any off road. It's just going to be my DD. Thanks for your help
You will also need a 1~1.25" body lift as well. May also want to do a 1" MML to go with it.

Well maintained TJ with 241k is not bad. I have a CJ with 326k.
JBTJ is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtx9 View Post
I bought the Jeep father in law and he loved it. Maintenance has been on point since day one. It does have miles on it tho. It just hit 241,000. As for lifting it i was wondering if 2" budget boost spacers and 33" tires would be fine? I won't be doing any off road. It's just going to be my DD. Thanks for your help
Yes, the body lift and motor mount lift will help. You're going to lose some of the pep going to 33" tires, 4.10 axle gearing would help with that.

Or put some 31" tires on without adding anything else?...
Knuckelhead is offline  
Reply

Tags
tj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome