mustang engine fit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mustang engine fit

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

mustang engine fit

ok so i own a YJ but iv been thinking of getting TJ to add to the garage. I have a chance to get a 4.6L V8 from a mustang GT.

Will it fit with minor mods? or am i running into a big pile of problems?...

Anonymous6915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

The 4.6 is very wide at the heads, like big block wide. Don't know if it will fit or not. To get a good idea about how wide it is go find a 95 Mustang with the 5.0 look under the hood, then look at a 96 with the 4.6.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If i remember correctly this was measured a while back (like 2 years ago) and while the engine *might* fit between the shock tower/fenderwells, there wouldn't be much room for it to torque, and headers would be near impossible to fit. Bad choice.
Too bad, great engine.
The width of the engine compt in my 07 Stang is MUCH wider than the width of the TJ, even tho the TJ is fairly roomy.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What year is the GT. Sounds like a 260 HP? Stroke the 4.0 and keep some torque and horsepower!Great engine in the Cobras.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

its a 2000 gt...it used to be 260HP b4 the engine was modded heavily....guess i cant take it...to bad cuz i was gunna get it close to free...might just take it and sell it...
Unread 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
BillyV65
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, I know the 5.2/5.9 Dodge Magnum motors are a fairly tight fit between the fenders with the accessories on and I have seen how wide the 4.6 is and I doubt it would fit.

Couldn't hurt to take a few measurements though before you ditch the idea just to make sure, especially if you can get a deal on the 4.6!
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

the pic above sums it up. You will notice that fords are not used in jeeps very often at all and for a reason. Unlike chevys the bellhousings on fords are different so for example. If you had a 350 chevy motor u could use a th350 trans, a th400 a 700r4, a 4l60e, a 4l80e get the point. And those are just the auto trans. the bellhousings match up to all of those where ford does not. I had a newer ford motor that I was going to put into a bronco trans and all. But when I got it and noticed how fricking huge the top end of the motor was and the amount of work I sold it. My vortec 8.1 was smaller than the smallblock ford motor as far as size. Bad choice imho to top it off then you have to try and find a transfercase that will work with that trans. all around a pain in the ***
Unread 09-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Buy it then sell it at a profit. Put said profit into the Jeep.
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Buy it then sell it at a profit. Put said profit into the Jeep.
my idea exactly..
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWorthyFab View Post
the pic above sums it up. You will notice that fords are not used in jeeps very often at all and for a reason.
Not the newer modular motors anyway. Older Fords such as that 302 in the pic work fine and aren't that uncommon. Among Ford fans anyway... (me I'd go SBC.)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Not the newer modular motors anyway. Older Fords such as that 302 in the pic work fine and aren't that uncommon. Among Ford fans anyway... (me I'd go SBC.)

If you are going to go to the effort of doing a V8 swap why would you not want to go with an injected motor is where my question stems? Go to pirate. Look at all the jeeps for sale. Look at the adds that have been sold and the ones that are still up for sale. It it has a ford motor in it, it doesnt' sell. It's just the trend. I'm not against fords in any way. There just are not very many of them in jeeps and for great reasons. Resale is VERY poor and the fact that their bellhousings don't match up to much is another. Not to mention that since the 205 in the OLD fords the tcases are poor. This can be said for many other brands as well even chevy but a chevy swap will cost you much less in the long run and will have a higher resale. I turned down a 2008 motor out of a GT with a trans for 2200. Sure it was a good buy but not what I was after. If it came out of a GT and has an auto behind it that is not a 4wd trans and have fun with the cost of an adapter and the cost of it to mate that to a decent Tcase. Unless you plan on buying a new atlas or something to the effect. Im only saying this as a friend and a heads up post. You will have a LOT of money it in and you will NOT see the return. I promice you of that.
Unread 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

FYI. Look for a 6 ltr with a 4l80e behind it. Torque monsters and they flat *** get it. That's what I run in my buggy and LOVE IT!! They can be had on the cheap. It's a V8. Sounds GREAT! The resale on your jeep with that in there would be huge. Go to Autoparts.com That site has every make of every vehicle you would ever want. You can find one with a trans mated to it in perfect running condition for around $1500. They are an LT1 motor. Injected. Aftermarket support is cheap.(unlike ford)

Last edited by TrailWorthyFab; 10-01-2009 at 12:30 PM..
TrailWorthyFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think i would want a 4.6 ford in a jeep. I love the engines, and have one in my mustang with gobs of torque (over 330ft/lbs from 2000rpms to redline, 405ft/lbs peak), but the off idle low throttle TQ sucks pretty bad. If i do an engine swap in the jeep it will be the 5.7L hemi, just so i can keep it smog legal.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWorthyFab View Post
FYI. Look for a 6 ltr with a 4l80e behind it. Torque monsters and they flat *** get it. That's what I run in my buggy and LOVE IT!! They can be had on the cheap. It's a V8. Sounds GREAT! The resale on your jeep with that in there would be huge. Go to Autoparts.com That site has every make of every vehicle you would ever want. You can find one with a trans mated to it in perfect running condition for around $1500. They are an LT1 motor. Injected. Aftermarket support is cheap.(unlike ford)

THAT THING IS SAWEET!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.