Multiple cylinder misfire!!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Multiple cylinder misfire!!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #61
SpecialTwinky

Haven't posted in a while because I have been trying to figure out this jeep. But the misfiring is still there. It is every cylinder except for 2 that misfires. I also found that now the tranny doesn't go form second to third gear very nicely. It starts to jerk and go all crazy when it is time to shift. I can't tell if it does shift but I am pretty positive that it doesn't shift into third because I can't get it to go any faster. Could this cause the engine to misfire or not necisaraly. And also, can the computer be causing the misfires? Would it be bad?

SpecialTwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #62
IrishDude
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue with my TJ. Throwing p300, p301 codes. Bring it to a shop and they cleared the codes and what not. But they never really fixed it, just put a bandaid on it i guess. After the second try with this shop, I tried a different shop. They replaced the cat and and everything up to the headers. Fixed it. Jeep runs like new. Just my 2 cents....
IrishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #63
squirt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yesterday driving home A1A along the coast at around 35-40 mph started running rough and seemed like it was running, barely, on 3 cylinders, CEL flashing off and on, then steady on. p0301 and p0305 came up.
It's dark so I quick disconnect the battery and call it a night.
Up this morning and start with spark plugs. all looked OK, only 4-5k miles old.
Engine was running fine up until a week ago. seemed like the typical jeep BS.
Had noticed at about the same time a low tone vibration. It became more pronounced up until last night. got underneath and started hitting everything with a rubber mallet trying to find the source of the vibration. Found it....
The flange bolts that hold the exhaust to the header were very loose. luckily everything must have just started to get loose as it was easy to tighten all four bolts using 3/8"drive short socket with one 10" and three 3" extensions.
Made it easy to work around the cats and get the socket on the bolt head.
Runs great. Figure the O2 sensors must have read the exhaust leak as a running lean issue and basically enriched the fuel ratio, choking the engine with fuel causing the misfire codes.

Last edited by squirt; 11-14-2013 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: GOT RID OF BOTTOM LINE
squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #64
02MoabTJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hello Jeepers, I'm pulling this thread back up because I have had the same problem for almost a year now, not having fixed the problem with replacing the CPS, TPS, Coil, Plugs, Fuel pump, and cleaning the throttle body with combustion chamber cleaner (MOPAR). My mechanic (former Chrysler service manager) has pointed out, and I saw this, that the CEL blinks codes 0300, 0301, 0302, etc at will exactly at 2,250 RPM to 2,500 RPM if kept there steadily for more than 10 seconds. Unbelievable... Even worse, we live in Ca. and smog is due early May!

5.5 RE Long-arm Tri-link, 4.56 gears, 35" MTRs, LoD Signature Tire-Carrier with Jerry-can holders and Safari-rack, Grande30 upgrade front / G2 Dana 44 35-spline with Disc rear same 4.56 gearing - ARB on all.
02MoabTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #65
SpecialTwinky

Sorry haven't been on in a while. Figured out that my issue is with a grounding issue. We figured this out by changing spark plugs and looking at the order that it is misfiring and it was different. The ground issue is with either the computer, tps, or the crankshaft position sensor. We are almost certain that the sensors are fine so we are going to take the jeep to the dealership and have then replace it. Will report back when we get it done.
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #66
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't remember if this was mentioned already or not, but it just came to mind:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...ee-problem.htm
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #67
02MoabTJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

no results yet!

New copper plugs, coil rail, TPS, Cam PS, Crank PS, misfire TSB performed twice, new fuel pump... Still getting P0300, 01, 02, 05, 06 while cold or hot. Oscilloscoped the Crank sensor with spikes everywhere. New crank sensor same thing... Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors are ruled out by known good sensors. Going to EJS in two weeks!! Need help here...

5.5 RE Long-arm Tri-link, 4.56 gears, 35" MTRs, LoD Signature Tire-Carrier with Jerry-can holders and Safari-rack, Grande30 upgrade front / G2 Dana 44 35-spline with Disc rear same 4.56 gearing - ARB on all.
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #68
02MoabTJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, guess what? No misfires (for now)

Of all things and after a year of screwing around trying to figure out this misfire issue plus $1000 spent, the deal is: Dirty/loose battery posts.
Wow.
Chrysler products seem to be VERY picky with this issue and pick up RF (static noise) really easy in the sensors... As for our sensors when looked at with oscilloscope, spikes were noticed always when enging was revved a little (putting more load on the battery)
Anyway, hopefully any of you with the same problem, check your posts ;-)

SEE YOU IN MOAB FOR EASTER JEEP SAFARI ! !

Unread 04-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #69
SpecialTwinky

Well my jeep got totaled on the way over to the dealership to get the new computer in it. Saved me 800 bucks and got me a new jeep from a guy rear ending me and causing the jeep to roll.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #70
02MoabTJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I hope you're okay and now we both have good-running Jeeps :-)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.