Multiple cracks in TJ hardtop - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
johny84
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ****
Posts: 36
Multiple cracks in TJ hardtop

So, I have multiple cracks in my hardtop, just above the driver seat. Is there a way to fix it at home ?
It makes driving in the rain very annoying, since i'm getting wet whilst sitting in the car

johny84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CharlottesHELL
Posts: 33,429
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/f...rdtop-1288452/


http://www.scribd.com/doc/102634982/...ing-Top-Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
I'd rather get circumcised as an adult with no anesthesia than pull an exhaust manifold with precats underneath.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
blubaru2002
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 2,238
Bondo Fiberglass resin jelly. Easy for hardtop DIY repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
blubaru2002 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Bondo Fiberglass resin jelly. Easy for hardtop DIY repairs.
You should read the second link. Hardtops on Jeeps are not made from fiberglass, they are SMC and require a resin other than the polyester that is used on conventional fiberglass work if the repair is structural.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 AM
blubaru2002
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

You should read the second link. Hardtops on Jeeps are not made from fiberglass, they are SMC and require a resin other than the polyester that is used on conventional fiberglass work if the repair is structural.
I am aware that the hardtop is made of SMC and not fiberglass. I opted to use fiberglass anyway when I repaired my hardtop. It has held up fine. I suppose only time will tell.



image-1378823673.jpg



image-1337507674.jpg



image-3870475949.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
blubaru2002 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
I am aware that the hardtop is made of SMC and not fiberglass. I opted to use fiberglass anyway when I repaired my hardtop. It has held up fine. I suppose only time will tell.



Attachment 502767



Attachment 502766



Attachment 502765
Would you do the same to several cracks on top where it flexes?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM
asim04LJ
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri City
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Bondo Fiberglass resin jelly. Easy for hardtop DIY repairs.
When I bought my Jeep wrecked, the front portion was broken off and near the rear window was a crack in the hardtop. The body shop used fiberglass resin to fix it and it was holding up good since 2008 until last year the same crack showed up and a sunken seam formed where the front portion broke off.

After the winter, I'll be looking for the right resin or never put the top back on.
asim04LJ is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by asim04LJ View Post
When I bought my Jeep wrecked, the front portion was broken off and near the rear window was a crack in the hardtop. The body shop used fiberglass resin to fix it and it was holding up good since 2008 until last year the same crack showed up and a sunken seam formed where the front portion broke off.

After the winter, I'll be looking for the right resin or never put the top back on.
Evercoat and others produce a SMC specific resin. When I worked at a body shop it was my job to do all the fiberglass related repairs. Not that I was particularly good at it, but because I was a lot better at it than anyone else.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM
blubaru2002
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Would you do the same to several cracks on top where it flexes?
Good point. Probably not. But I would say that besides where the hardtop flexes a lot on the roof, the fiberglass stuff I used works just fine. My repair is holding up well to the door shutting directly on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
blubaru2002 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 AM
asim04LJ
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri City
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Evercoat and others produce a SMC specific resin. When I worked at a body shop it was my job to do all the fiberglass related repairs. Not that I was particularly good at it, but because I was a lot better at it than anyone else.
Thanks Mr. Blaine. I'll look into Evercoat.
asim04LJ is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM
tjdriver
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eglin AFB
Posts: 466
Kitty hair is what you need.
tjdriver is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
johny84
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ****
Posts: 36
First, thank you all for the responses..
The story is that a few years ago a piece of marble stone fell off a building and cut straight through the hardtop of the jeep which was parked next to the building and landed on the driver seat
I got it fixed at a shop at the time, but few years later cracks began to form and now it leaks pretty bad..

Attached are pics from the inside and outside
Attached Thumbnails
2012-11-07-288.jpg   2012-11-07-292.jpg  
johny84 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,889
That example is exactly why polyester based products don't work well on SMC or polyester that is not SMC specific.

Those areas are large, flexible and fairly flat which lets them expand, contract and move around a whole bunch and if you want the repair to last, you must use SMC compatible repair materials.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmira, NY
Posts: 10,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That example is exactly why polyester based products don't work well on SMC or polyester that is not SMC specific.

Those areas are large, flexible and fairly flat which lets them expand, contract and move around a whole bunch and if you want the repair to last, you must use SMC compatible repair materials.
X2, I agree with Blaine. To do a permanent repair on the area you've pictured, you're much better off with an SMC-compatible resin.

This one is a likely case of "do it right or do it twice" .

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford
jscherb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome