Muffler rusted loose and have a repair question/s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Muffler rusted loose and have a repair question/s

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
eastwood1972
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Muffler rusted loose and have a repair question/s

So driving home from work today I noticed the exhaust was sounding a little strange. Then out of nowhere as I was pulling away from a stop light about four blocks from my house, my jeep sounded like a Harley Davidson. I get home, park and crawl underneath and realized everything was way too hot to mess around with. So about an hour later I crawl back underneath to look around and notice that the muffler had rusted loose from what I guess would be the flange? At this moment, the tail pipe and muffler are separated from the pipe the goes to the manifold. It rusted loose where the pipe meets the muffler on the side that is closest to to the engine. So my question is, if I were take this to a shop, what should I expect to pay for a repair? My other question is, would this be difficult to do myself? I noticed on the pipe, on the side where the muffler rusted loose, were some bolts and what looked like a u-clamp? (they were pretty rusty) Is that where the "flange" once was? Do replacement mufflers and tailpipes bolt onto the pipe that runs to the manifold? I apologize in advance if my lingo is incorrect. Any and all insight/advice is welcomed.

Also, thanks in advance if you can help a brother out.

eastwood1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I'd replace the whole exhaust from, at least, the cat back. Trying to repair rusty exhaust components after they've already failed is just a temporary solution. It will break again. A new muffler, piping and labor should run you around $200, depending on your location and which muffler you choose. Doing it yourself isn't necessarily difficult, it just requires tools you might not have, such as a welder and something to bend pipe properly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.