muffler.. magnaflow or flowmaster?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > muffler.. magnaflow or flowmaster??

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
CASnyder1815
2001 TJ Wrangler 

muffler.. magnaflow or flowmaster??

I have a 6cyl. v6 2001 wrangler and was looking for a muffler to put on that would give it a deep rumble sound but would be noticed. I don't want anything that would give me the raspy high pitch crap.. Any suggestions?

CASnyder1815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i would like to know as well
Check out my band at www.revengememorial.com
woodie416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
t-fids
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard good things about and from the flowmaster 40. I was going to get it done this week until my jeep got a Vehicle Inspection notice on the weekend. perfect timing...
t-fids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
CASnyder1815
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well i took my jeep to maxi and midas today and asked what i should do and they said the flowmster would be louder the the 60 but the 60 would have a better growl yet would be quieter so i was wonderin how much "quiet" was... i assume it would have a deep tone but still be louder than the stock correct?
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Either will be louder than stock for sure. I have the flowmaster 40 on mine and like it. I put a magnaflow on my 88 YJ and its not quite as loud butt hat might be the age/condition of the engine

Flowmasters tend to have a more unique sound due to the way they are made. Magnaflow is a fancied up glasspack that will reflect the vehicle's individual output. If its possible to get a "high pitched" sound out of a jeep, I'd be surprised
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
Either will be louder than stock for sure. I have the flowmaster 40 on mine and like it. I put a magnaflow on my 88 YJ and its not quite as loud butt hat might be the age/condition of the engine

Flowmasters tend to have a more unique sound due to the way they are made. Magnaflow is a fancied up glasspack that will reflect the vehicle's individual output. If its possible to get a "high pitched" sound out of a jeep, I'd be surprised
How is a Magnaflow a fancied up glasspack?I've had both Flowmaster and now the Stainless Magnaflow and it sounds all as good as the Flowmaster behind my stroker?It definitely reflects my Jeeps output!Explain how its glasspacked?
GOLENJEEPTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
my favorite kind of hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
How is a Magnaflow a fancied up glasspack?I've had both Flowmaster and now the Stainless Magnaflow and it sounds all as good as the Flowmaster behind my stroker?It definitely reflects my Jeeps output!Explain how its glasspacked?
his stroker is not the best example for you because it is gonna sound different no matter what--i only quoted it to get stroker at least three times in a post.

i have heard the flowmaster and the magnaflow on a stock 4.0 I6--which may be different than your V6....the flowmaster gives a deeper more grown up sound than the magnaflow being just a little louder at higher rpms(honda on roids sounding) that i really enjoyed.

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
CASnyder1815
2001 TJ Wrangler 

really its all a personal opinion but is there anyone in Soddy TN that would be willin to meet if they have a muffler? that would be best if anyone is willing
Unread 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
my favorite kind of hat

his stroker is not the best example for you because it is gonna sound different no matter what--i only quoted it to get stroker at least three times in a post.

i have heard the flowmaster and the magnaflow on a stock 4.0 I6--which may be different than your V6....the flowmaster gives a deeper more grown up sound than the magnaflow being just a little louder at higher rpms(honda on roids sounding) that i really enjoyed.
What are you talking about with a V6!?You obviously haven't had the them both!The idle and thru the rpm range is pretty much the same.I went with the Magnaflow because it's stainless!
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASnyder1815 View Post
I have a 6cyl. v6 2001 wrangler and was looking for a muffler to put on that would give it a deep rumble sound but would be noticed. I don't want anything that would give me the raspy high pitch crap.. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
What are you talking about with a V6!?You obviously haven't had the them both!The idle and thru the rpm range is pretty much the same.I went with the Magnaflow because it's stainless!
Dear Broseph, I was referring to his original post in which he states he has a V6. I have heard them both and I enjoyed the flowmaster more than the maganflow. I have not; however, heard your beast with a magnaflow on it.

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
Dear Broseph, I was referring to his original post in which he states he has a V6. I have heard them both and I enjoyed the flowmaster more than the maganflow. I have not; however, heard your beast with a magnaflow on it.
Apologize on the V6 remark, reread! Depending on which 2 your doing the comparison too. I personally went with one that was closest to the Flowmaster I use to have.As far as a stroker sound you can't really tell the difference.Only at idle with the cam a bit and if you have your foot into the throttle it's very noticeable.Extremely happy with the exhaust notes, and the warranty, and that it is stainless!
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oops... this is what I replaced the Flowmaster with. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8557
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet a muffler thread!

I have a super 44 welded to the stock system. Very throaty around 1,800rpm, quiets down after that.

V6's have a different sound though so you might want to try a glass pack.
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really think his V6 is a typo?

Tags
exhaust , flowmaster , magnaflow , muffler , sound

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.