Muffler, catalytic converter, exhaust, etc.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Beachguysc2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Muffler, catalytic converter, exhaust, etc..

2006 LJ-89,000 miles. My exhaust system seems ready to replace. I've researched quite a bit on the best options. I have an occasional O2 code and there is a leak somewhere around the lower cat. Ive searched for a whole kit to replace, but i can't seem to find something with everything for one decent price. I know I have 2 small cats coming off the engine that go down to one cat , then a muffler. with 4 o2 sensors along the way. I've read many forum posts and lots of adds. Some say there is horsepower increase with the proper upgrades and a good header. others say none. Then I read I need a resonator to tone down highway drone. So the whole thing is confusing. I like the mbrp mufffler sound but they don't seem to have a complete system with the 3 cats. Only 3 cat system I see is magnaflow, but I don't like their muffler sound. All I really want is a deep sound when I accelerate, but nothing too loud, stainless steel, fits oem attach points, and all for under $1000. Is that possible? Can I mix magnaflow cats with mbrp muffler? Will getting new header actually improve power, or just a marketing thing? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe the bolts on the mini cat are loose?
I like the Banks cat back...
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Kolak
Vendor

I'd be happy to assist! Starting from front to back, I have the Thorley header available. This is all stainless steel made from 14 gauge tubing with 1/2" laser cut flanges. It's fully ceramic coated for excellent heat rejection.

Then if you want a replacement Y-pipe/precat assembly the Magnaflow is excellent. It's all mandrel bent with high flow converters and "hot rod" style merges.

For the exhaust, I have my Kolak Exhaust available. That consists of a Magnaflow high flow main converter, typically a Flowmaster 50 Delta muffler and a custom mandrel bent 2.5" tailpipe. The 50 Delta has a deep, mellow V8-like tone with no drone or resonance.

PM me or email me at kolak@aol.com for more details and pricing

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Beachguysc2
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
I'd be happy to assist! Starting from front to back, I have the Thorley header available. This is all stainless steel made from 14 gauge tubing with 1/2" laser cut flanges. It's fully ceramic coated for excellent heat rejection.

Then if you want a replacement Y-pipe/precat assembly the Magnaflow is excellent. It's all mandrel bent with high flow converters and "hot rod" style merges.

For the exhaust, I have my Kolak Exhaust available. That consists of a Magnaflow high flow main converter, typically a Flowmaster 50 Delta muffler and a custom mandrel bent 2.5" tailpipe. The 50 Delta has a deep, mellow V8-like tone with no drone or resonance.

PM me or email me at kolak@aol.com for more details and pricing
Thanks, I'll send a email to you for pricing
Is there any measurable performance gain with that set up?
Do you have anything besides flowmaster 50 for muffler or catback? From listening to videos, it sounds a little more high pitch than I wanted.
And curios what makes yours a "Kolak". It appears to be various name brands just joined together. I don't really know much about exhaust, so Maybe I'm missing something so please let me know what's different.
Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 07:49 AM
TheBoogieman
Dead Jeepers Club

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Loved the sound on my Banks Monster exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM
aogmitch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your exhaust is mainly two parts. The front half has all the cats and O2 sensors. Might want to check the bolts at the connections to the exhaust manifold. They can loosen up and create exhaust leaks. There are a few aftermarket systems, and it appears some fit better than others. The back half will be pipe, muffler and tail pipe. Everything is bolt together and you should be able to mix and match any systems fairly easy.
I agree with you on the MBRP cat back. I had one for a few years bolted to the factory cats and loved the sound it gave the Jeep. However, the muffler wouldn't work with my belly up system. Ended up using a Thrush (it looks like a Flowmaster) and welding up my own cat back. Sound is ok, but still liked the MBRP better.

2004 Rubicon, 5-spd, RC 2.5" Lift w/RC 2.2 Shocks, 1.25" BL, MML, RC 2.2 Stabilizer, Currie Antirock, 33x12.5-15 BFG MT KMs on Black Steel Wheels, Highrock Rear Bumper, Warn Front Bumper, Warn M8000, A to Z Rocker Gaurds, Pioneer DEH P5000UB, Eclipse 4ch Amp, Infinity 6.5 and 5.5 Speakers, Factory Sub. More to come.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A visit to your local muffler shop might be worth while. You'd be surprised at how affordable they can be at getting exactly what you need.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.