Muddy Alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Muddy Alternator

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 06-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #1
BigYella

Muddy Alternator

Hey all. Went mudding yesterday and after a little break my Jeep wouldn't restart. I got a jump and made my way on the hour drive home. Once there, I shut down and tried to restart- on go- battery dead.

The engine was pretty mud caked, including the alternator. I've read that a good cleaning will allow it to work again. Anyone had this experience or have any suggestions? Worst case is I figure I'm replacing it this weekend.

BigYella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
Sean00TJ

Your alternator is dead. If the contacts/copper get encrusted and/or too wet to the point where they get surface corrosion, that's the end of your alternator (unless you rebuild/clean it).

You can clean your engine compartment CAREFULLY with a hose. The trick is to do it with the engine WARM, not hot. I typically hose out the chunks, avoiding the more tender electrical stuff. Then, I'll literally wash the engine compartment quickly with soap/sponge and lightly hose it out. Then I immeadiately run the engine and let it idle for 10 minuted to dry itself off.
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:52 AM   #3
cygnus3978

I suggest having the alt rebuilt for you. Cheaper than a new alternator, especially if you want to upto a high output alt.
Unread 06-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
Sean00TJ

Now that you've seen how MUD KILLS, try a tactis I've been using for a few months now- driving SLOWLY through mud! It works wonders, keeps any mud under the fender where I can get it out. No more mud sprayed hoods!
Unread 06-04-2002, 05:49 PM   #5
JeepinAmerica.com

Yeah that’s the benefit with lockers. You rely more on traction than momentum.
[url]www.JeepinAmerica.com[/url]

Tow vehicle: 01 F350 Dully, turbo deisel, crew cab,
JeepinAmerica.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
tjistheway

you guys are going to say im CRAZY but this works. i have done it many times on my tracker , my tj is to pretty to wheel and besides it IS a dodge and you all know what that means whether you want to admit it or not. but any way get your engine started and pour a large glass of water into you alternater and then hit it with somthing a few times and it WILL charge again.dont laugh because i KNOW it works. and for the going slow ill through the mud ill do that when i get old or grow up , which will never happen. anything that breaks can be replaced but not the good times of hauling a## through the mud. so come on guys let me here your so called SMART remarks
tjistheway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.