Motorcycle Hitch Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
robleeumd
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

Seeing as I've never hauled anything with my jeep, I was hoping to get some opinions on my setup planned for dragging my bike back and forth from the track. I don't have the space for a trailer at my apartment so I started looking at hitch racks.

My hitch is a Curt Class III
The rack ALEKO is 90lbs and is rated to support a 600lb bike
The bike has a curb weight of 450 lbs
My jeep is a 2006 TJ sport with rear 44

I've read reviews about this working and the weight shouldn't be an issue but the leverage on the hitch seems like it would be excessive. Thanks, and any opinions are welcome/other options I might not have thought of.

robleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
watsoc08
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The metric you need to use for this type of towing is called the tongue weight or how much weight will sit on the hitch itself. I am pretty sure a TJ has a tongue rate of 200 lbs. and your carrier and bike would well exceed that weight limit. I used to use a hitch rack for my XR650 and it weighed down my Durango pretty bad and the whole rear end had some major sagging. I would not do that if I was you. Better off getting a small trailer from Harbor Freight which would be within the specifications.
watsoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I quickly thought about this with my new motorcycle but just went with a cheap 5x8' trailer and put a wheel chock for the motorcycle on the front and it tows great behind me jeep; The jeep doesn't even know its there.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
TomsRubi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have had no problems hauling my FZR600 around on mine. I purchased a Rampage hitch carrier and it is very solid. The bike is about 450lbs if I remember correctly and I've towed it from St Claire Shores, MI to Nashville, TN with no problems (and it was a blizzard in MI at the time). The only thing you must be cautious of is how much weight is on the back lifting up your front end making the steering a little light. I have complete confidence in mine nonetheless. I could look up the part number if you're interested, although it's fairly easy to find. I bought it for the exact same reasons you're looking for one and have no regrets.

If you feel uncomfortable in the least you could always rent a trailer from U-Haul. Best of luck!

Sent from my turtle in a half shell.
TomsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
robleeumd
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I did some research on tongue weight it it definitely seem like it would be way to much for the short wheel base. I'll go the trailer route to ease my mind. Now I just need to find a place to store the trailer
robleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
billj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

See how much it might be to rent a trailer from uhaul, they have motorcycle trailers. Depending on how often you need the trailer, and if you have to pay to store the trailer, this could be a more cost effective route. Also, here is a set up that attaches the bike to the hitch with the front wheel,
http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductID=35 perhaps that could work?
Check this out as well, if you only need the trailer for the motorcycle...http://trailerinabag.com/index.html
There seems to be a lot of options for motorcycle trailers that might work for you if your storage space is limited. Good Luck!
billj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
watsoc08
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight makes a small trailer that folds up and you can store it on the back of the garage. It is pretty cheap as well.
watsoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
jsbeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.kendonusa.com/

The best stand up trailers made.
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No issues whatsoever with mine, and it only ran $119 to my door.

catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic View Post
No issues whatsoever with mine, and it only ran $119 to my door.

4 quick questions: Do you find the front end bouncy or light when carrying? what brand is that carrier? A assume you need to strap bike to somewhere inside jeep for it's stability. Unrelated but- What thickness are the spacers your using for your stock wheels ?

really interested in that setup as it looks like I could hitch a small(ish) aluminum fishing boat behind.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you're running stock springs and shocks I wouldn't try it.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
4 quick questions: Do you find the front end bouncy or light when carrying? what brand is that carrier? A assume you need to strap bike to somewhere inside jeep for it's stability. Unrelated but- What thickness are the spacers your using for your stock wheels ?

really interested in that setup as it looks like I could hitch a small(ish) aluminum fishing boat behind.
No, the front end is fine, but remember, that KTM 300 is only about 225lbs, not the 450lbs that was mentioned. The carrier is a Rage brand aluminum one. A number of places sell that brand, but I bought off eBay because it had free shipping. I like the light weight of the aluminum. Less tongue weight on the jeep and easier to install / remove. As for stability, you are correct. If you use just the tie downs it likes to bounce a little, which I don't care for for a number of reasons. I put a piece of foam between the bike and the swing away carrier then use a strap from the bike frame to around the carrier, if that makes sense. Stays virtually immobile, causes no crazy handling characteristics, and I don't worry a bit about it.

Spacers are 1" spidertrax units, if I remember correctly.
catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj View Post
See how much it might be to rent a trailer from uhaul, they have motorcycle trailers.
FYI, U-Haul won't rent to you if you have a soft top.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hitch , motorcycle carrier , rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.