Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

motor making a ticking noise - what does it mean???

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  paul olllllllo 
#1 ·
The motor in my 99 SE (97000 miles) has started to make a ticking noise. It's most pronounced when the engine is cold, but even after running if for awhile I can here it at about the 2500RPM range. I'm pretty familiar with engines, but I don't know what this could be? A motor mount? Maybe something internal? I don't know. Looking for some ideas before I go to the stealership.

Peace.

#4 ·
Oh boy...I thought that was only a problem on the 4.0 engines, not the 2.5. What do you guys recommend between Banks and Borla? Where is a good place to purchase?

#5 ·
I checked a couple websites for borla/banks and it doesn't look like they make a replacement manifold/header for the 2.5. I really hope I don't have to get the DM replacement. :mad:

#6 ·
DrEvil said:
I checked a couple websites for borla/banks and it doesn't look like they make a replacement manifold/header for the 2.5. I really hope I don't have to get the DM replacement. :mad:
The only one available right now id the pace setter header, and they suck. Banks is in the testing stages for the 4cyl, and it should be available in a couple months [fingers crossed]. Until then try changing to a 5w30 synthetic oil if your not running that already to rule out lifter tick.

#7 ·
So is this problem uncommon with the 2.5 liter? Seems like there would be more of an aftermarket if it was common. I will try running a 5w30 synthetic and see if that helps. I've only been running a regular 10w30.

#8 ·
DrEvil said:
So is this problem uncommon with the 2.5 liter? Seems like there would be more of an aftermarket if it was common. I will try running a 5w30 synthetic and see if that helps. I've only been running a regular 10w30.
It is common to crack a manifold, but the low number of 2.5L (about 5 - 4.0l's to 1 - 2.5L ratio) demand compared to a 4.0L is what keeps the aftermarket from making the header.

What I normally do in my jeep is run 2.5L of 5w30 and 2.5L of 10w30 and it keeps the tickeing to a minimum.

#9 ·
where is the tick coming from, how loud is it?..an cracked manifold can be mistaken for a major internal engine problem due to how loud it is....lifters tapping piston slap injectors etc etc as usually fairly quiet and go away once oil migrates completely around the engine....but its not uncommon for hear lifters/injectors etc when a engine is cold, and its also not uncommon for the exhaust manifold to crack in the 2.5l...i'd suggest using a stethiscope (sp?) to detirmine where the sound is coming from before committing to a new exhaust manifold....its pretty much impossible to determine problems w/o actually seeing it...

#10 ·
it could be a bomb!!!!!

DrEvil said:
The motor in my 99 SE (97000 miles) has started to make a ticking noise. It's most pronounced when the engine is cold, but even after running if for awhile I can here it at about the 2500RPM range. I'm pretty familiar with engines, but I don't know what this could be? A motor mount? Maybe something internal? I don't know. Looking for some ideas before I go to the stealership.

Peace.
i think it could be that there is a small terrorist cell after you and they put a bomb under you hood (you gotta be careful with a vehicle that allows access to your engine compartment from the outside) lol

paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.